Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition for credit limit and capstone
Hi everyone, I'm trying to finish my degree by August. I have 39 credits left and based off when classes are scheduled, I came up with a plan that would allow me to finish on time but I would be taking 6 classes during the month of January. I would also be taking my Career Planning class while doing Capstone and finishing one or two other classes during the first month of this. I submitted this plan to my academic adviser and he said I would have to petition to exceed 16 credits in a term and to do the Capstone and Career Planning simultaneously. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm not sure how to do the petition other than to submit the schedule I want to take and my reasoning for it. I'm currently doing three courses through TESU and finished two classes through Sophia.org during the same term and currently have all A's. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Do you mean 6 classes literally during January, or 6 classes *starting* in January? If you have to petition, I'm assuming the latter.

That being the case, what's the reasoning behind taking all the classes through TESU? Could you not find altnerative credit sources and spread them out between now and next August? 39 credits, if you have some time to put in, should be able to be accomplished by maybe February or March at the latest if you're using alternative credit sources and have time to put in.
Too many credits, the most I would ever do is about 15 credits/term, especially when you're also working on alternative credit. Is there no option to split the courses up for two terms and it'll be easier for you. I treasure my brain cells and take my time, even though I'd like to get things done like a speed demon...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
6 classes at once is a lot! I agree with studyingfortests; why are you doing so many credits at TESU? You only NEED to take the capstone/cornerstone at TESU. If you want to avoid the residency waiver, you only need 16 credits at TESU. Are you doing one of those degrees where there are no alternate credits available for the AOS?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-23-2021, 12:35 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: Do you mean 6 classes literally during January, or 6 classes *starting* in January?  If you have to petition, I'm assuming the latter.

That being the case, what's the reasoning behind taking all the classes through TESU? Could you not find altnerative credit sources and spread them out between now and next August?  39 credits, if you have some time to put in, should be able to be accomplished by maybe February or March at the latest if you're using alternative credit sources and have time to put in.

I've used Sophia.org for the remaining gen ed's I have but I'm down to degree specific classes. I would be starting three classes in November, one class in December, then two more in January so for just the month of January I'd have 6 classes. I don't think I would be able to do classes through a different school and have it paid for through my GI Bill
There are always workaround to this, we will need to have more details on what exactly constitutes the courses. For example, if you're taking 2 courses and 3 e-packs, and a TECEP, then that may be "easier" of a course load for them to allow. In fact, you can just add the TECEP later or "earlier" and get that over with first. The more we know, the better, so my recommendation is to list your courses you're really wanting to take all at once...

(09-23-2021, 12:55 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Too many credits, the most I would ever do is about 15 credits/term, especially when you're also working on alternative credit.  Is there no option to split the courses up for two terms and it'll be easier for you.  I treasure my brain cells and take my time, even though I'd like to get things done like a speed demon...

Unfortunately the start dates for a lot of the classes are infrequent. I could push one or two classes back but then I'd also be doing 5 classes while doing capstone

(09-23-2021, 12:58 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 6 classes at once is a lot! I agree with studyingfortests; why are you doing so many credits at TESU? You only NEED to take the capstone/cornerstone at TESU. If you want to avoid the residency waiver, you only need 16 credits at TESU. Are you doing one of those degrees where there are no alternate credits available for the AOS?

I don't believe I can get alternate credits, I'm doing Radiation Protection and Health Physics
(09-23-2021, 06:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are always workaround to this, we will need to have more details on what exactly constitutes the courses.  For example, if you're taking 2 courses and 3 e-packs, and a TECEP, then that may be "easier" of a course load for them to allow.  In fact, you can just add the TECEP later or "earlier" and get that over with first.   The more we know, the better, so my recommendation is to list your courses you're really wanting to take all at once...

I attached the excel spreadsheet I came up with. I don't think there are any TECEP or e-packs I can use to substitute

Attached Files
.xlsx   Tentative schedule.xlsx (Size: 10.98 KB / Downloads: 6)
I had discussed the petition for more than 16cr with advisors before.  They said you had to first complete one term with TESU before you could petition for more credits.

TESU is usually somewhat flexible, they probably would grant the petition.  Plan on getting a course extension if you do fall behind.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I think there is a high chance they will allow this if you show you've got X credits completed and the grades for them. I would give it a shot, the worst they can say is No. If you don't give it a shot, you already know it's a no.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,290 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 529 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Credit Transfer Confusion legenwait4itdary 30 2,730 03-01-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 766 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  A&I CLEP not counted in 90cr limit Murdockb 1 270 01-18-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,371 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,116 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Credit distribution Kones 6 510 10-13-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Kones
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,178 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  90 credit max transfer, does that include TECEPs? Math avoidant 21 2,880 08-01-2023, 03:25 AM