Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penn Foster High School Transfer Credits
It's branch dependent and also recruiter dependent. The Air Force will only seem to accept it depending on how high the ASVAB is. I've seen people get recruited in both the Navy and the Marines with it because the state recognized Penn Foster Highschool as a "real" school for lack of a better term. This is in the pass 5 or so years. The Army on the other hand rejects it all the time (not sure why).
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

She has no prayer of graduating from the local high school and nobody is going to homeschool her. That leaves the GED and PFHS. To me, PFHS is the path of least resistance to employment and there will be no problems finding RA colleges that will accept PFHS. The presumption that PFHS and the GED are not equivalent to a public high school diploma by some such as the military seems to be rebuttable with some college credits or an RA AA/BA degree, which she can start on with earnest after finishing PFHS.

I think she should earn some college credits, but I prefer the more portable CLEP credits and actual college courses rather than the ACE approved high GED scores or the PFHS ACE options. I don't want her boxed into schools like TESU, WGU, and the for-profits that are generous with ACE credits. To that end, I think spending extra money on the GED when she's already paying for PFHS doesn't make much sense.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
In favor of PFHS - I did PFHS couple of years ago, and I liked it. I like the fact that it's both RA and NA. I took my own sweet time but some one with a focus could finish it in less than 6 months. They used to send text books but now everything is online. Their exams were not proctored and not timed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes msganti's post:
  • Muldoon
(02-05-2019, 02:28 PM)msganti Wrote: In favor of PFHS - I did PFHS couple of years ago, and I liked it. I like the fact that it's both RA and NA. I took my own sweet time but some one with a focus could finish it in less than 6 months. They used to send text books but now everything is online. Their exams were not proctored and not timed.

I thought RA/NA only applied to colleges?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-06-2019, 02:07 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 02:28 PM)msganti Wrote: In favor of PFHS - I did PFHS couple of years ago, and I liked it. I like the fact that it's both RA and NA. I took my own sweet time but some one with a focus could finish it in less than 6 months. They used to send text books but now everything is online. Their exams were not proctored and not timed.

I thought RA/NA only applied to colleges?

Some of the regional accreditors have separate divisions that accredit high schools and post-secondary, non-credit programs such as Penn Foster's career school. However, this is not really worth anything since these aren't college-level credits that can be transferred.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I agree. In most cases High school is only a check-box in the college admission requirements. But hell if it's RA (and NA) why not?
Isn't RA or NA needed at the high school level to make sure government employers and other employers don't label the school as a diploma mill or fake school during HR verification of meeting minimum qualifications? I thought that is what RA and NA is for.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
(02-06-2019, 12:30 PM)TrailRunr Wrote: Isn't RA or NA needed at the high school level to make sure government employers and other employers don't label the school as a diploma mill or fake school during HR verification of meeting minimum qualifications? I thought that is what RA and NA is for.

In my state, K-12 schools are regulated by the Texas Education Agency. I believe every state has an agency that regulates elementary and secondary schools.

DEAC is not authorized to accredit high schools. DEAC accredits Penn Foster College and Career School.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Penn Foster creates all kinds of confusion because they have different accreditation for different programs. Their RA courses are only high school (thus confusing college-level students who see that they are "RA" and get all excited) and the NA designation is for their college courses, but no one cares about that because the only really interesting aspect of that catalog is the segment that is ACE evaluated. Clear as mud.

Accreditation for high schools is required when you are a public high school. It's a government thing to regulate and oversee the laws and safety of the public (things like fire safety codes, teacher credentials, etc.) as well as compliance with state testing and how the budget is used.... but that doesn't extend to private or homeschools. Accreditation in high school, unlike college, is not an educational measure/gold standard. It's just a technicality to assure a school can get funding.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,613 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 339 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,195 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso