Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten University is Closing
They didn't seem to be growing, so I'm not surprised. It looks like only a few schools are going to be dominating the competency-based degree maket, which is unfortunate because there isn't much variety in the majors they offer.

https://www.patten.edu

What do you all think about the growth of competency-based programs? It doesn't seem to be catching on. A lot of schools have either shut down their programs or abandoned plans to create them. It might just be WGU and maybe Capella in the end.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
One of the things that I didn't find helpful was when I called to find out about the gen ed portion of the degree, they seemed really inflexible. Instead of having categories of courses that what you've already taken can fulfill, they have very specific courses. This did not work well with what a returning-to-school adult would want.

They also didn't seem to be customer-focused, and I don't think many on this forum completed a degree there, because things ended up not working out the way they had thought they would.

This is a bummer, but I'm not surprised. I think eventually, there will only be WGU left in this space.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Got the email this morning. I'm sad, but not at all surprised. They definitely seemed to be struggling.

I don't know what the future holds for CBE. Change is hard, often comes slowly, and usually had a number of casualties around the way. WGU is thriving, but no one else seems to be able to make it work.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
It could also be that WGU is incredibly friendly! The marketing is excellent as well. Online, it's honestly the only school I see competing for dollars against the likes of Capella and others.

Edit:. Oh! And Excelsior. I do see Excelsior from time to time. I would like to see more of TESU.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
I was emailing them back and forth last week about their spring 2018 scheduled WASC review that was never posted. This explains why it wasn’t and why they were being dodgy with me about it
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(07-09-2018, 05:50 PM)Toastmaster Wrote: It could also be that WGU is incredibly friendly!  The marketing is excellent as well.  Online, it's honestly the only school I see competing for dollars against the likes of Capella and others.

Edit:. Oh!  And Excelsior.  I do see Excelsior from time to time.  I would like to see more of TESU.

WGU has been very smart. They keep their tuition low, they market everywhere, and they've made partnerships with several states to the point that they have this semi-public status. 

Patten University used to send out spam, which is a horrible marketing practice. After that, I didn't come across any advertisements for them. If you received the spam, you probably thought the school was a scam. Otherwise, no one else knew about them.

Capella has been adding a ton of FlexPath programs, so I'm assuming they're doing well. I don't know how University of Wisconsin and Brandman are doing. NAU has been adding programs very slowly. I think Walden only has three CBE programs.

(07-09-2018, 05:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: One of the things that I didn't find helpful was when I called to find out about the gen ed portion of the degree, they seemed really inflexible.  Instead of having categories of courses that what you've already taken can fulfill, they have very specific courses.  This did not work well with what a returning-to-school adult would want.

They also didn't seem to be customer-focused, and I don't think many on this forum completed a degree there, because things ended up not working out the way they had thought they would.

This is a bummer, but I'm not surprised.  I think eventually, there will only be WGU left in this space.

Not even traditional schools are this restrictive with transfer credits. I think the problem was that Patten was only able to offer a limited number of gen ed courses, and they made the mistake of requiring transfer courses to be exact matches. Most schools have general categories, such as social science, and a long list of courses can be used to fulfill that requirement. The Big 3 have limited course options, but just because they don't offer a course, it does not mean that it can't be transferred in.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I'm highly disappointed in this. I had been in talks with them about their psychology I/O degree. I was told I needed to wait until my graduation from pierpont in August. I already had the degree plan and talked to them about what would transfer in.
Now I will have to figure out what to go for and where.
Hmm, I'm still wondering why didn't they sell the school or something instead of closing it? Maybe no one wanted to purchase the school as it was losing accreditation? Hopefully, other affordable options spring up for frugal individuals such as myself.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-09-2018, 08:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, I'm still wondering why didn't they sell the school or something instead of closing it?  Maybe no one wanted to purchase the school as it was losing accreditation?  Hopefully, other affordable options spring up for frugal individuals such as myself.

They sold the assets to JFK University.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
There's some useful / interesting information about the sale here:

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2018-07-09-...h-platform
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,442 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 315 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,717 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 742 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,310 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,742 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,594 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff