Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA State Community Colleges -- MD, RI, TN, CA, OR, NY
(01-08-2021, 04:07 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 12:49 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 11:57 PM)ashkir Wrote: Just a reminder for residents of the following states: Maryland, Rhode Island, Tennessee, California, New York, Oregon... Remember your state-funded community colleges have no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap. California caps fees at $46 per unit making all classes under $150 each! New York goes as far as up to a 4-year degree.

Right now with COVID and everyone is online, it is a great time to take advantage of your local community college!

Show me the cheap OR CC tuition rates?

Yeah, as a New Yorker, I'd love to see all these freebies, too. State schools are hundreds of dollars per credit plus fees for residents, plus you have to go in person to get a certificate of residence signed by your country treasurer in order to even get that in-state resident tuition.

My local NYC colleges don't demand the certificate, but it's still hundreds of dollars per credit, plus fees.

This fall I looked at my local community college and wanted to take American Sign Language as my foreign language I need to graduate. The course was over $700 for 3 credits. That's just tuition and fees. I still needed to buy the book which was well over $100. I said forget it. I'll take whatever UMPI offers. It's much cheaper. Oh I forgot I would need to go get the stupid certificate of residency. My town hall has been closed most of this time so I don't even know how I would have gotten it. The certificate of residency is such a pain in the arse. I wish the state would do away with it. I mean if you have a valid NYS license or nondriver ID card, isn't that enough?  

(01-08-2021, 04:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 11:57 PM)ashkir Wrote: Just a reminder for residents of the following states: Maryland, Rhode Island, Tennessee, California, New York, Oregon... Remember your state-funded community colleges have no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap. California caps fees at $46 per unit making all classes under $150 each! New York goes as far as up to a 4-year degree.

Right now with COVID and everyone is online, it is a great time to take advantage of your local community college!

Yeah, as a New Yorker, I'd love to see all these freebies, too. State schools are hundreds of dollars per credit plus fees for residents, plus you have to go in person to get a certificate of residence signed by your country treasurer in order to even get that in-state resident tuition.

My local NYC colleges don't demand the certificate, but it's still hundreds of dollars per credit, plus fees.

Might be talking about this? https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free...cholarship

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02113

What the website says and what's reality are 2 entirely different things. Only a few thousand people have actually gotten to use the Excelsior Scholarship. If you've EVER taken a single college course, the rules are different. You have to have been a full time student every year since you FIRST went to college. You have to agree to stay in NY for a minimum of 5 years after you graduate also. There's other stipulations as well. No one I know has actually received this scholarship even kids straight out of high school and into a SUNY school. It's a farce. The maximum award amount is $5,500 and tuition at the closest 4 year SUNY campus is $7,700 plus the fees! If you receive a TAP award or a Pell grant or any other grants or scholarships, this one is also reduced. The whole program is a joke to people who live here. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • monchevy

Oregon CC for ONE online instate class is $484 Tuition & $264 Fees = $748 for 2.67 SH (4 Qtr hrs)........No Thanks!?
https://www.lanecc.edu/esfs/credit-tuition

Out-of-State the WA CC's are way cheaper like Highline College? (a CC).
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

<Jumps into the time machine> I so miss the $35/credit tuition rates of two decades or two dozen years ago... <sigh>
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-08-2021, 04:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Might be talking about this? https://www.ny.gov/programs/tuition-free...cholarship

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02113

That is a program open to a relatively few number of people, with dozens of stipulations. Which is very, very different from "no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap." Our community colleges in NY have expensive tuition and expensive fees, as well as a lot of red tape to enroll. I've ended up taking classes at CCs in Kansas, Illinois and Arizona for less than half of what my state community colleges would cost. So just saying that post was really misleading about NY. Community college costs the proverbial arm and leg here, with a few vital organs thrown in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • ss20ts
(01-09-2021, 02:37 AM)monchevy Wrote: That is a program open to a relatively few number of people, with dozens of stipulations. Which is very, very different from "no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap." Our community colleges in NY have expensive tuition and expensive fees, as well as a lot of red tape to enroll. I've ended up taking classes at CCs in Kansas, Illinois and Arizona for less than half of what my state community colleges would cost. So just saying that post was really misleading about NY. Community college costs the proverbial arm and leg here, with a few vital organs thrown in.

True. But I can see how someone would see that and think that getting tuition-free credits in NY would be "easy".
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-09-2021, 06:04 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 02:37 AM)monchevy Wrote: That is a program open to a relatively few number of people, with dozens of stipulations. Which is very, very different from "no tuition and fees are ridiculously cheap." Our community colleges in NY have expensive tuition and expensive fees, as well as a lot of red tape to enroll. I've ended up taking classes at CCs in Kansas, Illinois and Arizona for less than half of what my state community colleges would cost. So just saying that post was really misleading about NY. Community college costs the proverbial arm and leg here, with a few vital organs thrown in.

True. But I can see how someone would see that and think that getting tuition-free credits in NY would be "easy".

Yeah, college here is anything but affordable. Otherwise I would have had a degree a long time ago. APUS is actually cheaper than any college here. $306-ish per credit all in. No laundry list of fees or even textbook expenses. And the Brightspace LMS is fantastic. Not sure why people lump it in with UoPhoenix, Ashford, etc. It may be a for-profit, but it doesn't charge predatory tuition and fees, it's properly accredited, and the quality of learning is excellent. I've done certificate programs at NYU and CUNY schools, and APUS is on par, if not better in many ways. Plus, most of the faculty have a PhD, and are thoroughly engaged. I took a 16-week class at a Kansas CC over the summer and the instructor was AWOL the whole time. Our only clue that she existed was that every 4 weeks, grades would appear.
[-] The following 2 users Like monchevy's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts

Free community college in Connecticut

https://www.ct.edu/pact

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 166 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 315 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 197 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 553 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 0 227 01-25-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 387 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Piedmont Community College offering Taylor Swift course in 2024 LevelUP 10 1,183 11-27-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Stanislav