Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paying for Cleps/Maximizing student loans
cookderosa Wrote:I did this since I qualified for a full Pell. I can't remember the breakdown of the numbers exactly (but that wouldn't matter since I graduated in 08) but I payed cash for almost every CLEP for about 6 months before enrolling at TESC. I did that by selling things on Craigslist/eBay, many yard sales, etc. and did a coin jar. I mentioned that to someone in another thread, I think they thought I was kidding; I'm completely serious btw. Our budget had $0 in it for school (and 4 children whose needs came first) so every time I had a dime or a dollar- it went in that jar. Every time I could pay for a CLEP, I'd take one.
I applied for my financial aid and when I did it, I can't remember exactly, but I think the enrollment fee made it hard for me to work out the Pell perfectly, so I ended up taking a student loan for $5k as well. I used TESC for all of my upper level CLASSES and CLEP for lower level exams. I continued to pay cash for exams and TESC kicks back overage every quarter or semester or something, so I put 100% of that into a savings account. I didn't need more than about $1k of my loan if I recall, so all of the "overpayments" were in the savings account and untouched. When I finished my testing, I kept doing my scrimp/saving plan and was able to get my savings account back up to 100% of what the student loan was during my 6 month grace period after graduation. On the day that my first loan payment was due I wrote a check for the entire amount.

You don't need loans to pay for this kind of degree if you already qualify for a Pell. You might need to deliver pizzas and pick up a second or third job until you stash some cash for exams, but this kind of degree won't cost you even $10,000 for the whole thing. You can make it work if you're motivated. Good luck!

If the OP qualifies for a full Pell award, I bet this degree can be finished for less than a couple of thousand out of pocket. It would be better if the OP could find a community college that charges less than $100 per credit. I don't know if there are residency issues. I forgot the per credit breakdown of Clovis Community College and New Mexico Junior College, but it might be worth it to look into those. The average CC is around $3,000 per year in-state/in-district. That leaves over $2,000 to pay for tests. If a person with a full Pell award were to plan well, they might be able to get away with paying a few hundred dollars or less out of pocket.

It is already possible to test out of the BSBA in General Management for less than $4,000, so the CIS AOS won't be that much more expensive. Depending on how fast the OP wants to finish, he or she can earn the maximum of 80 CC credits TESC can accept with no money out of pocket. That will leave only 40 credits that need to be tested out of. That's only 13/14 tests/courses or less with 6-credit exams, most, if not all, of which will be covered by leftover financial aid. If the OP wants to finish faster. $2,000 of leftover financial aid per year can cover 20 tests or more for 60+ credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This is about how cheaply one can complete a BSBA in CIS. This does not take into account the number of lower level credits that can be covered at a CC.

BSBA in Computer Information Systems

General Education

English Comp I: CLEP Composition General (6 credits) - $100
English Comp II: Overage from CLEP - $0
College Algebra or Quantitative Analysis: ALEKS College Algebra - $20
Managerial Communication: Saylor Corporate Communication - $25
Electives in Intellectual and Practical Skills: ALEKS Precalculus (or Trigonometry, duplicates) - $0
=$145

Human Cultures and the Natural and Physical World
Macroeconomics: CLEP - $100
Microeconomics: CLEP - $100
Statistics: ALEKS Intro to Statistics, Business Statistics, or Statistics for Behavioral Sciences - $0
=$200

Humanities, Social Science, Natural Science, or Interdisciplinary Electives (9 credits)
Any 6-credit liberal arts test - $100
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra- $0
=$100

Personal and Social Responsibility
Diversity/Global Literacy: Any qualified TECEP - $111
Responsible Ethical Leadership: Any qualified TECEP - $111
Ethics or Diversity Elective: Any qualified TECEP - $111
=$333

General Education Electives (18 credits)
Saylor Intro to Western Political Thought - $25
Saylor Calculus I - $25
Saylor Chemistry - $25
Saylor Biology - $25
6-credit CLEP - $100
=$200

Business Core
Principles of Finance: DSST - $100
Business Law: Saylor Business Law and Ethics - $25
Business in Society: TECEP - $111
Strategic Management: TECEP - $111
Computer Requirement: Saylor Intro to Computer Science I - $25
Intro to Marketing: Saylor - $25
Principles to Financial Accounting: TECEP - $111
Principles of Managerial Accounting: TECEP - $111
Principles of Management – Saylor $25
=$644

Area of Study Options 18 credits (Credits must be in at least three areas out of Accounting, Management, Finance, and Marketing. At least 12 credits must be upper level.)
One course at Javaonline.org - $140
Systems Analysis and Design at Adams State University - $600
TECEP Networking Technology – $111
DSST Management Information Systems - $100
DSST Cybersecurity - $111
TEEX Cybersecurity for Everyone - $0
One more credit needed.
=$1062

Business Electives
4 credits from TEEX - $0 (an extra credit here that can be used to negotiate exception in area of study)
Any business CLEP/DSST - $100
Saylor Business Statistics (equivalent of Operations Management) - $25
=$125

Free Electives (6 credits)
NFA (3 credits) - $0
Kaplan PLA - $0
=$0

Total: $2809
With graduation ($299) and application ($75): $3183
With transcript fees from ACE ($40), CLEP ($20), and DSST ($30): $3273

Edited: Added Saylor Chemistry, Saylor Biology, Saylor Business Statistics, and Kaplan PLA to reduce costs.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
It just occurred to me that since you made that wonderful list, Saylor has added a few courses (Biology and Chemistry for 3 hours each from ACE, and Business Stats OPM-351 from NCCRS). You could even squeeze the Kaplan PLA credit in there for 3 more no-cost hours. Now if only TEEX would come up with a few more free cyberclasses for that extra hour of credit....
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
I forgot about the Kaplan course. That would reduce $100 from my plan above. Business Stats from Saylor will reduce $75 from business electives. I'll change it.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I forgot about the Kaplan course. That would reduce $100 from my plan above. Business Stats from Saylor will reduce $75 from business electives. I'll change it.

Thanks for that amazingly helpful list Sanantone. I'm thinking it looks like the best bet would be to enroll at New Mexico Junior College or somewhere similar. Which is $744.00 for full time out of state 12 credit hours for the lower level courses to get the maximum out of the Pell grant. Then using the leftover funds to pay for as many of the required tests as I could.
sanantone Wrote:No, that's why the leftover financial aid would be used for UL tests, ACE courses, etc.
The BSBA in CIS at TESC is very test friendly. Systems Analysis and Design can be taken as an independent study course at Adams State University for less than it would cost to take it at TESC under the Per Credit Tuition Plan. I think the course is around $600. It can also be taken at a community college, but it won't count toward the UL requirements for the area of study.

I was speaking to the difference between the BSBA-CIS and BA-CIS. If the OP is good with the BSBA then that's going to be the best option.

Thanks for sharing the Adams State Uni. course, I didn't realize they had this course.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
defscarlett Wrote:I was speaking to the difference between the BSBA-CIS and BA-CIS. If the OP is good with the BSBA then that's going to be the best option.

Thanks for sharing the Adams State Uni. course, I didn't realize they had this course.

TESC doesn't have a BA in CIS; they have a BA in CS and a BSAST in IT. COSC offers concentrations in IS and CS and a major in cybersecurity. I found out about Adams State University from another member.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Here is the issue as pointed out by CDR your expenses equal your income. Therefore you must either decrease your expenses or increase your income. Availing of the grant is important since it results in basically free money however the time commitment in taking classes at a Community College cuts into your earning potential in other areas. A pizza delivery job two nights a week would cover you for a CLEP each week so that you can start building towards your degree. I'm currently bogged down in a Financial Accounting class each monday night for 3 hours and don't have time to put in for the CLEP test since I'm doing homework when I'm not working three jobs (little EI2HCB on the way in December Lord Willing and I need cash for baby stuff.)
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
I did the same thing as Jennifer.

I didn't qualify for any grants because I made too much. However, I didn't make enough to go to college and I didn't want to take out loans. I initially paid the tuition at Excelsior by doing the 6 payment plan (same with the continuing student fee). Then I sold stuff on ebay, craigslist, saved coins (every night I dumped my purse), and saved any rebates I got. I also asked my family to give me money for birthdays and Christmas ($20 adds up fast Smile I also negotiated with the private proctor in town for a discount on proctoring fees when I did multiple tests.

Denise

cookderosa Wrote:I did this since I qualified for a full Pell. I can't remember the breakdown of the numbers exactly (but that wouldn't matter since I graduated in 08) but I payed cash for almost every CLEP for about 6 months before enrolling at TESC. I did that by selling things on Craigslist/eBay, many yard sales, etc. and did a coin jar. I mentioned that to someone in another thread, I think they thought I was kidding; I'm completely serious btw. Our budget had $0 in it for school (and 4 children whose needs came first) so every time I had a dime or a dollar- it went in that jar. Every time I could pay for a CLEP, I'd take one.
I applied for my financial aid and when I did it, I can't remember exactly, but I think the enrollment fee made it hard for me to work out the Pell perfectly, so I ended up taking a student loan for $5k as well. I used TESC for all of my upper level CLASSES and CLEP for lower level exams. I continued to pay cash for exams and TESC kicks back overage every quarter or semester or something, so I put 100% of that into a savings account. I didn't need more than about $1k of my loan if I recall, so all of the "overpayments" were in the savings account and untouched. When I finished my testing, I kept doing my scrimp/saving plan and was able to get my savings account back up to 100% of what the student loan was during my 6 month grace period after graduation. On the day that my first loan payment was due I wrote a check for the entire amount.

You don't need loans to pay for this kind of degree if you already qualify for a Pell. You might need to deliver pizzas and pick up a second or third job until you stash some cash for exams, but this kind of degree won't cost you even $10,000 for the whole thing. You can make it work if you're motivated. Good luck!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,189 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  COSC Student Services Fee for summer $275 & Technology Fee $68 frank.f.franky 0 824 04-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Last Post: frank.f.franky
  TESU BA for International Student Luka1110 11 2,972 02-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Luka1110
  Getting an internship as a TESU student Meika 6 2,037 10-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  International student: IELTS for TESU admission?.. Ekker 1 1,097 05-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Student ID Card at TESU TESUAbroad 8 3,804 04-02-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: High_Order1
  CPAPP student status at TESU? what does this mean? frostedfire 18 2,072 03-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Am I an enrolled TESU student?? lca88 2 755 02-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Last Post: swalke321
  Online student services TESU, need help! frostedfire 3 774 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Student used 102 Community College credits to earn BS in Business. Life Long Learning 5 934 01-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep