Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pell grant and the 16 credits
I been accepted into tesu and my credits are being evaluated. Originally I was going to take 16 credits in one term and graduate and just pay the difference in the cost of the flat-rate tuition. It is 4928-2115 (my max per term pell grant awarded amount) = 2813 plus the graduation fee about $3000. That would get me to graduate in December. Here the thing though. Can I not just maximize the amount of pell grant I get by taking 6 credits each term July, October, and January terms so I get the full pell grant for me 6345 - (4928 + 298) and walk away with an extra thousand dollars in my pocket and graduate in June? From what I saw on the site I would be graduating with my degree in June instead of December so really that what 6 months different but I would save a lot more money as well as not being stressed out by taking 5 classes in one term. Would this work and can anyone tell me if there are any cons to this plan? I cant contact the offices since it is the weekend but base on the financial aid award letter I receive and the information from their sites this seems to work out right.

update: I just realize that by taking 6 credits a term I do not get the flat-rate tuition and instead get per-credit tuition. Thus the only way this would be close is if I use the per credit system I would probably come out even.
6 credits in a semester would only be part time. You won't get anywhere near the full amount if you're only part time.
(05-29-2020, 09:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: 6 credits in a semester would only be part time. You won't get anywhere near the full amount if you're only part time.

I thought 6 credits per term at tesu is consider full time due to the 12 week terms?

(05-29-2020, 09:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: 6 credits in a semester would only be part time. You won't get anywhere near the full amount if you're only part time.

Pell Grants are awards for undergraduate students only. Pell Grants are based on financial need and are used to help pay for a portion of educational expenses. Students eligible and enrolled in the University, and taking at least 6 credits of Guided Study and online courses per semester, may be considered for a Pell Grant. If the student completes the financial aid process by the specified deadlines, the grant may be credited to their account when registered for courses. Pell Grant will be one quarter of the maximum full-time award per term as the University is under Pell Formula 3. For example, if the maximum award is $4,050, the actual award will be $1,012 per semester if 6-12 credits per term are taken. If less than 4 terms are attended, the maximum Pell award will be reduced by one quarter for each term missed. If the Pell award results in a credit balance, then that student will receive that balance the first week of the term. There is a lifetime limit on Pell. The Department of Education will notify the student if near this limit. Students that already have a bachelor’s degree or are graduate students are not eligible for Pell Grants. Due to the length of our terms, students with low Pell eligibility may not be eligible for a disbursement. Pell eligible students in only 3 credits of on-line and/or Guided Study coursework will receive a reduced Pell grant. 

It looks like for tesu if you take 3 credits than it is consider part time but if you take 6-12 you are consider full time but that maybe because of the tri semester system.
Straight from the TESC website:

Students registering for more than 10 credits per term will receive the discounted Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition.
Students do not have to preselect this plan, but will be automatically enrolled once the 10-credit per term threshold has been reached.
Students registering for fewer than 10 credits per term will continue to be enrolled under Per Credit Tuition. Learn more about undergraduate tuition.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6 credits isn't full time. Federal guidelines apply to Pell not school guidelines as this is a federal government program paid by taxpayers. If you only take 6 credits in a trimester then you're a part time student. You need to take 12 under the federal guidelines to be considered a full time student. Don't cont on getting a Pell grant until it's been credited to your student account! Have you completed the FAFSA? Are you enrolled at TESC?
(05-30-2020, 07:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Straight from the TESC website:

Students registering for more than 10 credits per term will receive the discounted Full-Time Flat-Rate Tuition.
Students do not have to preselect this plan, but will be automatically enrolled once the 10-credit per term threshold has been reached.
Students registering for fewer than 10 credits per term will continue to be enrolled under Per Credit Tuition. Learn more about undergraduate tuition.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6 credits isn't full time. Federal guidelines apply to Pell not school guidelines as this is a federal government program paid by taxpayers. If you only take 6 credits in a trimester then you're a part time student. You need to take 12 under the federal guidelines to be considered a full time student. Don't cont on getting a Pell grant until it's been credited to your student account! Have you completed the FAFSA? Are you enrolled at TESC?
It has been credited to my account and I have accepted the offer thanks for the info on the full time information.
If you take under 10 credits a term you have to pay per credit.

10 or more is flat rate but they have to be in the same term.

Also remember you have to apply for aid fafsa every school year. And depending on the circumstances you might not get it or the amount might be less. So if you take too many terms that is something to keep in mind.
12 credits is full-time. 100% of Pell Grant.

9 credits = 75% of Pell Grant award
6 credits = 50% of Pell Grant award
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-31-2020, 05:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: 12 credits is full-time.  100% of Pell Grant.

Should someone just take extra classes apart form 6 credits to compete the degree? Any easier courses to be able to handle 12 credits? It would suck to be approved for full aid and not be make to utilize it if you’re really struggling financially.
(05-31-2020, 09:28 PM)Edriveless Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 05:10 PM)LevelUP Wrote: 12 credits is full-time.  100% of Pell Grant.

Should someone just take extra classes apart form 6 credits to compete the degree? Any easier courses to be able to handle 12 credits? It would suck to be approved for full aid and not be make to utilize it if you’re really struggling financially.

I always take a few additional courses when completing a degree. For most schools, a bachelor's degree is 120 credits. I plan on completing at least 130. I am not someone who does the bare minimum just to get by. That works for some people and others it doesn't. I will still graduate in the same amount of time because I have to take certain courses in a specific order. Everything must be completed before I can complete my program capstone at my university. I will take extra courses that trimester just so I don't have only 1 class. That would be such a waste of my time.
(05-31-2020, 09:36 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 09:28 PM)Edriveless Wrote:

I always take a few additional courses when completing a degree. For most schools, a bachelor's degree is 120 credits. I plan on completing at least 130. I am not someone who does the bare minimum just to get by. That works for some people and others it doesn't. I will still graduate in the same amount of time because I have to take certain courses in a specific order. Everything must be completed before I can complete my program capstone at my university. I will take extra courses that trimester just so I don't have only 1 class. That would be such a waste of my time.
What class could someone take with capstone and cornerstone to get the full aid that’s awarded, give you get the max 2115 per term?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 496 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 791 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 492 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Is there a grade requirement to transfer credits? kowenboy 2 346 09-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore