Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personalized Learning program through Northern Arizona University
Personalized Learning program through Northern Arizona University was on PBS News Hour show on 9.19.2017.  President Rita Cheng says its the first in the US.  They claim 172 graduates.
http://pl.nau.edu/
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

They don't have many degrees through PL. I think it's only 3 or 4 including Business Administration and Liberal Arts.

I was thinking WGU was the first?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

I don't know why she thinks they're the first. Their program just sounds like a regular old competency-based program modeled after WGU. I'm not even sure if NAU came second.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning
(09-19-2017, 11:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't know why she thinks they're the first. Their program just sounds like a regular old competency-based program modeled after WGU. I'm not even sure if NAU came second.

It seems to be a little different. The intro video says that they split up topics into small lessons, each with a post test, that are lumped together to form competencies. If true, this is quite different from places like Patten, Capella, WGU, and Hodges iin that you don't have to study to pass a single, overarching test for a course, but can study to pass a large number of smaller tests which, when combined, make up courses, credits, and degrees.

I'm not sure if it is better than WGU, but it is interesting.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(09-20-2017, 11:39 AM)Thorne Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 11:01 PM)sanantone Wrote: I don't know why she thinks they're the first. Their program just sounds like a regular old competency-based program modeled after WGU. I'm not even sure if NAU came second.

It seems to be a little different. The intro video says that they split up topics into small lessons, each with a post test, that are lumped together to form competencies. If true, this is quite different from places like Patten, Capella, WGU, and Hodges iin that you don't have to study to pass a single, overarching test for a course, but can study to pass a large number of smaller tests which, when combined, make up courses, credits, and degrees.

That would make them unique.  

I know of one CC that teaches a Fire Science AAS degree that way.  One credit at a time and when you do three in a row they change transcript to show a 3 SH course.  Kind of neat idea.  Eating elephant one bit at a time.

I believe this is how Capella is setup, actually
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

But, several competency-based programs make you complete multiple assignments and/or assessments per competency. That's what I did at Edmonds Community College. I don't see how this is much different; it just sounds more tedious.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I have taken a 6 month semester from NAU and i found I learned more taking courses on Straighterline and Study.com than I did while at NAU. The competencies are very quick to get through if you know the subject and pass the assessment with at least an 86 and another Mastery assignment to earn an A for the course. If you don't have knowledge in the subject, you must learn enough to pass the exams and assignments with at least an 86.

I chose to take NAU courses because I wanted to get a high G.P.A. to transfer into graduate school, but I only managed to get 12 credits (at 4.0). For me, I was really bored with the format and couldn't manage more than 12 credits due to working 48-60 hours a week at the time. TESU was a godsend for me
[-] The following 1 user Likes varJosh's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(09-20-2017, 04:46 PM)sanantone Wrote:

But, several competency-based programs make you complete multiple assignments and/or assessments per competency. That's what I did at Edmonds Community College. I don't see how this is much different; it just sounds more tedious.

Edmonds Community College in WA claims to be a leader in Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?  Is that true?  They claim its also "resident" credit which is huge, but is it hype?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,570 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 347 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,753 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,790 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 762 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,317 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,782 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 411 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 571 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,623 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff