Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PLA through Learningcounts.org to TESC
AZDan has just reported Finally received my TESC trans. evaluation? Switch from BSBA Accounting to Finance? - Page 3 that TESC has got a new PLA program starting July 1. But it's still not clear whether or not they are going to accept credit recommendations for PLA through Learning Counts. Amiltab4k9, please clarify if you can.
JohnnyHeck Wrote:AZDan has just reported Finally received my TESC trans. evaluation? Switch from BSBA Accounting to Finance? - Page 3 that TESC has got a new PLA program starting July 1. But it's still not clear whether or not they are going to accept credit recommendations for PLA through Learning Counts. Amiltab4k9, please clarify if you can.

When I spoke with Todd at TESC, he told me all about the PLA program TESC is starting. They are lowering the cost per credit of the PLA so it compares to LC (but is still slightly more expensive) but they require two PLA courses at regular TESC cost, which jacks up the overall cost. They will still, at this point, be accepting LC PLA's, but obviously prefer that you go through them.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
FallingWaters Wrote:When I spoke with Todd at TESC, he told me all about the PLA program TESC is starting. They are lowering the cost per credit of the PLA so it compares to LC (but is still slightly more expensive) but they require two PLA courses at regular TESC cost, which jacks up the overall cost. They will still, at this point, be accepting LC PLA's, but obviously prefer that you go through them.

When I communicated with Todd he indicated that you do NOT need to take both PLA courses. You can take PLA-200 and skip PLA-100.

I had a conversation with a representative at Learning Counts a few days ago and we went over their program and the comparisons to TESC's program. She state that you have two choices, a self-directed/paced program for less than $200 or an Instructor Led program for $500. The Instructor Led program will give you 3 credit hours though I don't know how TESC will transfer that. Through LC you do one portfolio per subject area. For example in my case I am trying to earn credits in Accounting and Finance. That will be two portfolios for me unless I can prove similarities in a particular course. In addition you have to pay for your portfolio assessment which is another $250. This makes the max amount per portfolio $750 for up to 12 credits (assuming the instructor led option).

She stated she has a few TESC students in the program right now but she is not certain how many credits will accept through LC. I sent Todd another email to ask this question and I should hear from him by Monday, he is very responsive.

Also, I did confirm that TESC does apply credits to upper level classes.
The do-it-yourself course is $129. That would make your total $629 if you did two portfolios. My understanding is that you only have to take one of the introductory courses once and then you're charged $250 per portfolio. That was my understanding of their pricing structure before they changed their website, but I could be wrong.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
AZDan, what a great job you are doing for getting some light shed on this LearningCounts/TESC PLA confusion.

Now, lets say I take the instrtuctor led course at Learning Counts and write up a narrative for Accounting I,II. I pay $500 for the course (besides 3 hr LL course credit, am I getting any guidance on how to write my particular narrative?) I then fork over $250 for the assessment and I earn 6hr credit for the two sequenced LL courses.

Now I do a portfolio on say "Structured Finance", I submit to Learning Counts and pay $250 for this new assessment and earn 3hr UL credit for this course.

If I never take the instructor led course but only the self guided version, I pay the $129 for that course and then $250 for every porfolio (for up to 12 credit hours per portfolio) I then submit for assesment.

Have I got what LC told you correct? Thanks a heap. By the way Courtney is currently writing a narrative for Applied Piano and Organ III,IV,V,VI at Learning Counts for later transfer submission to TESC within her initial evaluation. LCs feedback so far is that a 1 course narrative should be about 20 pages long with an another 10 pages for each sequence course. So for these 12 UL credits she's got to come up about 40 pages of narrative. Now you can see why everyone advises to take the CBE if it's available.
It sounds easier to earn credit through PLA when you have a certification or when you've taken a course somewhere that's not regionally-accredited. It's easier to document learning that way.

Quote:Following are some of the examples of documentation that you can submit for portfolio review:

Certificates,
Licenses,
Training courses, workshops or seminars,
Transcripts from unaccredited colleges or schools,
Transcripts from nationally accredited institutions that only offer diplomas or certificates, and a
Description of your experience as it aligns with the learning outcomes of specific courses.

What is a Portfolio?

There is an article on the home page of Degree Info by a person who went through TESC's PLA process. He makes it seem easy. For music credits, he did some performances and that's it. He didn't have to write a 10-page paper on playing guitar.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I just thought of something after reading that article again on Degree Info. The author of the article says that you can demonstrate college-level knowledge gained by reading a book, but how do you do that without having to write a huge paper? I'm wondering if certificates of completion from Saylor or an MOOC will work. You might also be able to show quiz and test results.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
JohnnyHeck Wrote:AZDan, what a great job you are doing for getting some light shed on this LearningCounts/TESC PLA confusion.

Now, lets say I take the instrtuctor led course at Learning Counts and write up a narrative for Accounting I,II. I pay $500 for the course (besides 3 hr LL course credit, am I getting any guidance on how to write my particular narrative?) I then fork over $250 for the assessment and I earn 6hr credit for the two sequenced LL courses.

Now I do a portfolio on say "Structured Finance", I submit to Learning Counts and pay $250 for this new assessment and earn 3hr UL credit for this course.

If I never take the instructor led course but only the self guided version, I pay the $129 for that course and then $250 for every porfolio (for up to 12 credit hours per portfolio) I then submit for assesment.

Have I got what LC told you correct? Thanks a heap. By the way Courtney is currently writing a narrative for Applied Piano and Organ III,IV,V,VI at Learning Counts for later transfer submission to TESC within her initial evaluation. LCs feedback so far is that a 1 course narrative should be about 20 pages long with an another 10 pages for each sequence course. So for these 12 UL credits she's got to come up about 40 pages of narrative. Now you can see why everyone advises to take the CBE if it's available.

Johnnyheck, you are correct in your understanding of the costs. $500 for Inst. Led course you are getting guidance on how to put together your portfolio and how to match that to the requirements of the course syllabus by TESC. You work with the instructor on the syllabus and they help you prove your knowledge of the subject or subjects. You then pay the $250 portfolio assessment fee and once done you have transcripts that you can transfer in to TESC. In your example you have 3 credits for the course and 6 for the two courses. You are also correct on the Self Guided option costs.

In my conversation with the LC rep she stated the narratives were about 5 pages in average length, but she said it depends on your writing style. It needs to be sufficient enough to prove your grasp of the subject.

The reason I am strongly considering it is because I can't find any CBE options for the Accounting upper level requirements. I am hoping to be able to clear some of the UL credits through PLA.

As far as the documentation of proof, the LC rep and Todd at TESC both had very similar responses. They said it is easier than you think. A letter from a former colleague, manager, or associate etc. will suffice. The letter only needs to support things you have done/accomplished. Even your past business cards is a type of support accepted.
AZDan Wrote:As far as the documentation of proof, the LC rep and Todd at TESC both had very similar responses. They said it is easier than you think. A letter from a former colleague, manager, or associate etc. will suffice. The letter only needs to support things you have done/accomplished. Even your past business cards is a type of support accepted.

Todd implied the same thing to me regarding my proof documention for my Music Theatre PLA. But in addition to the programs of shows with my name in it, he wanted at least one live personal reference, but get what Todd said about this: "If you can get a letter from anyone familiar with your work, which you should draft for them to match your narrative, on any kind of company letterhead of that will suffice. The reason we demand an official letterhead is that we believe people will have a greater tendency to be honest." The other insight I got from Todd in this particular conversation: "The assesor is required to document why he believes you have the knowledge for your credits. This should take them no more than 1 hour of their time and should pop right out of your narrative

AZDan, the PLA was created to serve your circumstances and mine, i.e. UL credits that cannot be obtained any other way. However, even though Learning Counts could be a hair cheaper, I think I'll stick with the TESC direct PLA for my final Chorale Music Arranging which they have pre-promised to cross to their MUS-370 Arranging I which was originally designed for orchestra. For me, I don't want to take any chances of a non-recognized TE coming through Learning Counts.

Good luck on your PLAs. Lets keep posting as we gain knew knowledge and experience. I still think this is potentially a very tricky area but you have gone a long way into putting some light on the path. Thanks.
sanantone Wrote:There is an article on the home page of Degree Info by a person who went through TESC's PLA process. He makes it seem easy. For music credits, he did some performances and that's it. He didn't have to write a 10-page paper on playing guitar.

I've read that several times Smile It seems he actually challenged the specific courses- asked the instructor if they would give him the "final exam" as proof of his learning. I've asked a few professors if I could do that specifically for my Music Theory credits. I have the knowledge, so I'd rather not take the course. They all said, "That just isn't done!" So I'm back to square one.

I am including DVDs/YouTube videos of my performances as part of my documentation, along with programs with my name and letters from musicians I've worked with. LC still wants the paper- and I was told by the rep there that it should be 8-12 pages per course. Times four courses = 32-48 pages. It seems as if different people are giving different answers.

As for the PLA100/PLA200, it seems as if we have two different answers here as well. Todd definitely told me that BOTH courses were needed (100 was 1 credit and 200 was 2 credits and together would be the equivalent of a 3 credit course).
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,646 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,198 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,990 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,350 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,771 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,749 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,273 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,887 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,980 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77