Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pastry Arts Credentials/ Escoffier
Does anyone know what credentials are helpful for a person interested in pursuing Pastry Art skills but will also be earning a BSBA? 

We are looking into the online diploma program at Escoffier, but it is quite expensive and we are not sure of the benefit of the credential. If one was to bake from home (Florida), does this assist with both learning the art and acquiring the credentials needed to properly build the business? 

https://www.escoffier.edu/explore/oncamp...ograms.php

Any feedback on Escoffier Online would also be welcome.

Thank you!
I'd look and see if you have a community college nearby that offers a culinary arts program. I've read about this program and it doesn't have the greatest reputation. Lots of questions on how well you can learn to cook at home on a restaurant level. Will anyone know if the dishes were made properly? The diploma alone with over $17K. You can move and attend a community college for less and get a degree. There are culinary schools which have a bachelor's degree. They are not online programs.

https://www.ciachef.edu/

https://www.jwu.edu/

https://www.cobleskill.edu/academics/sch...-Arts.aspx

https://www.delhi.edu/academics/majors-p.../index.php - This one you may be able to complete the bachelor's online if you have completed as associate degree. 

https://www.unlv.edu/degree/bs-hospitality-management

Hospitality Management is another field to look into. Often times there are bachelor's degrees in hospitality management if you have an associate degree. Excelsior used to offer a bachelor's degree in this back like 15 years ago. 
It's hard for anyone on here to know what the laws are in FL to be properly credentialed - much better to research that yourself, talk to people there, etc.

We can help with a BSBA, but not the rest I don't think.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Fountains of Roses
If you want to start working on things now and schools are still closed in your area, I'd suggest SkillShare and/or MasterClass https://www.masterclass.com/categories/culinary-arts + business degree. Something like SkillShare or MasterClass will be at least as useful as an online pastry diploma but will be significantly cheaper.

Once things open up again, you can do an in-person program somewhere. Check with your local library or community center to see if they have any resources aside from your local CC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Fountains of Roses
Thank you so much. I will research each link provided. This student is definitely not interested in Hospitality Management as we don't see emphasis placed on Pastry Arts, so she is firm on a regular business degree. I think Master Class is also a great possibility, but I didn't previously see much in the way of Baking and Pastry. The community college doesn't have a program, but we previously looked into a technical school about 50 minutes away-- found it to be run very poorly. That would have been a cheap option. We have even looked into having her live with relatives in another state to possibly take advantage of a CC Pastry Arts Program- no such luck just yet. I appreciate your ideas and will keep looking into them-- we just can't quite figure out if Pastry Credentials are vital if skills are advanced.
I assume that the student is currently in Florida? What states could they go to?

I don't think that official pastry credentials are strictly necessary if one is hoping to open their own pastry business but they might or might not be helpful if the student wants to work as a pastry chef at a pre-existing business for a while in order to learn the ropes. I would definitely not open up any business without having worked in one first.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Fountains of Roses
as a trained red seal cook (Canadian gold standard), who has done quantity baking in the far distant past, baking at home and baking for commercial purposes are very different. I would absolutely not recommend a good home baker just open a bakery without doing apprentice work at a bakery. The work flow of volume baking is so very, very different, knowing that flow and how to get all your products ready on time for sale is crucial.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
[-] The following 2 users Like cerich67's post:
  • Fountains of Roses, rachel83az
To be frank, I think it's going to be best if the student get some hands on experience outside the home first while working towards their degree, see if there are "jobs" in the baking industry that will look for apprentices or if shops are hiring around your area. It's hard to compare the working environment with the home environment. Find a way to earn/learn with tuition assistance/reimbursement.

I have a friend, both hubby and wife can bake at home as they invested the energy/time and cash flow to purchase equipment at home. Hubby works at a specialty cake shop and wife works at the same restaurant as my SO... during the pandemic, the time at the shop/restaurant decreased and they had to make some extra "cash" with baking at home, they're doing pretty good actually...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you so much for the suggestions so far. She has done some apprentice work at a local bakery and this is what prompted her to become even more interested. Thus, we are looking into the details that would allow her to show that she studied the art "formally"as well as beside a "Master". 

We will keep exploring! Thank you!
AFAIK, cooking is one of those areas where resume absolutely trumps education. Unless you are able to go to a very prestigious pastry program, nobody cares. The important thing would be working in a known restaurant/bakery.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Foreign Credentials Evaluator Service mariobros1985 10 1,015 11-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Chankosumo
  Excelsior---Liberal Arts Degree midnite123 5 542 10-17-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Arts Institute is no longer... And they all bite the dust... bjcheung77 1 342 10-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  What are micro-credentials and who is completing them? vintage_jacket 10 1,140 09-06-2022, 10:22 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Alternative Credentials Alpha 4 758 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Micro-Credentials Alpha 5 862 10-04-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Is there an affordable or competency-based Digital Arts program? Pelican 6 2,393 05-03-2020, 10:51 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,365 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BA in Liberal Arts Diploma Plan BrighterFuture88 24 3,879 07-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Harvard Extension School Liberal Arts Bachelor's Degree EducationSeeker 12 3,388 07-10-2019, 02:02 PM
Last Post: cookderosa