Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps this is rude....
rjankowski Wrote:FWIW, I was offered a GS-12 with basically no college on record. Experience was the key factor.

Yes, if you have experience at the next lowest level, you can qualify based on experience. The question posed to me was if the degree automatically qualifies for GS-13.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think it's a very fair and reasonable question, OP.

I am ashamed to tell you how little I make, or offer a personal testimony as others have. But I will share my thought process:

I think fifteen years ago the era ended where you could make it on just a high school diploma or ged for most jobs.

I think that the two year degrees are currently the equivalent of a high school diploma at this point.

Employers are always looking to cut corners and cost containment, in my opinion.

Therefore, it would seem to follow that the dumbest no-experience candidates in the pool would be preferred, but it turns out that often they don't want to have to train you on basic tasks, like math, problem solving... writing cogent reports, so they are using a degree as an initial candidate scrub.

Now, if you never leave the entry level service industry (janitorial, food service, security, hospitality), a degree may have no intrinsic value with reference to immediate earning power.

BUT

Some times that education benefits you in other ways. Many employers will prefer an internal college candidate over one with simply experience. The raw education you receive may help you to recognize opportunity and be able to leverage it better than a person who simply works there.

I do know this: people with degrees are almost always given preferential treatment over those who do not have one, regardless of experience and vocational educational level. I've seen it time and time again, and read and heard about it for years and years. I think it's even with, or maybe slightly ahead of professional credentials in many cases.

At any rate, I don't think its' fair to equivocate the college degree to ' I paid X, now I expect to make my money back +' type of viewpoint. I think it's more like buying a kitchen tool, or upgrading a car motor, or any other kind of aid. Yes it is possible to do most things with basic tools, but having specialized tools or a bigger motor can ease difficulty and make you more viable problem solving a wider array of issues. And, there are a growing number of problems you won't normally be given access to without a legitimate degree. So, consider it an investment rather than an expenditure.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

I can't offer to much insight since I'm still working on my degree, but, I believe the value of the degree depends on you like for me I feel that my degree will help me in the future with learning business mechanics so I have a firm grasp of opening my own business, I know it isn't needed to start a business but I feel there is a need for it, also it will serve another purpose I will be using it to teach overseas. which is where I plan to start my business. That's my value that is what I will get out of it.
TESC BSBA Gen. management
15/120
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra Done!, College Algebra Done!, Intro to stats Done!
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone Done!, Cyber Security for IT professionals Done! Cyber Security for Business Professionals Done!
Straighter Line:
Study.com:
The Institues: Ethics In Progress
ed4online:
TECEP:Strategic Management In progress
Before beginning my degree I had two jobs that both payed around $10 an hour. One of them was a management position. I haven't finished my degree yet, but because of all the classes related to HR functions that I have on my transcript, I was able to land a job making $22 an hour plus the benefit of free masters tuition once I make it to that point in time.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

I think numbers is one thing, but so is the ability to work the job you want—for me, my job title requires a bachelor's degree at most organizations and while I was able to internally promote into it, I wouldn't even get an interview at other organizations. My current pay will not change with a completed degree, but any lateral mobility in my industry will require one.
My husband doesn't have a BA/BS, and works in the IT industry. I'm encouraging him to get a degree, not because it will change his pay (it won't), but because LATER on down the road, it may make a difference. I just want him to have other options, and one of those includes having a degree so that doors are opened for him when a company wants that piece of paper.

It will probably NEVER make a difference in his pay (he's in sales).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:works in the IT industry. I'm encouraging him to get a degree, not because it will change his pay (it won't), but because LATER on down the road, it may make a difference.

I'm in a similar boat. Work a pretty comfortable IT gig, and my WGU IT Sec degree in progress won't immediately help upon completion. But it certainly opens doors down the road. And my company will cover just about all of it with tuition reimbursement, so it's absurd to leave that money on the table. It's like turning down a bonus.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I went back to school and joined this forum so I could get information on student loans. I used the student loans to cover my bills while I used my regular income to save money to buy more rental properties. I added six new rentals in 2015 and hopefully another four in 2017. I've pretty much used up all of my CC allowed time and now the loans no longer make sense. I would say if we close on four more properties and leveraging the loans properly, my education was a real useful tool for expansion of business and of course a pay raise.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS