Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PLA through Learningcounts.org to TESC
FallingWaters Wrote:I've read that several times Smile It seems he actually challenged the specific courses- asked the instructor if they would give him the "final exam" as proof of his learning. I've asked a few professors if I could do that specifically for my Music Theory credits. I have the knowledge, so I'd rather not take the course. They all said, "That just isn't done!" So I'm back to square one.

I am including DVDs/YouTube videos of my performances as part of my documentation, along with programs with my name and letters from musicians I've worked with. LC still wants the paper- and I was told by the rep there that it should be 8-12 pages per course. Times four courses = 32-48 pages. It seems as if different people are giving different answers.

As for the PLA100/PLA200, it seems as if we have two different answers here as well. Todd definitely told me that BOTH courses were needed (100 was 1 credit and 200 was 2 credits and together would be the equivalent of a 3 credit course).

From reading his article, it seems like he did more than just take final exams. He got credits for a book he wrote and he also did some oral exams. He also said that for something like music composition, one should present a piece that one composed. You probably also need a credible person to write a letter verifying that it's your work.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
FallingWaters Wrote:As for the PLA100/PLA200, it seems as if we have two different answers here as well. Todd definitely told me that BOTH courses were needed (100 was 1 credit and 200 was 2 credits and together would be the equivalent of a 3 credit course).

I just re-read my emails from Todd and he doesn't indicate the PLA-100 as being required. I also checked the course syllabus for PLA-200 and it does not list any course prerequisites but only strongly advises that you have taken ENC-101 and ENC-102 to have solid writing skills.

However, he did clarify the LC credits to me this afternoon. He said the school makes its own decision on the transfer transcripts and on what and how to accept any of those credits. But he did confirm they will accept up to 90 credits for the NCCRS credits.
FallingWaters, for what it's worth, the paper length that LC recommended is the same as they gave Courtney for her Applied Music III.IV,V,VI sequence. She was struggling with how to write so many pages on what is really a performance based subject. The "key" we found was in my TESC mentor's comment he gave me while working on my TESC MUS-315 Music Theatre PLA. He sugggested I expound on the history of the shows in which I performed. I think you could very easily go off in your paper about the historical development of Music Theory. Heck, you could write a book!
JohnnyHeck Wrote:FallingWaters, for what it's worth, the paper length that LC recommended is the same as they gave Courtney for her Applied Music III.IV,V,VI sequence. She was struggling with how to write so many pages on what is really a performance based subject. The "key" we found was in my TESC mentor's comment he gave me while working on my TESC MUS-315 Music Theatre PLA. He sugggested I expound on the history of the shows in which I performed. I think you could very easily go off in your paper about the historical development of Music Theory. Heck, you could write a book!

Johnny- you do know it's me, right? Smile

-Courtney
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
I spoke with an Academic Advisor from TESC yesterday, but she was no help at all. She told me I'd have to talk to Todd who oversees the PLAs and gave me his extension, but he's on vacation this week.
What a week for Todd to go on vacation!
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
I'm thinking about trying the PLA process through LearningCounts. Right now I am researching course descriptions that match the bible courses that I took. Does anyone have any tips on easy ways to finding a good match?
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Are you looking to transfer credits to TESC? If so, I would suggest searching the name of the bible course in the PLA database. You can also search REL to view all of the religion courses. This way, your PLA will be made to satisfy the requirements of a course that TESC has already evaluated.
Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Are you looking to transfer credits to TESC? If so, I would suggest searching the name of the bible course in the PLA database. You can also search REL to view all of the religion courses. This way, your PLA will be made to satisfy the requirements of a course that TESC has already evaluated.
Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings

I honestly haven't made up my mind about where I would transfer them to. I have very few credits to finish my degree at EC. I had an evaluation and enrolled a few years ago. I really need another depth and some general education. I was going to test out of the depth in Psychology at one time. I'm thinking that I could switch that to theology or biblical studies. I'd like to review my old bible classes anyway. Writing about them should come easy since it is a passion of mine.

Thanks for the tip on the TESC website. I really appreciate that. I found all of the courses that would fit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,633 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,447 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,191 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,984 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,345 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,764 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,741 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,265 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,873 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,978 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77