Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Students
(03-25-2024, 10:54 PM)Ares Wrote: That is anecdotal with no source and does not address anything I was responding to.

You were getting mad about hypothetical people outside of the labor force for reasons like going to school for 10 years. I'm allowed to note other hypothetical people whose reasons to be outside of the labor force long term are more sympathetic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az, RachelB
(03-26-2024, 04:38 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(03-25-2024, 10:54 PM)Ares Wrote: That is anecdotal with no source and does not address anything I was responding to.

You were getting mad about hypothetical people outside of the labor force for reasons like going to school for 10 years. I'm allowed to note other hypothetical people whose reasons to be outside of the labor force long term are more sympathetic.

I was not mad at all. I was directly replying to a specific person's post who wanted sympathy for their poor life decisions not disabilities or other irrelevant hypotheticals. I respect people who while working over 10 years are able to complete a degree over that time. Instead this was about someone who chose not to work nor complete school and then complains people judged them poorly. People respect hard work, that is reality and it is not going to change no matter how much some people whine about it. The majority of people this forum has helped are hard working adults not the entitlement crowd of underachievers and slackers. I am sorry but if someone's only real "job" is being in school for 10 years (outside of doctors) I have zero respect for that because it means they used someone else either the family, friends or the government to support this behavior.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ares's post:
  • fmsoa
(03-26-2024, 06:09 AM)Ares Wrote: I was not mad at all. I was directly replying to a specific person's post who wanted sympathy for their poor life decisions not disabilities or other irrelevant hypotheticals. I respect people who while working over 10 years are able to complete a degree over that time. Instead this was about someone who chose not to work nor complete school and then complains people judged them poorly. People respect hard work, that is reality and it is not going to change no matter how much some people whine about it. The majority of people this forum has helped are hard working adults not the entitlement crowd of underachievers and slackers. I am sorry but if someone's only real "job" is being in school for 10 years (outside of doctors) I have zero respect for that because it means they used someone else either the family, friends or the government to support this behavior.

Your original post in this thread was in reply to the post from Marbles888 which began, emphases mine,

Marbles888 Wrote:I've been in school for many years and I don't plan on stopping. Many disciplines change over the years with more advanced research. How CPR is performed has changed after learning from our mistakes. I do work, I've never stopped working, but I had to reduce my hours from FT to PT in order to complete the master's degree program, which only took me 1 year and 1 quarter to complete. I've been in school for an over extended amount of years due to insults from people because I'm learning disabled. It has taken me longer than normal. The way that I see it is, I'd rather be a 40 year old with a degree than be a 40 year old without a degree. Yes, it may not be productive, but at least it's time well spent because I'm learning and working at the same time. 

In contrast to your claims that you were responding directly to an unemployed person who didn't complete school and made poor life choices and disability is an irrelevant hypothetical, Marbles888 is employed, completed school, is learning disabled which is relevant, and it seems clear to me made excellent life choices deserving of respect.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • NotJoeBiden, rachel83az
(03-26-2024, 07:33 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: In contrast to your claims that you were responding directly to an unemployed person who didn't complete school and made poor life choices and disability is an irrelevant hypothetical, Marbles888 is employed, completed school, is learning disabled which is relevant, and it seems clear to me made excellent life choices deserving of respect.

No, not that part the rest of what they said...

Quote:Education has no age limit or expiration date. Being productive is important, yes, because it makes you a productive member of society, but let's not forget that we are taught to shame others for being unemployed or for being in school too long. Unemployment is not a bad thing, there are seasonal workers who file for unemployment insurance because the nature of their job (seasonal fruit pickers) leaves them no other choice. So, should they be picked on for continuously filing for unemployment benefits? "Ohhh...you're ALWAYS on unemployment..Get a JOB!" Um, no! We can't judge others because we haven't walked in their shoes, we don't necessarily know what others are going through. If someone wants to be in school forever, well...that's their decision to make. I'd rather hear that someone is in school, where they are learning, than to work at a fast food restaurant for 15-20 years and making a career out of THAT!
You said you were "directly replying to a specific person's post who wanted sympathy for their poor life decisions." These are hypothetical (anecdotal) people.
(Yesterday, 03:50 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: You said you were "directly replying to a specific person's post who wanted sympathy for their poor life decisions."...

That is correct. He made poor life decisions and wants sympathy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ares's post:
  • fmsoa
The people described in the sections you bolded are hypothetical (anecdotal) people. The descriptions don't indicate that they want sympathy, though the real person Marbles888 advocates sympathy for them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • NotJoeBiden

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,059 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 521 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,046 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 588 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ashkir 7 1,179 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Stimulus Payments & College Students Alpha 5 1,360 03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters allvia 8 2,457 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,219 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,190 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock