Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Students
(01-09-2019, 09:47 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: Her husband is in college right now at a nationally accredited diploma mill.

Not to nitpick, but if a college is nationally accredited and accepts financial aid, it is NOT a diploma mill. It is probably just an expensive, but legitimate for-profit college. There are a lot of those schools and many of them seem focused on getting students to sign up for financial aid and then keep them in school for as long as possible to milk them for the financial aid money.

To be clear, particularly for others who may read this in the future, the term "diploma mill" specifically refers to companies or individuals that masquerade as a college and sell fake degrees, or unaccredited colleges that provide degrees that are not legitimate.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 3 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Ares, Life Long Learning, Muldoon
Not to further nitpick Big Grin ... But there are nationally accredited (and even regionally accredited) programs that don't accept financial aid, and those schools still aren't diploma Mills.

There's certainly an argument to be made about NA generally not being the best option, but it's highly dependent on one's goals. But yes, NA not being on the same level as RA doesn't mean it's a diploma mill by any stretch.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-10-2019, 12:04 AM)jsd Wrote: Not to further nitpick Big Grin ... But there are nationally accredited (and even regionally accredited) programs that don't accept financial aid, and those schools still aren't diploma Mills.

There's certainly an argument to be made about NA generally not being the best option, but it's highly dependent on one's goals. But yes, NA not being on the same level as RA doesn't mean it's a diploma mill by any stretch.

I didn't mean to imply that if a school doesn't accept financial aid it is a diploma mill, rather the opposite. If a school is accredited and accepts financial aid, it will not be a diploma mill.

On the other hand, there are diploma mills that claim to be accredited but and they will not accept financial aid. Usually, they include some excuse about being less expensive since they don't take financial aid.

Sorry for the distraction. Back to your normally scheduled discussion about learning forever. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
NA/RA aside,  I think it highlights the need for some serious and unbiased guidance on post-high school education.   (Unfortunately not everyone will get a copy of Cookderosa's awesome book!)

But the majority of guidance I have ever gotten in my lifetime has always been the traditional "if you go to college, you will have a nice life" type of BS.   The best advice I ever have seen comes from this forum and frankly, when I was halfway through my undergrad, I stopped telling people about my CLEP journey because the reaction was almost always negative and I didn't want to cast doubt upon the legitimacy of my own education.  

If I had all the time and money in the world, starting a non-profit educational counseling service would be amazing.   Everything from pre to post grad, resume services and interview coaching.  Would be great!!  But I suppose the people mentioned in this thread would probably still do what they were going to do...  In a way I guess it's not a bad thing that these guys are out there.  We don't want them all competing for our jobs!  Wink    (I'm kidding of course)
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • cookderosa, Merlin
LOL, sorry about that. I'm in the habit of calling anyplace that graduates students with useless pieces of paper a diploma mill. I'd rather not disclose the school name in case my friend ends up here and knows I'm talking about her.. lol

It's one of those schools that offers degrees in things that are dream jobs and not realistic careers.
Enrolled in WGU MAcc - Start Date 12/01/2019
B&M State College (90 credits 3.57 GPA)
Modern States CLEP  (27 credits) Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (64)  Introduction to Sociology (65) Information Systems (71) Principles of Management (68) Principles of Marketing (73) Principles of Macroeconomics (70) Principles of Microeconomics (53), Introduction to Business Law (60)
Sophia(2 credits)
Straighterline (9)American Government, Western Civilizations I, Introduction to Religion
WGU (71): Organizational Behavior, Spreadsheets, Global Business, Principles of Accounting, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Strategy.. graduated Oct/2019
WGU MAcc (30) Graduated Apr 2020
121 credits earned Dec 23, 2018-Feb 24, 2020 Smile 
(01-09-2019, 09:47 PM)Jenniferinfl Wrote: I have a friend who is married and has three kids. They live with her parents. Her husband is in college right now at a nationally accredited diploma mill. He will owe over $200k when he graduates if he only took loans out for tuition and not for living expenses.

We live in Central Florida. There is no way they will ever be able to afford to move out. He won't even be able to find a job in the field he is training in. He'll be lucky to get his old trucking job back, just now he'll have a $2600 monthly payment to make.

I get so frustrated with stupidity.

I'm super curious what that would be? I'm thinking maybe pilot training?
This sounds like Full Fail....err....Sail.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • natshar
(01-10-2019, 09:45 PM)quigongene Wrote: This sounds like Full Fail....err....Sail.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • quigongene
(01-10-2019, 09:54 PM)natshar Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 09:45 PM)quigongene Wrote: This sounds like Full Fail....err....Sail.

Despite being NA rather than RA, Full Sail's game development/design program is actually fairly well regarded... or at least it used to be. I have no idea about any of Full Sail's other programs though.

Full Sail was one of the first colleges to offer a dedicated game development program and has (or at least had) some veteran game creators as instructors. They used to bring in some pretty big name guest lecturers too. I've hired some of their graduates over the years.

Considering so many other bigger name schools now offer their own game development programs, I have no idea if the quality of their instruction is the same now. I'd imagine that some of the more well-known instructors could have moved to more prestigious schools. My wife teaches game design at one of their competitors.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(01-10-2019, 11:54 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 09:54 PM)natshar Wrote:

Despite being NA rather than RA, Full Sail's game development/design program is actually fairly well regarded... or at least it used to be. I have no idea about any of Full Sail's other programs though.

Full Sail was one of the first colleges to offer a dedicated game development program and has (or at least had) some veteran game creators as instructors. They used to bring in some pretty big name guest lecturers too. I've hired some of their graduates over the years.

Considering so many other bigger name schools now offer their own game development programs, I have no idea if the quality of their instruction is the same now. I'd imagine that some of the more well-known instructors could have moved to more prestigious schools. My wife teaches game design at one of their competitors.

I've heard that too. So their game design is good. They also offer a whole bunch of other programs (business, arts, etc.) which aren't as highly regarded, especially for the price they charge.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,059 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 521 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,046 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 588 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ashkir 7 1,179 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Stimulus Payments & College Students Alpha 5 1,360 03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters allvia 8 2,457 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,219 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,190 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock