Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA State Community Colleges -- MD, RI, TN, CA, OR, NY
Just a reminder for residents of the following states: Maryland, Rhode Island, Tennessee, California, New York, Oregon... Remember your state-funded community colleges have no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap. California caps fees at $46 per unit making all classes under $150 each! New York goes as far as up to a 4-year degree.

Right now with COVID and everyone is online, it is a great time to take advantage of your local community college!
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • harrypotter, tesu-acct-student
Small Clarification: TN community colleges do have tuition. (168 per credit hour plus the mandatory fees per credit). If you are eligible for the TN Reconnect scholarship, then it's "tuition free". If you are not eligible for that, then it's full price. Not all Tn residents are eligible for that. If you're a high school senior the deadline for Tn Promise was moved to Dec for just this year (then back to Nov) and that will be "tuition free" as well but you have to make that deadline and do the little things associated with it. hurry up. If you don't meet that deadline it's full tuition unless you wait until you're eligible for TN Reconnect.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(11-11-2020, 11:57 PM)ashkir Wrote: Just a reminder for residents of the following states: Maryland, Rhode Island, Tennessee, California, New York, Oregon... Remember your state-funded community colleges have no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap. California caps fees at $46 per unit making all classes under $150 each! New York goes as far as up to a 4-year degree.

Right now with COVID and everyone is online, it is a great time to take advantage of your local community college!

In NY, the state schools really don't have free tuition. There's an Excelsior Scholarship which you have to jump through hoops to get. There's income limits and you must be a first time college student. You can't have taken a single class ever to qualify. It's not as great as it sounds. I truly wish it was. I was very excited when this program was announced, then came the government red tape. 

Oh and all colleges are not online even with COVID here in NY. Many campuses are still open. Most of the 64 SUNY campuses are open and classes are on campus.
(11-12-2020, 11:40 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 11:57 PM)ashkir Wrote: Just a reminder for residents of the following states: Maryland, Rhode Island, Tennessee, California, New York, Oregon... Remember your state-funded community colleges have no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap. California caps fees at $46 per unit making all classes under $150 each! New York goes as far as up to a 4-year degree.

In NY, the state schools really don't have free tuition. There's an Excelsior Scholarship which you have to jump through hoops to get. There's income limits and you must be a first time college student. You can't have taken a single class ever to qualify. It's not as great as it sounds. I truly wish it was. I was very excited when this program was announced, then came the government red tape. 

Oh and all colleges are not online even with COVID here in NY. Many campuses are still open. Most of the 64 SUNY campuses are open and classes are on campus.

Wow! My local CC is tuition free here in California and the fees are cheap. I actually enrolled in two classes for the next semester so I can send to Pierpont for the AAS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts

For CA, not all schools participate in giving free tuition - you have to be a first time student for most schools.  For everyone else, it's $46/cr, but that does not equate to less than $150 for ALL courses - it's just for 3cr courses.  Lots of schools have 4cr or 5cr courses (English 101 is 4cr for a LOT of schools, my daughter's is one of those).

Schools were given leeway in how they wanted to use their funds from the Promise program, many gave more money to lower-income students, or gave more money towards books for students, or did a combination of things, so that it's not free at all.

Also, there are 3 quarter-based schools (out of 113), so their costs are $31/cr - but it ends up being the same price overall for a 2yr degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-12-2020, 01:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

For CA, not all schools participate in giving free tuition - you have to be a first time student for most schools.  For everyone else, it's $46/cr, but that does not equate to less than $150 for ALL courses - it's just for 3cr courses.  Lots of schools have 4cr or 5cr courses (English 101 is 4cr for a LOT of schools, my daughter's is one of those).

Schools were given leeway in how they wanted to use their funds from the Promise program, many gave more money to lower-income students, or gave more money towards books for students, or did a combination of things, so that it's not free at all.

Also, there are 3 quarter-based schools (out of 113), so their costs are $31/cr - but it ends up being the same price overall for a 2yr degree.

For the first 2 years of a publicly funded school, California caps the fee at $46 per credit on the semester scale. So 3 credit classes are $138. Some colleges are imposing other fees due to the tuition free for state funded schools. The public community colleges did get a cap. Still a massive improvement on many of the alternatives people are using. The local college here says no tuition but has "fees" instead which is why I put fees are cheap Big Grin

Of course for the states I listed there are a lot of catch-22s, but for the majority low-income people on this forum, they can probably get those options, if they live in those states, for a very affordable/cheap price if they need an RA credit.
(11-12-2020, 03:36 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 01:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

For the first 2 years of a publicly funded school, California caps the fee at $46 per credit on the semester scale. So 3 credit classes are $138. Some colleges are imposing other fees due to the tuition free for state funded schools. The public community colleges did get a cap. Still a massive improvement on many of the alternatives people are using. The local college here says no tuition but has "fees" instead which is why I put fees are cheap Big Grin

Of course for the states I listed there are a lot of catch-22s, but for the majority low-income people on this forum, they can probably get those options, if they live in those states, for a very affordable/cheap price if they need an RA credit.

I did not say tuition wasn't capped, I said that only 3cr courses are under $150.  4cr courses are $184 for instance.

Also, I don't think most people on this forum are low-income, that's kind of a big leap.  Not wanting to pay a lot of money for college is not limited to people who are low-income - in fact, I'm willing to bet that most of us make enough money that we don't qualify for any type of aid at all, and may be paying cash, which is the reason we're trying to make sure we don't overpay.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Show me the cheap OR CC tuition rates?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(12-28-2020, 12:49 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Yeah, as a New Yorker, I'd love to see all these freebies, too. State schools are hundreds of dollars per credit plus fees for residents, plus you have to go in person to get a certificate of residence signed by your country treasurer in order to even get that in-state resident tuition.

My local NYC colleges don't demand the certificate, but it's still hundreds of dollars per credit, plus fees.
(01-08-2021, 04:07 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 12:49 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

Yeah, as a New Yorker, I'd love to see all these freebies, too. State schools are hundreds of dollars per credit plus fees for residents, plus you have to go in person to get a certificate of residence signed by your country treasurer in order to even get that in-state resident tuition.

My local NYC colleges don't demand the certificate, but it's still hundreds of dollars per credit, plus fees.

Might be talking about this? https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free...cholarship

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02113
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 122 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 215 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 150 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 464 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 196 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 189 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Piedmont Community College offering Taylor Swift course in 2024 LevelUP 10 1,109 11-27-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Stanislav