Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying Residency Waiver
Hello! I recently applied to TESU CS program. I am a 2nd bachelors degree student and with my transfer credits, I will only need 33 more credits to graduate. I plan to transfer most of these via Sophia Learning/Study.com and just take the Capstone with TESU (the sample degree plans here have been a lifesaver!).
My question is this: How do folks typically pay the Residency Waiver? I know Federal Financial Aid is out, but has anyone gotten private student loans just to cover fees and not actual tuition? Does TESU offer payment plans? I am able to pay the total upfront, but I would really like to explore other options.

I plan to discuss this with TESU's Financial Aid Department when I get closer to graduating, but I'd love to hear anyone else's experience as well.

Thank you!
(05-03-2023, 07:36 PM)awildefish Wrote: How do folks typically pay the Residency Waiver? I know Federal Financial Aid is out, but has anyone gotten private student loans just to cover fees and not actual tuition? Does TESU offer payment plans?

I looked into this because my employer has a benefit where they pay a certain amount toward student loans, but I didn't find a good option. You wouldn't be able to take a student loan only for fees. A student loan has to be for tuition, and most (all?) lenders will not allow you to even apply unless you are at least half time, meaning 6 credits or more in a term. However, if you meet that minimum, then you can probably take a loan for current tuition and some amount of "future tuition," in which case it's possible that the overage would pay for the waiver fee when the time comes. I'm not sure exactly how/if this would work, but it should be possible.

Some non-student loan possibilities would be to take a personal loan, a short-term home equity loan, or some retirement plans allow you to take a loan up to a percentage of your balance. There is no payment plan for the waiver fee, although there may be a payment plan for tuition if you want to go that route instead.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
If you do the 16cr flat-rate term, then you should be able to get a student loan for that. Then you would pay no residency waiver fees.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-04-2023, 04:58 AM)LevelUP Wrote: If you do the 16cr flat-rate term, then you should be able to get a student loan for that. Then you would pay no residency waiver fees.

This is a good point, although 16 credits is a lot to fit in. Strategizing and planning everything is essential, even for full-time students. If you have demands on your time in addition to school, such as family/work obligations, then it may not even be possible.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(05-04-2023, 05:12 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 04:58 AM)LevelUP Wrote: If you do the 16cr flat-rate term, then you should be able to get a student loan for that. Then you would pay no residency waiver fees.

This is a good point, although 16 credits is a lot to fit in. Strategizing and planning everything is essential, even for full-time students. If you have demands on your time in addition to school, such as family/work obligations, then it may not even be possible.
Wouldn’t have been possible for me that’s for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-04-2023, 05:22 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

My friend I try that last semester and it was very heavy for me, the SOS110 was renewed, there was a thread in this forum that shows how to tackle this SOS110 course, but for my bad luck nothing was the same because they change the course structure. Of the 5 courses that i have chosen, including the Capstone, I and end up withdrawing 2. I had also 3 other courses to finish and my spare time is very tight, so if you are someone who has a family and a full time job you will not make it.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
[-] The following 1 user Likes gams007's post:
  • origamishuttle
I took 3 courses from TESU. Took me 400 hrs. That’s 33 hours a week over the course of 12 weeks had I taken them all at once. Add in 7 more credits. No way for me.
  • origamishuttle
(05-04-2023, 06:00 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 05:22 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

My friend I try that last semester and it was very heavy for me, the SOS110 was renewed, there was a thread in this forum that shows how to tackle this SOS110 course, but for my bad luck nothing was the same because they change the course structure. Of the 5 courses that i have chosen, including the Capstone, I and end up withdrawing 2. I had also 3 other courses to finish and my spare time is very tight, so if you are someone who has a family and a full time job you will not make it.

I usually recommend extending the capstone rather than dropping courses if things get tough. Taking an extra 8 weeks on that one should do the trick. You definitely can't afford to do 3 other courses!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • LevelUP, origamishuttle
@OP, since you can pay it up front, do that. There really isn't a need to do anything else, especially when those private loans have no grants, you'll just be paying more interest on what you borrow... In regards to the 16 credits, you can take the PLA100, cornerstone, capstone and 3 E-Packs even if the e-packs duplicate some of your current credits, taking an intro to a subject or a lower level e-pack would be easier...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Offering the extension is a great benefit. Especially for slow pokes like me. I didn’t need it cause I just took one at a time, but definitely please use it if you’re gonna attempt the mighty 16 credit term.
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age waiver question - 18 year old jg_nuy 27 2,251 04-03-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,449 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BS Physics+Chemistry waiver jch 23 1,652 11-29-2023, 10:30 PM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,219 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 670 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU residency waiver dbrown2258 22 1,876 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Reducing Credit Hour Residency Requirements from 16 to 15. CanICode 10 1,164 07-02-2023, 06:14 PM
  Pursuing multiple TESU degrees; residency/RA requirements? bruh 8 738 06-11-2023, 03:04 AM
  Residency requirement for 2nd TESU degree TopHatWombat 7 753 05-04-2023, 04:52 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com, TESU Evaluation & Residency dbrown2258 33 2,510 04-24-2023, 05:38 PM
Last Post: davewill