Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA for IT
PLA actually winds up being more expensive than most alternate credit. If you can manage it for the IT courses that don't have an alternative option, that's great. But don't go overboard. There are cheaper (and easier!) ways to get credit for most classes.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
That's exactly what I was thinking, the answer TESU gave is great for the hard to find courses not available for cheap.  Basically do the PLA only for the AOS/courses you can't find an alternative option to transfer them in.  Each PLA will cost you more than taking a few credits at the alternative providers such as my recommended Sophia.org lower level and Study.com upper level course combo. Here's an example PLA price: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...3-Compared

TESU Example: You need PLA 18 credits, it will cost you the following:
PLA-200, 2 credits (you can save 1 credit if you don't want to take the PLA-100) = $798
Cost for 12 earned through portfolio = $389
Cost for an additiona 6 credits = $221
TESU Total PLA: $1,402 for 18 credits
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-08-2021, 08:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote: PLA actually winds up being more expensive than most alternate credit. If you can manage it for the IT courses that don't have an alternative option, that's great. But don't go overboard. There are cheaper (and easier!) ways to get credit for most classes.

Thank you !

What are the alternatives without spending much time on learning ?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(06-08-2021, 08:16 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 08:04 PM)NewatTESU Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 05:44 PM)Ideas Wrote: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid265007

Thank you for the source !

(06-08-2021, 03:58 PM)jch Wrote: I see that you're right at the beginning of your college journey. Please review the basic approach that we use first. Read through everything presented and linked on that page and start to think about how to structure your degree.  

Is there some particular reason why you've decided to go with TESU? In your situation, starting with zero credits, WGU may actually be a better option. Over the past year, TESU has instituted some tough policy changes. Students are now required to earn at least 1/4 of their credits toward a degree from accredited institutions instead of alternative sources. Additionally, credit equivalencies for many courses have been downgraded. This is why it's vital to thoroughly evaluate schools before starting to build a plan.

The only reason to choose TESU was PLA as they mentioned all credits can be earned through PLA when I discussed with the university.

Do any one have PLA sample for any course completed?
Also, do we need to complete PLA for each course listed?
I'm not sure if I understand your second question. I think you're asking if you have to complete a portfolio for each course you want to PLA. If I interpreted your question right the answer is yes and no. I say this because depending on how you set up your portfolio you can use one and change it up some to fit another course. If I interpreted the wrong please clarify.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/p...os-to-view

Here are some samples from tesu.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

Your understanding is correct on the second question. Thank you for clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Sophia.org is good for the LL requirements, as bjcheung77 already said. See https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Except, skip English Comp I & II. Either take the full CLEP exam (for FREE through ModernStates) or else take the 2 TECEPs for $150 each. https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php The TECEPs will count towards the 30 RA credit requirement but the CLEP exams will not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • NewatTESU