Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA for IT
Hi All, 

I have got admission into TESU for BS IT. 
Need to complete my degree at the earliest. 

I chose the route via PLA, however it is really consfusing for me on how to earn credits for each of the subject via PLA. 

I have been working in IT for more than 16 years. 

If any one has completed any degree via PLA, please guide. 

Thanks,
James
(06-08-2021, 03:08 PM)NewatTESU Wrote: Hi All, 

I chose the route via PLA, however it is really consfusing for me on how to earn credits for each of the subject via PLA. 

Thanks,
James
I have. Do you have any specific questions? Also do you have any college credits? Have you gotten your transcripts evaluated to show what you have left? If so please post what courses you finished and what you still need.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(06-08-2021, 03:22 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

Thanks,
James
I have. Do you have any specific questions? Also do you have any college credits? Have you gotten your transcripts evaluated to show what you have left? If so please post what courses you finished and what you still need.

Hi, thank you for reply. I have done my high school transcript evaluated, however no credits given. All I need to complete 120 points. 

I have questions - 
1) How do I complete all those credits via PLA?
2) Can I directly appear for test without attending any course, e.g. python programming or English communication?
Hi James, 
I'm in a similar position. I have a significant amount of IT experience and knowledge, and I'm pursuing a degree in Cybersecurity at TESU. I plan to utilize PLA credits for many of my degree requirements.  

Please list all college and alternative credits you've earned so far. Additionally, please list all of your current and expired IT certifications. Many of those can be leveraged for credits.  

TESU will require you to take an information literacy course and a capstone course. It's up to you how to earn the rest of your credits. Note that the BSIT isn't considered very alternative credit friendly. If you pursue PLA, you'll also have to take two portfolio development courses first, PLA-100 and PLA-200. I'm personally planning to take SOS-110, PLA-100, and 1-2 other things starting in July.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(06-08-2021, 03:30 PM)NewatTESU Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 03:22 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:

Thanks,
James

Hi, thank you for reply. I have done my high school transcript evaluated, however no credits given. All I need to complete 120 points. 

I have questions - 
1) How do I complete all those credits via PLA?
2) Can I directly appear for test without attending any course, e.g. python programming or English communication?
Ok do you have any IT certifications? And to answer your questions

I have questions - 

1) How do I complete all those credits via PLA? You can't complete all of the courses via PLA. English Communication, The Capstone, and Critical Information Literacy as well as a few others such as math.

You can do this via a few ways letters of recommendation from work explaining your skills in "insert whatever programming thing you did", evaluation reports from work showing now you in "x,y,z", if you created a program you can use that, it really depends.

2) Can I directly appear for test without attending any course, e.g. python programming or English communication? You can test out of some courses which I highly recommend before you do any PLAing

You have to take PLA 200 (you don't have to take PLA 100 I recommend it if you have poor writing skills)

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Hi James, I highly recommend doing the capstone/cornerstone and extra courses including PLA-100, PLA-200 to reach your 16 credits for residency requirements. You will still need to get at least 15 credits through RA sources such as community college courses or through partnerships such as TEL Learning/ONU, Westcott, and if you want, through exams such as TECEP/UEXCEL.

Since you're going to have to take courses to reach 16 credits, the capstone/cornerstone, PLA100/200 is already 9 credits, you just need 9 more credits (3 more courses) for residency. I suggest getting the required courses that can't be PLA-able through TESU directly or you can use these courses for an extra degree such as the BACS or BSBA. Do you have tuition assistance or reimbursement?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I see that you're right at the beginning of your college journey. Please review the basic approach that we use first. Read through everything presented and linked on that page and start to think about how to structure your degree.

Is there some particular reason why you've decided to go with TESU? In your situation, starting with zero credits, WGU may actually be a better option. Over the past year, TESU has instituted some tough policy changes. Students are now required to earn at least 1/4 of their credits toward a degree from accredited institutions instead of alternative sources. Additionally, credit equivalencies for many courses have been downgraded. This is why it's vital to thoroughly evaluate schools before starting to build a plan.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid265007

(06-08-2021, 05:44 PM)Ideas Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid265007

Thank you for the source !

(06-08-2021, 03:58 PM)jch Wrote: I see that you're right at the beginning of your college journey. Please review the basic approach that we use first. Read through everything presented and linked on that page and start to think about how to structure your degree.  

Is there some particular reason why you've decided to go with TESU? In your situation, starting with zero credits, WGU may actually be a better option. Over the past year, TESU has instituted some tough policy changes. Students are now required to earn at least 1/4 of their credits toward a degree from accredited institutions instead of alternative sources. Additionally, credit equivalencies for many courses have been downgraded. This is why it's vital to thoroughly evaluate schools before starting to build a plan.

The only reason to choose TESU was PLA as they mentioned all credits can be earned through PLA when I discussed with the university.

Do any one have PLA sample for any course completed?
Also, do we need to complete PLA for each course listed?
(06-08-2021, 08:04 PM)NewatTESU Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 05:44 PM)Ideas Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid265007

Thank you for the source !

(06-08-2021, 03:58 PM)jch Wrote: I see that you're right at the beginning of your college journey. Please review the basic approach that we use first. Read through everything presented and linked on that page and start to think about how to structure your degree.  

The only reason to choose TESU was PLA as they mentioned all credits can be earned through PLA when I discussed with the university.

Do any one have PLA sample for any course completed?
Also, do we need to complete PLA for each course listed?
I'm not sure if I understand your second question. I think you're asking if you have to complete a portfolio for each course you want to PLA. If I interpreted your question right the answer is yes and no. I say this because depending on how you set up your portfolio you can use one and change it up some to fit another course. If I interpreted the wrong please clarify.

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/p...os-to-view

Here are some samples from tesu.