Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA and residency credits
(08-01-2021, 01:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ss20ts , that's because you're looking at the civilian web page and the user is military.  Here's the info: https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees

Whoa that's weird how different the residency waiver is for military! 

There's this:

*Tuition effective 7/1/20 to 6/30/21. Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Someone forget to update the website?
(08-01-2021, 01:09 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ss20ts , that's because you're looking at the civilian web page and the user is military.  Here's the info: https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees

Have 9 credits when counting SOS-110, LIB-395 and American Govt. Then need 15 UL credits. Taking them at TESU, then no need for residency waiver. Taking all but SOS-110 and LIB-395 at Study.com then a waiver is needed. Interesting idea to take 5 LL TECEPs to replace existing credits. 

Has anyone gotten GI Bill or TA or Federal loans to cover residency waiver - or is all out of pocket always?
bsimi Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:@ss20ts , that's because you're looking at the civilian web page and the user is military.  Here's the info: https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees

Have 9 credits when counting SOS-110, LIB-395 and American Govt. Then need 15 UL credits. Taking them at TESU, then no need for residency waiver. Taking all but SOS-110 and LIB-395 at Study.com then a waiver is needed. Interesting idea to take 5 LL TECEPs to replace existing credits. 

Has anyone gotten GI Bill or TA or Federal loans to cover residency waiver - or is all out of pocket always?

Residency waiver is always out of pocket as it's not a "course" you take. dfrecore and I always recommend to do LL TECEPS even if it duplicates your current credits, that is to get your residency credits and remove the residency waiver fee, you just need 5... since you need UL, there are 3 UL Liberal Arts ones (yes, I am talking about the UL Psych and two Business Communications courses as a communications IS a Humanities course), you can ask about the NEG-401 to see if it hits a Humanities or Social Science requirement.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-31-2021, 08:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.
I always find it a bit strange when this said. Sure PLA may not be worth it for lower level courses, but for upper level courses that people tend to struggle to find there's plenty worth there.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(08-01-2021, 03:56 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 08:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.
I always find it a bit strange when this said.  Sure PLA may not be worth it for lower level courses, but for upper level courses that people tend to struggle to find there's plenty worth there.

In my experience, PLAs are extremely time consuming with a boatload of writing and documenting which isn't always easy to do. Quite often it's faster and easier to complete a class on Study.com that's UL.
ss20ts Wrote:
ROYISAGIRL Wrote:I always find it a bit strange when this said.  Sure PLA may not be worth it for lower level courses, but for upper level courses that people tend to struggle to find there's plenty worth there.

In my experience, PLAs are extremely time consuming with a boatload of writing and documenting which isn't always easy to do. Quite often it's faster and easier to complete a class on Study.com that's UL.

PLA's are best used for upper level courses that are hard to find for cheap as it is very cumbersome in regards to length and number of writings needed to document equivalent experience. Some like using this for Graduate PLA's if it's possible at your institution of choice. If the student has the energy and time to create a portfolio for credit purposes, this would be a valid option for those expensive upper level ones that can't be found available elsewhere.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-01-2021, 04:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 03:56 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
I always find it a bit strange when this said.  Sure PLA may not be worth it for lower level courses, but for upper level courses that people tend to struggle to find there's plenty worth there.

Don't get me wrong I definitely agree with doing Sophia, SDC, etc. If they have the courses. I can only speak on TESU PLA, it's not as time consuming as it seems if you know what you're doing.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 495 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,383 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 791 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,125 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 619 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill