Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PennWest California AS Technical Studies & BS Science & Technology Multidisciplinary
Pennsylvania Western University California offers an online AS in Technical Studies and BS in Science and Technology Multidisciplinary Studies, notable in the underserved niche of interdisciplinary STEM degrees online.

The BS allows max 90 sh transfer including max 30 sh "prior learning assessment (PLA) of work and other applicable nontraditional learning experiences." PLA is available for "Students who have completed certificates, certifications, workforce training, apprenticeships, or have on-the-job work experience." The AS allows max 45 sh transfer.

50% of major coursework must be completed from PennWest California or other Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) member institutions. PASSHE includes some but not all state-supported universities in Pennsylvania. From the university-wide undergraduate transfer credit policy: "All first baccalaureate degree students will take at least 30 of the last 60 credits" in-house; first associate degree students, at least 15 of their last 30. Current students need pre-approval to take new outside courses to transfer in. Grades D or above accepted for undergraduate transfer. Transfer credit not counted towards GPA. CLEP, DSST, and ACE military recommendations are specifically accepted.

AS Technical Studies and BS Science and Technology Multidisciplinary Studies majors are designed by students and advisors and include courses from two or more distinct program subject areas.

AS major requirements are a Professional Technical Core of 33 to 35 sh. This can include "Certificate programs, apprenticeship equivalencies, workforce training equivalencies, minors, regular, coursework, internships, on-the-job work experience, etc."

BS major requirements are 60 sh which consists of a 24 sh STEM area (6 sh each in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), a 33 sh discipline program area (including a minimum 15 sh special area of interest of 300-400 level classes in one specific STEM department), and a 3 sh capstone.

It looks like students can draw on courses from PennWest California's online programs in Computer Information Systems and Industrial Technology Management, and other STEM courses that PennWest California or other PASSHE members offer.

Pennsylvania Western University California (PennWest California) will be the new name of California University of Pennsylvania on July 1, 2022 as part of a three-way merger with Clarion University of Pennsylvania and Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, becoming one institution PennWest with three campuses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • Vle045
California, PA….not to be confused with the STATE of California. Smile

(I am an Edinboro grad. And I have mixed feelings on the whole merger)
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az, ss20ts
(03-23-2022, 10:47 AM)Vle045 Wrote: California, PA….not to be confused with the STATE of California.  Smile

(I am an Edinboro grad.  And I have mixed feelings on the whole merger)

Thank you for this post! I was so confused how it was Pennsylvania and California. I'm like they're on opposite coasts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(03-23-2022, 11:55 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 10:47 AM)Vle045 Wrote: California, PA….not to be confused with the STATE of California.  Smile

Thank you for this post! I was so confused how it was Pennsylvania and California. I'm like they're on opposite coasts.

Being from Pennsylvania, I was already aware that there are several PA cities named after other states, including Indiana, California, Nebraska and Oregon.  There are also some other crazy city names like Intercourse and Blue Ball.  Not to mention Mars and Moon…. And Pancake.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(03-23-2022, 12:08 PM)Vle045 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 11:55 AM)ss20ts Wrote:

Being from Pennsylvania, I was already aware that there are several PA cities named after other states, including Indiana, California, Nebraska and Oregon.  There are also some other crazy city names like Intercourse and Blue Ball.  Not to mention Mars and Moon…. And Pancake.

Intercourse and Bird in the Hand are my 2 favorites!
Looks like they won't take ACE unless it comes from a JST - so military only. And that will probably be extremely limited.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-24-2022, 04:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looks like they won't take ACE unless it comes from a JST - so military only.  And that will probably be extremely limited.

Yet they state that at least for the AS in Technical Studies, credit is available in the major for "Certificate programs, apprenticeship equivalencies, workforce training equivalencies, minors, regular, coursework, internships, on-the-job work experience, etc." So while there may not be a university-wide civilian ACE credit window, there seems to be a prior learning credit window connected to the program.
(03-24-2022, 05:58 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 04:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looks like they won't take ACE unless it comes from a JST - so military only.  And that will probably be extremely limited.

Yet they state that at least for the AS in Technical Studies, credit is available in the major for "Certificate programs, apprenticeship equivalencies, workforce training equivalencies, minors, regular, coursework, internships, on-the-job work experience, etc." So while there may not be a university-wide civilian ACE credit window, there seems to be a prior learning credit window connected to the program.

I think they mean that they will use these and show you how to do PLA credit, rather than accepting ACE credit: $100/cr

Earn credit for life experiences with Prior Learning Assessment.
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) allows certain students to receive academic credit for learning acquired through qualifying life experiences when they meet the goals of a particular Cal U course. Qualifying experiences may include:

• Work or military training.

• Personal educational growth.

• Volunteer work.

• Independent certifications.
Credit is awarded when a student is able to demonstrate transferable learning, or knowledge that can be applied to a new or different situation.

Note: PLA submissions and evaluations will only be reviewed during the Spring and Fall semesters while faculty is on campus.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,441 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Information Technology major with a concentration on game development purduestudent 13 1,054 02-28-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 424 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  IIT Guwahati BSc in Data Science & AI on Coursera Tomas 3 674 07-21-2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Illinois Institue of Technology - Coursera (Illinois Tech IIT) bext 1 874 07-12-2023, 02:35 AM
  UMGC or SNHU Computer Science program. coryjunior19 8 4,466 09-24-2022, 02:16 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  COSC - RA credits for general studies degree Antonella 5 961 09-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Information New ASU EA Course: BIO 130 Intro to Environmental Science MNomadic 8 1,512 06-09-2022, 11:35 PM
Last Post: jch
  SUU 'Speedway" Bachelor of General Studies Completion Program Petey43 5 1,984 03-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Self-paced science prerequisites, standalone labs sanantone 7 1,448 09-23-2021, 04:37 PM