Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pg Cert and Pg Dip
Almost done with BALS at TESU. Am looking at post graduate certificates and diplomas. Are they worth it?

Prices seem better than a masters degree, and work with them is not lost if one wants to pursue a masters afterwards.
P
IMHO No, no one cares. There are plenty of affordable and accessible master's degrees out there, and I wouldn't waste my time doing anything less than that, as far as graduate education is concerned.
(03-25-2021, 09:38 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: IMHO No, no one cares. There are plenty of affordable and accessible master's degrees out there, and I wouldn't waste my time doing anything less than that, as far as graduate education is concerned.
The difference in price is enormous. Most people would never be able to afford it. Especially those who avoid loans.

Ok then, I'll look into post graduate certificates in Europe which are even better.
There are plenty of Master's degrees posted here that are $10k or less. A grad certificate at TESU is about 15 credits - some are a few less, some are a few more. Graduate tuition is $668. $668 x 15 credits is $10,020. The degree is going to be way more valuable than the certificate.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • DeanLewis
(03-25-2021, 10:10 AM)rachel83az Wrote: There are plenty of Master's degrees posted here that are $10k or less. A grad certificate at TESU is about 15 credits - some are a few less, some are a few more. Graduate tuition is $668. $668 x 15 credits is $10,020. The degree is going to be way more valuable than the certificate.
TESU is too expensive for pretty much anything.
Plus if one can have a cert or Pg diploma on their way to masters, isn't it nice so one can show a completed type of degree? It is more of a waste if a student has no options and is not able to complete the masters degree program.
Harvard Extension school
https://extension.harvard.edu/academics/...ertificate

look at the left menu under "Subject Areas" if you want to narrow it down

they're not inexpensive -- about $12k each

I know the courses in the Data Science certificate can be applied to the Data Science Masters if you decide to go that way later

American Public University
has lots of interesting looking graduate certificates
https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/degree...cates.html

if I had money to burn I'd love to do the Space Studies certificate
COSC: $7000
EC: $6390
USciences Health Administration: $9000+
APUS: $6660+
Penn State: $9000+
Walden: $10120+
Arkansas State University (grad certificates in education fields): $5706-$7608. Engineering management: $3804
SNHU: $7524+

Honestly, with the extremely limited transferability of the grad credits, you'd be better off waiting and paying a few thousand more for a full grad degree instead of $5k+ for a certificate and THEN paying another $10-12k for the degree. If you want cheap and European, there is always ENEB.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • DeanLewis, Silvious, TINASAM
(03-25-2021, 07:15 AM)Seagull Wrote: Almost done with BALS at TESU. Am looking at post graduate certificates and diplomas. Are they worth it?

Prices seem better than a masters degree, and work with them is not lost if one wants to pursue a masters afterwards.
P

In the US, no. In much of the rest of the world, absolutely.

If you're US-based and plan to never live anywhere else, then a grad cert or grad dip will probably not have a great ROI for you.
PGCert and PGDip in the UK system is a graduate degree and contains ECTS credits, it is not just a certificate. If you already have PGDip you only need to complete theses and additional modules if any to obtain the Master's degree. If you already have a Master's degree, then additional PGDip and PGCert are great. But if you do not already have one, better to obtain the Master's and you can complement it with PGCert or PGDip.

PGCert in Oxford in a subject that I interest in is about 9100 GBP.
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/postgr...technology

Cambridge's UGCert is also cheap, it is about 2250 GBP.
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergr...olitical-0
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(03-25-2021, 12:24 PM)asianphd Wrote: PGCert and PGDip in the UK system is a graduate degree and contains ECTS credits, it is not just a certificate. If you already have PGDip you only need to complete theses and additional modules if any to obtain the Master's degree. If you already have a Master's degree, then additional PGDip and PGCert are great. But if you do not already have one, better to obtain the Master's and you can complement it with PGCert or PGDip.

PGCert in Oxford in a subject that I interest in is about 9100 GBP.
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/postgr...technology

Cambridge's UGCert is also cheap, it is about 2250 GBP.
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergr...olitical-0

The UK system uses CATS, not ECTS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,124 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 565 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UT Austin post graduate cert Data Science and Business Analytics Pats20 4 1,490 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  NationsU Grad Cert in Biblical Studies armstrongsubero 1 1,255 10-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Planning for next steps after BSBA: MBA+MSML, MBA+Grad Cert, PhD? Merlin 14 3,366 11-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  systems analyst cert/programs Paramedic12 7 1,848 08-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Last Post: dmjacobsen
  Review: Grad Cert Econ Educ: U.Colorado Colorado Springs eriehiker 5 2,387 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Family Pic with Grad. Cert. :) eriehiker 6 2,702 04-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Grad cert through prior learning only? Ideas 5 1,429 03-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Degree/Cert/Diploma in helping/psych fields? Ideas 10 2,562 05-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Ideas