Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pg Cert and Pg Dip
(03-25-2021, 09:38 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: IMHO No, no one cares. There are plenty of affordable and accessible master's degrees out there, and I wouldn't waste my time doing anything less than that, as far as graduate education is concerned.
Hm? There is a time and place for graduate certificates, so I'm not sure why we're blowing them off entirely. If anything, they're well-paired with a complete Master's degree to complement them (an MBA + Grad Cert in Finance and an MA in Communication + Grad Cert in Public Health come to mind), but that doesn't mean they are otherwise worthless. 

One aforementioned advantage is that the credits might be repurposed into a Master's degree at some point afterwards, which would make them analogous to an associate's degree at the undergrad level. I never list my Associate's degree in my resume, but I'm still extremely happy that I got one at the time. Similarly, I'm likely to be getting a Grad Cert along the way to getting my MBA.

EDIT: Of course, grad credits aren't as easily transferable as undergrad credits, but there are some schools that are more generous than others with what and how much they will accept.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

(03-25-2021, 01:38 PM)Maniac Craniac Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 09:38 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: IMHO No, no one cares. There are plenty of affordable and accessible master's degrees out there, and I wouldn't waste my time doing anything less than that, as far as graduate education is concerned.
Hm? There is a time and place for graduate certificates, so I'm not sure why we're blowing them off entirely. If anything, they're well-paired with a complete Master's degree to complement them (an MBA + Grad Cert in Finance and an MA in Communication + Grad Cert in Public Health come to mind), but that doesn't mean they are otherwise worthless. 

One aforementioned advantage is that the credits might be repurposed into a Master's degree at some point afterwards, which would make them analogous to an associate's degree at the undergrad level. I never list my Associate's degree in my resume, but I'm still extremely happy that I got one at the time. Similarly, I'm likely to be getting a Grad Cert along the way to getting my MBA.

EDIT: Of course, grad credits aren't as easily transferable as undergrad credits, but there are some schools that are more generous than others with what and how much they will accept.
Exactly, thanks, that is what I think too, what if I don't want or need or feel like or can't afford a masters degree.

Plus all the examples that were given for schools in uk and us (example oxford or harvard) are generally very expensive even at undergrad level.
Seagull - I was just wondering, are you paying for the residency waiver fee or are you taking courses at TESU to get the 16 Residency Credits?  I know you've taken the SOS-110 Cornerstone, I am not sure if you started the Capstone yet, did you start taking anything else at TESU?  Graduate Certs/Diploma programs are great additions to a Bachelors and/or Masters as it shows you have a concentration in some study at the grad level...

Anyways, TESU is an interesting university, it's the only one I know of that allows individuals to complete two Bachelors degrees for roughly the same amount of credits for one, and with their Bachelors to Masters program you can finish a grad cert, plus you can get 12 graduate credits at undergrad prices to be used elsewhere such as Amberton, Walden, etc and many more universities that take transfer credit into their Masters programs...

Review a post I created last year: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303806 and a more recent post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid316986 - If you haven't started any other courses or the capstone, just take your time and think of your options... TLDR: Yes! Whatever - Get the Grad Cert after you finish the BALS with the B2M option!

By paying slightly less than $300 extra, you get 12 graduate credits.
BALS cost by taking 16 Residency Credits for out of state:  $519 x 16 = $8304
Graduate Cert regardless of state residency: $668 x 12 = $8016
Note: If you use Pell Grant towards this, it'll come out cheaper!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-25-2021, 12:24 PM)asianphd Wrote: PGCert and PGDip in the UK system is a graduate degree and contains ECTS credits, it is not just a certificate. If you already have PGDip you only need to complete theses and additional modules if any to obtain the Master's degree. If you already have a Master's degree, then additional PGDip and PGCert are great. But if you do not already have one, better to obtain the Master's and you can complement it with PGCert or PGDip.

PGCert in Oxford in a subject that I interest in is about 9100 GBP.
https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/postgr...technology

Cambridge's UGCert is also cheap, it is about 2250 GBP.
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/undergr...olitical-0
If you look at the University of London website you can see the progression from PGCert to PGDip to Masters degree.  You can work towards the Masters in bite-sized pieces without loss of credits and get some nice little qualifications along the way or stop at any interval.  I like them
Course Finder (london.ac.uk)
(03-25-2021, 03:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Seagull - I was just wondering, are you paying for the residency waiver fee or are you taking courses at TESU to get the 16 Residency Credits?  I know you've taken the SOS-110 Cornerstone, I am not sure if you started the Capstone yet, did you start taking anything else at TESU?  Graduate Certs/Diploma programs are great additions to a Bachelors and/or Masters as it shows you have a concentration in some study at the grad level...

Anyways, TESU is an interesting university, it's the only one I know of that allows individuals to complete two Bachelors degrees for roughly the same amount of credits for one, and with their Bachelors to Masters program you can finish a grad cert, plus you can get 12 graduate credits at undergrad prices to be used elsewhere such as Amberton, Walden, etc and many more universities that take transfer credit into their Masters programs...

Review a post I created last year: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303806 and a more recent post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid316986 - If you haven't started any other courses or the capstone, just take your time and think of your options... TLDR: Yes! Whatever - Get the Grad Cert after you finish the BALS with the B2M option!

By paying slightly less than $300 extra, you get 12 graduate credits.
BALS cost by taking 16 Residency Credits for out of state:  $519 x 16 = $8304
Graduate Cert regardless of state residency: $668 x 12 = $8016
Note: If you use Pell Grant towards this, it'll come out ccheaperThankwhatw so ,s
Idea
Yeah, so that light bulb just came up right?  A little thinking goes a long way.  I mean, it's a pretty good investment if you have the Study.com partnership pricing, you get the graduate credits at $379 instead of out of state pricing of $519. 

If you don't, it's no issue as you should still be able to apply for Pell Grant and can get some cash flow for your Bachelors & Grad Cert - essentially, it's a buy one get one deal... but first, finish your BALS and then decide what your next goal is.

Note: These are the 4 courses for the Bachelors to Masters - it's under the MALS: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/bachelors...rs-program

(03-27-2021, 11:08 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, so that light bulb just came up right?  A little thinking goes a long way.  I mean, it's a pretty good investment if you have the Study.com partnership pricing, you get the graduate credits at $379 instead of out of state pricing of $519. 

If you don't, it's no issue as you should still be able to apply for Pell Grant and can get some cash flow for your Bachelors & Grad Cert - essentially, it's a buy one get one deal... but first, finish your BALS and then decide what your next goal is.

Note: These are the 4 courses for the Bachelors to Masters - it's under the MALS: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/bachelors...rs-program
Was having issues with my keyboard. You mentioned only 300 extra so my question was do those undergraduate credits be.achieved with alternative credits through sdc?
The roughly 300 extra actually is only the tuition difference from taking 16 residency credits at the out of state cost of $519, that equates to $8304. The cost to do 12 graduate credits is $688 x 12 and that's $8016 - So, 8304-8016=$288. If you're looking to keep the costs low for taking 5 alternative credits UL for the BALS AOS, you can take the TEEX Death Investigation for $75, 2 Davar business (MIS & Org Behavior) courses at $129 total, and 2 UL Study.com courses at $200 - another option is to take all 5 at SDC.

Thanks. I have taken TEEX death investigation already and a bunch of UL courses, I have a couple of UL TECEPs and capstone and I am done. Plan is to pay residency waiver fee. The graduate level is tempting but then I can only transfer them to TESU and then continue the rest with their super expensive tuition. Unless those 4 grad courses can be transferred to a different program at a different institution, not sure I'd want to go that route.
Also to quote you on a different thread: 'I would not use the Bachelors to Masters option as a Masters degree at a Big 3 either as the cost, energy, time would exceed or be much more than a Competency Based degree at one of the recommended options.'

Hmm so why is it a good idea if those courses are not transferable to any other program?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 554 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UT Austin post graduate cert Data Science and Business Analytics Pats20 4 1,388 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  NationsU Grad Cert in Biblical Studies armstrongsubero 1 1,237 10-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Planning for next steps after BSBA: MBA+MSML, MBA+Grad Cert, PhD? Merlin 14 3,272 11-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  systems analyst cert/programs Paramedic12 7 1,818 08-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Last Post: dmjacobsen
  Review: Grad Cert Econ Educ: U.Colorado Colorado Springs eriehiker 5 2,358 05-14-2018, 11:24 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Family Pic with Grad. Cert. :) eriehiker 6 2,678 04-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Grad cert through prior learning only? Ideas 5 1,397 03-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Degree/Cert/Diploma in helping/psych fields? Ideas 10 2,547 05-07-2017, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Ideas