Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten MBA in 4 months???
mednat Wrote:I agree! The main thing pushing me to WGU instead of Patten is my fear that they will slow my pace with grading and limiting number of classes taken at once.

I spoke with the adviser again yesterday. He said they do not approve courses started in the last 6 weeks of a student's term. I told him my plan was to get through one every week or so. He said they could make exception if the student was working at a faster pace. The only thing pushing me out of WGU is the fact that I need a GPA higher than 3.0.

He also told me if I did it in 4 months he would like me to do a video for their marketing department. I asked if they would reimburse my tuition. lol

Goblue34 Wrote:When do you plan on starting ?

Hopefully you can start a thread on your experience

I was trying to start this coming Monday, but the registrar hasn't reviewed my transcripts. Looks like it would be next Monday (8/3). I'd start a thread, but I will probably be too busy getting through the courses to really keep it updated. I still think it would be useful to others since Patten is relatively uncharted territory.

EDIT: I just looked at the schedule. The term that starts 8/3 ends on 11/20 (fifteen full weeks). But waiting one week (starting on 8/10) would give me two extra weeks (12/4). I'm sure I would lose a few days to their Thanksgiving break, but it may net me a few extra days overall to wait.
Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
DSST: Supervision
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
PENN FOSTER: Finance
iwant2stalku Wrote:I spoke with the adviser again yesterday. He said they do not approve courses started in the last 6 weeks of a student's term. I told him my plan was to get through one every week or so. He said they could make exception if the student was working at a faster pace. The only thing pushing me out of WGU is the fact that I need a GPA higher than 3.0.

He also told me if I did it in 4 months he would like me to do a video for their marketing department. I asked if they would reimburse my tuition. lol

I was trying to start this coming Monday, but the registrar hasn't reviewed my transcripts. Looks like it would be next Monday (8/3). I'd start a thread, but I will probably be too busy getting through the courses to really keep it updated. I still think it would be useful to others since Patten is relatively uncharted territory.

EDIT: I just looked at the schedule. The term that starts 8/3 ends on 11/20 (fifteen full weeks). But waiting one week (starting on 8/10) would give me two extra weeks (12/4). I'm sure I would lose a few days to their Thanksgiving break, but it may net me a few extra days overall to wait.

That does sound interesting. I am rethinking my WGU decision. I would much rather have a GPA, since I don't have one for my undergrad (other than a couple of transfer classes).
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:That does sound interesting. I am rethinking my WGU decision. I would much rather have a GPA, since I don't have one for my undergrad (other than a couple of transfer classes).

What situation would your MBA GPA ever matter? While I think there is value in either program, unless you have a specific plan in mind there is going to be less stigma with WGU over Patten.
Educational Goal: MBA by Spring 2018
B.S. in Business Administration, COSC, Expected Winter 2015, Started May 30, 2015

Upcoming:
Fall Courses (9c): COSC BUS 201: Business Statistics | BYU ENGL 316: Technical Writing | BYU Psych 330: Organizational Psychology
Progress (89/120c):
8/16/2015 COSC (3c): IDS 101 Cornerstone: A
8/08/2015 UExcel (6c): Research Methods in Psychology: A | Social Psychology: A
7/20/2015 UExcel (6c): Human Resource Management: A | Labor Relations: A
7/06/2015 CLEP (6c): American Government: 63 | Principles of Microeconomics: 73
7/02/2015 UExcel (3c): Organization Behavior: A
6/19/2015 DSST (9c): Business Ethics and Society: 453 | Environment and Humanity: 444 | Substance Abuse: 427
6/15/2015 CLEP (12c): Information Systems: 77 | Introductory Business Law: 71 | Principles of Marketing: 71 | Principles of Management: 73
6/12/2015 Transfer Credits post Academic Forgiveness (44c): Community College: 36c | AP: 8c
cptdilbert Wrote:What situation would your MBA GPA ever matter? While I think there is value in either program, unless you have a specific plan in mind there is going to be less stigma with WGU over Patten.

I intend to apply to other graduate programs after I complete my MBA. I don't think a GPA would matter, however I currently only have about 6 total graded credits for my undergrad.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
cptdilbert Wrote:What situation would your MBA GPA ever matter? While I think there is value in either program, unless you have a specific plan in mind there is going to be less stigma with WGU over Patten.

What is the "stigma" you speak of?

For me, I keep getting selected for opportunities that require a 3.5 or better undergrad GPA and I have no GPA from TESC. It's really been a stumbling block for me bc people don't seem to understand the school's GPA policy, even though it's explained on the back of my transcript. I want my master's to reflect the level of work I can do and having a GPA like what I would have if I were attending a traditional brick and mortor school would, I feel, paint a clearer picture for hiring managers.
Patten MBA Finance

TESC ASBA, BSBA General Management, Arnold Fletcher Award
10/31/14=24 credits
11/30/14=47 credits
12/31/14=12 credits
01/31/15= 15 credits
02/13/15= DONE!!!
ALEKS: Intro Statistics, Int. Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalc
CLEP: A&I Lit, College Comp, Marketing, Management, Macroeconomics
DSST: Supervision
STRAIGHTERLINE: Intro to Business, Accounting 1 & 2, Ethics & Business Professional, Organizational Management, Managerial Accounting, Financial Accounting, Environmental Science, Microeconomics, Anthropology, Business Law, Religion
TECEP: Strategic Management, Advertising, Marketing Communications, Business in Society, Public Relations,Psychology of Women, Technical Writing, CIS
PENN FOSTER: Finance
iwant2stalku Wrote:What is the "stigma" you speak of?

For me, I keep getting selected for opportunities that require a 3.5 or better undergrad GPA and I have no GPA from TESC. It's really been a stumbling block for me bc people don't seem to understand the school's GPA policy, even though it's explained on the back of my transcript. I want my master's to reflect the level of work I can do and having a GPA like what I would have if I were attending a traditional brick and mortor school would, I feel, paint a clearer picture for hiring managers.

Patten University is a brick and mortar school. It used to be a traditional Christian university until it was bought out by a for-profit company. That is the stigma people are talking about. However, Patten University is less-known than WGU. WGU is becoming widely known as that "online school." For awhile, I was seeing a lot of commercials for WGU-Texas.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
mednat Wrote:I intend to apply to other graduate programs after I complete my MBA. I don't think a GPA would matter, however I currently only have about 6 total graded credits for my undergrad.

>>

Ughhh....I can't imagine. Maybe it's like childbirth, eventually I'll forget the pain?
iwant2stalku Wrote:I want my master's to reflect the level of work I can do and having a GPA like what I would have if I were attending a traditional brick and mortor school would, I feel, paint a clearer picture for hiring managers.
I don't think the point is that GPA itself irrelevant, but that MBA GPAs are irrelevant, which is true. Anybody who goes to a traditional MBA program (or hires graduates regularly) knows that learning is arguably one of the less important parts of the program. What else would you expect when you stick a bunch of students in their late 20s or early 30s from upper-middle class or wealthy backgrounds together for 2 years in a college environment? This is all done under the guise of "networking" and hiring managers are in on the joke too, because most of them are MBAs themselves. Add in the strict GPA non-disclosure policies at many of those "traditional brick and mortar" business schools you speak of, and it sums up to MBA GPAs meaning nothing.

Yes, undergraduate GPA matters sometimes and graduate GPAs can matter too, in some fields. I could even see GPAs being somewhat important for part-time MBAs or those who attend lesser-known schools, but that does not paint a picture of equivalency with a "traditional MBA" in anyone's mind - it makes you different in all but name, which is just fine.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

iwant2stalku Wrote:What is the "stigma" you speak of?

The "stigma" is the stigma that is attached to private for-profit schools. While it's unfair to lump all of the schools together, the failure of Corinthian Colleges (Heald being the most well none brand) is a strong reminder of the possible issues.

Patten falls in the same group as ITT Tech, DeVry, Heald, University of Phoenix, Kaplan, Strayer, Capella, etc. While I am not commenting on the quality of the education, you should realize you will run into people who will have a negative view on the school. You will run into the same challenges in both the professional world and the academic world, long after people stop caring about your GPA.

Also out of curiousity, what 'opportunities' are you running into outside of grad school that require a 3.5 GPA?

mednat Wrote:I intend to apply to other graduate programs after I complete my MBA. I don't think a GPA would matter, however I currently only have about 6 total graded credits for my undergrad.

MBAs tend to be the second graduate degree you get, not the first, if you are intending on having more than one graduate degree. There is no wrong way to do it, but a MBA is considered a professional degree. Generally it's the degree people go back for to add practical acumen to their more academic pursuits from a traditional graduate degree. Why are you doing the MBA before the other graduate programs? Why are you doing two graduate programs?
Educational Goal: MBA by Spring 2018
B.S. in Business Administration, COSC, Expected Winter 2015, Started May 30, 2015

Upcoming:
Fall Courses (9c): COSC BUS 201: Business Statistics | BYU ENGL 316: Technical Writing | BYU Psych 330: Organizational Psychology
Progress (89/120c):
8/16/2015 COSC (3c): IDS 101 Cornerstone: A
8/08/2015 UExcel (6c): Research Methods in Psychology: A | Social Psychology: A
7/20/2015 UExcel (6c): Human Resource Management: A | Labor Relations: A
7/06/2015 CLEP (6c): American Government: 63 | Principles of Microeconomics: 73
7/02/2015 UExcel (3c): Organization Behavior: A
6/19/2015 DSST (9c): Business Ethics and Society: 453 | Environment and Humanity: 444 | Substance Abuse: 427
6/15/2015 CLEP (12c): Information Systems: 77 | Introductory Business Law: 71 | Principles of Marketing: 71 | Principles of Management: 73
6/12/2015 Transfer Credits post Academic Forgiveness (44c): Community College: 36c | AP: 8c
[quote=cptdilbert]The "stigma" is the stigma that is attached to private for-profit schools. While it's unfair to lump all of the schools together, the failure of Corinthian Colleges (Heald being the most well none brand) is a strong reminder of the possible issues.

Patten falls in the same group as ITT Tech, DeVry, Heald, University of Phoenix, Kaplan, Strayer, Capella, etc. While I am not commenting on the quality of the education, you should realize you will run into people who will have a negative view on the school. You will run into the same challenges in both the professional world and the academic world, long after people stop caring about your GPA.

While most for profits are terrible and do have stigma attached to them, I disagree that Patten would fall into that stigma category. Patten is unknown and that is a good thing since they are for-profits. One of the reasons for-profits get slammed is their high cost and Patten is the opposite of that, offering one of the most affordable degrees in higher ed. Patten is gaining attention for being competency based and affordable, both are all the rage in higher ed. Patten can and hopefully will gain the same respect as APU/AMU (Both for profits).
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,227 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Upgrad/SSBM Geneva - Global DBA - 36 months, $11K USD bjcheung77 10 3,106 04-03-2022, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Finishing my Bachelors- I have 16 months of my GI Bill Left for a Masters Kerrihoran 2 1,001 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kerrihoran
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,926 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,672 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months amilitab4k9 15 4,060 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,882 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,944 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Master in Computer Information Technology at NAU (Competency based, 3k per 6 months) posabsolute 7 3,590 06-22-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: mednat
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,076 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Last Post: jsd