Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA at TESU
I know PLA doesn't get a lot of love on this forum, but I wanted to share my experience just incase it helps someone. I've been working on the BA in Environmental Studies at TESU. As most know getting enough credits isn't easy. I wanted to try my hand at PLAing.

First I looked through the TESU PLA database and found four courses that would fit into my degree plan.

I wrote down each requirement and went through MOOCs, webinars, volunteer work, books, etc. That I had already completed to see if any fit the requirements. After that I went through platforms like Coursera, edx, OpenLearn, etc. To see if there were courses that fit the remaining requirements. (You can work on your evidence as you do your papers i.e. taking courses, volunteering, etc.)

Then I looked at the learning outcomes of each course, I broke them down line by line and explained how I knew *insert whatever the outcome is* for this area it literally depends on what the outcome is. I had one that asked me to explain what a certain book was about and a different one that wanted to know the different process of the Nitrogen cycle, so this one may vary greatly.

The easiest part for me was my narrative this is where I was able to tell the story of how I knew the information, where I learned it, and how I could put it all together.

If you don't like writing I wouldn't recommend it. I've heard of portfolios being 30 plus pages whereas my longest was 14 pages with evidence pages and bibliographies. I honestly don't think it's the length that matters, but the fact you can prove you have college level knowledge on the subject.

Again I know it's not one of the best options if you have exams or courses to take, but it is an option.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • Muldoon, ss20ts
Thanks for sharing your experience with PLA. I rarely see people take colleges up on the PLA so it's nice to hear what is involved and from someone who was successful with completing the work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL
(10-21-2020, 01:47 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I know PLA doesn't get a lot of love on this forum, but I wanted to share my experience just incase it helps someone. I've been working on the BA in Environmental Studies at TESU. As most know getting enough credits isn't easy. I wanted to try my hand at PLAing.

First I looked through the TESU  PLA database and found four courses that would fit into my degree plan.

I wrote down each requirement and went through MOOCs, webinars, volunteer work, books, etc. That I had already completed to see if any fit the requirements. After that I went through platforms like Coursera, edx, OpenLearn, etc. To see if there were courses that fit the remaining requirements.  (You can work on your evidence as you do your papers i.e. taking courses,  volunteering,  etc.)

Then I looked at the learning outcomes of each course, I broke them down line by line and explained how I knew *insert whatever the outcome is*  for this area it literally depends on what the outcome is. I had one that asked me to explain what a certain book was about and a different one that wanted to know the different process of the Nitrogen cycle, so this one may vary greatly.

The easiest part for me was my narrative this is where I was able to tell the story of how I knew the information, where I learned it, and how I could put it all together.

If you don't like writing I wouldn't recommend it. I've heard of portfolios being 30 plus pages whereas my longest was 14 pages with evidence pages and bibliographies. I honestly don't think it's the length that matters, but the fact you can prove you have college level knowledge on the subject.

Again I know it's not one of the best options if you have exams or courses to take, but it is an option.

Thank you for the info.

You didn't mention if TESU gave you credit for the courses?  If they brought them in as you expected?  Can you give any additional info?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For the pricing which may vary a bit for the PLA 200 course (mandatory 8 week course) depending on your tuition plan i.e. if your military or doing pay per credit that raises the price some. But generally speaking you could get from portfolios alone 12 credits for 32.41 a credit. If you're military it's 250 per credit so 500 for PLA 200. You don't need PLA 100 but I took it anyway. So all together 15 credits at 75.93 a credit.

It's not that bad, but again it's not the cheapest option, but I hope this helps anyone who decides that yes PLA is for me.

(10-21-2020, 11:39 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 01:47 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: I know PLA doesn't get a lot of love on this forum, but I wanted to share my experience just incase it helps someone. I've been working on the BA in Environmental Studies at TESU. As most know getting enough credits isn't easy. I wanted to try my hand at PLAing.

First I looked through the TESU  PLA database and found four courses that would fit into my degree plan.

I wrote down each requirement and went through MOOCs, webinars, volunteer work, books, etc. That I had already completed to see if any fit the requirements. After that I went through platforms like Coursera, edx, OpenLearn, etc. To see if there were courses that fit the remaining requirements.  (You can work on your evidence as you do your papers i.e. taking courses,  volunteering,  etc.)

Then I looked at the learning outcomes of each course, I broke them down line by line and explained how I knew *insert whatever the outcome is*  for this area it literally depends on what the outcome is. I had one that asked me to explain what a certain book was about and a different one that wanted to know the different process of the Nitrogen cycle, so this one may vary greatly.

Thank you for the info.

You didn't mention if TESU gave you credit for the courses?  If they brought them in as you expected?  Can you give any additional info?
I looked in the database specifically for environmental courses and found 4 I thought would work based on their designation as ENS and one solely in its name of chemistry in the Environment. I talked to my advisor and we put them where they should fit and locked them in.

Edit to add yes they awarded me credit for the courses. The courses I chose were 3 credits each.

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Yo! That's great news! What were the 4 courses? Mind me asking, just wanting to know what could be transferred in using PLA.
BTW, what's their PLA database link? Is it this one or another link you're referring to? Link: https://www2.tesu.edu/plasearch.php
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-21-2020, 12:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yo! That's great news! What were the 4 courses? Mind me asking, just wanting to know what could be transferred in using PLA.
BTW, what's their PLA database link? Is it this one or another link you're referring to? Link: https://www2.tesu.edu/plasearch.php
That's the right link. I'll post my courses in a bit I'm at work lol

Environmental Change I and II, Environmental Toxicology, and Chm in th Environment.

(10-21-2020, 12:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yo! That's great news!  What were the 4 courses?  Mind me asking, just wanting to know what could be transferred in using PLA.  

Is it only for LL or UL courses?

Do you have to prove the completion of the courses or just list that they exists and you have completed them?
(10-21-2020, 09:41 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 12:34 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yo! That's great news!  What were the 4 courses?  Mind me asking, just wanting to know what could be transferred in using PLA.  

Is it only for LL or UL courses?

Do you have to prove the completion of the courses or just list that they exists and you have completed them?
It's for both. You can even do grad credits, but I'm not sure if it's the same process. You have to have some kind of evidence like a certificate, letter of completion, etc. to show you finished it.

(10-22-2020, 12:59 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: It's for both. You can even do grad credits, but I'm not sure if it's the same process. You have to have some kind of evidence like a certificate, letter of completion, etc. to show you finished it.

I thought that a PLA was meant to show that you had the knowledge, not necessarily that you took a course?  So let's say you wanted to PLA "Programming with Java" you don't have to take a Java course, you can show that you know how to do programming, and you don't have to have learned the info from a course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-22-2020, 09:05 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 12:59 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: It's for both. You can even do grad credits, but I'm not sure if it's the same process. You have to have some kind of evidence like a certificate, letter of completion, etc. to show you finished it.

I thought that a PLA was meant to show that you had the knowledge, not necessarily that you took a course?  So let's say you wanted to PLA "Programming with Java" you don't have to take a Java course, you can show that you know how to do programming, and you don't have to have learned the info from a course.
It is to show you have knowledge. You have to prove you have the knowledge though. That can be through lots of ways, from your job, volunteering, a hobby, taking non credit courses, self study through reading, etc. For me it's the combination of all of those. They want you to show some kind of proof of how you learned your information. If it's from reading you need bibliographies, if it's from MOOCs you need certificates, if it's from volunteering or work a letter from the organization or your supervisor and for hobbies pictures and such work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,975 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch