Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
I'm not arguing, seriously, thats wjy I left the CJ major everything is an argument based on falicies.

Lets think logically okay? How did the uni get its data? Was it qualitiative? Quantitative? In one state where the uni is located or was it across the country?

Well if a local university did a survey on current employees in lets say my local comm and telcom industries about which majors are popular in those fields CIS and IT would be a huge percent more then EEs adn CE majors! Since here CIS and IT is offered everywhere and is way more popular than CS. Most people dont knoe CS, they call everything IT. So when the Irish based Digicel came here and regional Bmobile started IT and CIS was the talent available, so they hired those persons and trained them to do the more EE and Comm related stuff. Now it the Uni says oh a CIS or IT degree gets you into the telcom industry. They wont be wrong.

Universites are not trade schools and everyone misses that. Universities educate you. The end goal of universities is to get a PhD and add new knowledge to the field. It all leads up to that. Yes every company wants that bachelors or masters for thr job, but universites dont care about that!

You really think a CJ program can prepare you for the academy!? No it does not! It gives you ideas on things but it cant prepare you for induction training.

What it can do is come up with a new theory as to how the socioeconomic status of officers affects their performance at the academy.

If the law enforment agency needs to consult someone on a developing a new training program, who will they consult? The high school grad with 20 years experience? Or the professor who did his thesis on training and teaches graduate level courses on the topic?

Isn't ACE an academic body that verfies workforce training and work experience? So who knows more? The body stating that you know what you are doing, or the guy doing the thing?

I get mad at this cause everyone says that Unis dont prepare you for the job. They're not meant too! Lets say you learn web development with ruby on rails and todat we use node.js will it be helpful!? No it will not! But a uni teaches you the knowledge needed to form an abstract point of view understand the principles of constructing interfaces and engineering principles for scaling and what not.

So if in 10 years we get a holographic interface, you know what!? You will know jow to learn it! Becuase you know concepts.

(12-07-2018, 02:44 AM)jsd Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 01:54 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Ever watch shark tank? Dragons den? I did watch those after he told me that and he was right.

Well I guess if that's what the TV people say...

The guys I spoke to is local here and very successful, he became so successful his business became international and he migrated and he put me on to those watching those shows. I wish I was in the field his company does though, he would make an awesome mentor!

I want to work in the semiconductor industry though, so cant go that route.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-07-2018, 02:47 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I'm not arguing, seriously, thats wjy I left the CJ major everything is an argument based on falicies.

Lets think logically okay? How did the uni get its data? Was it qualitiative? Quantitative? In one state where the uni is located or was it across the country?

Well if a local university did a survey on current employees in lets say my local comm and telcom industries about which majors are popular in those fields CIS and IT would be a huge percent more then EEs adn CE majors! Since here CIS and IT is offered everywhere and is way more popular than CS. Most people dont knoe CS, they call everything IT. So when the Irish based Digicel came here and regional Bmobile started IT and CIS was the talent available, so they hired those persons and trained them to do the more EE and Comm related stuff. Now it the Uni says oh a CIS or IT degree gets you into the telcom industry. They wont be wrong.

Universites are not trade schools and everyone misses that. Universities educate you. The end goal of universities is to get a PhD and add new knowledge to the field. It all leads up to that. Yes every company wants that bachelors or masters for thr job, but universites dont care about that!

You really think a CJ program can prepare you for the academy!? No it does not! It gives you ideas on things but it cant prepare you for induction training.

What it can do is come up with a new theory as to how the socioeconomic status of officers affects their performance at the academy.

If the law enforment agency needs to consult someone on a developing a new training program, who will they consult? The high school grad with 20 years experience? Or the professor who did his thesis on training and teaches graduate level courses on the topic?

Isn't ACE an academic body that verfies workforce training and work experience? So who knows more? The body stating that you know what you are doing, or the guy doing the thing?

I get mad at this cause everyone says that Unis dont prepare you for the job. They're not meant too! Lets say you learn web development with ruby on rails and todat we use node.js will it be helpful!? No it will not! But a uni teaches you the knowledge needed to form an abstract point of view understand the principles of constructing interfaces and engineering principles for  scaling and what not.

So if in 10 years we get a holographic interface, you know what!? You will know jow to learn it! Becuase you know concepts.

I don't even know what you're arguing at this point. You posted a university's opinion about which degrees prepare you for which jobs. Now, you're arguing that universities don't provide job training. As I said earlier, universities provide you with basic skills similar to you talking about concepts. My answer is still, no. An IS program will neither provide you with the basic skills nor the concepts to become an actuary any more than a degree in IT. 

I'm also not sure what you're responding to in my post. I said that my professors said that a CJ degree will make you more competitive at civil service departments; they are wrong. It does not make you more competitive because civil service departments are required by law to interview candidates in the order of their test scores. The law enforcement academy is a different topic, especially considering that many police departments hire cadets with the intention of putting them through the academy. They don't select everyone who meets the minimum requirements, so you still need to find a way to make yourself competitive.

Sure, a professor would be consulted on how the socioeconomic status of a cadet affects performance in an academy. What does that have to do with the professor knowing very little about how the job market works? Research has been done on the education levels of police officers, and it shows that most police officers do not have a bachelor's degree. Once again, my CJ professors are clueless. 

ACE determines whether workforce training is worth academic credit; it does not say that you are qualified to do your job. I don't know what this has to do with anything, though. 

When I decided to apply to University of Florida's medical science program, I knew what it could and could not do for me based on the curriculum. Their website says that people with this degree can work as pathologist's assistants. No, they cannot. There is no arguing this. In order to become certified as a pathologist's assistant, you need to complete an NAACLS-accredited pathologist's assistant program. A 100% online program in medical science/forensic medicine not only does not qualify for ASCP certification, but it does not have the hands-on training that is required to even begin doing an entry-level job. 

Because Liberty University is offering a $30k scholarship, I filled out a contact form about their MBA in Accounting. They told me that I could become a CPA if I complete their online MS in Accounting. No, I cannot. Texas requires 15 accounting credits to be taken butt-in-seat. There's no debating this. But, it's really not the university's job to fully understand the job market in every state. Students need to do their own research instead of relying on faulty information and generalities on university websites.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(12-07-2018, 02:26 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 02:05 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone I could listen to you, or I could listen to what the University has to say. Hmmm I think I'll stick with the University. After all you pay them for what they know, not the other way around.

And IQ has the least math not IS.

I know one guy with an HR degree that works as an acturial analyst for an insurance company, he learned on the job. I know people with CIS degrees that DO work in the comm and telcom industry, its very common in fact. They all had the right connections.

Enough of this silly topic already. All that matters to me is what universities have to say on this and using Google a little solidifed my standpoint.

I cant wait to start the Little Rock PhD program or Aspen DSc. Dr. here I come! I already know what I want to research!!

People who have connections and learned on the job are not good examples of a degree program training them to do a particular job. You defeated your own argument. 

Universities are good at teaching basic skills, but professors are usually not knowledgeable of the current job market either because they were never in it or because they've been out of it for a long time. They can give you advice on the academic job market, and that's about it.

For example, many of my PhD professors swear that a criminal justice degree will make you more completitive for civil service, law enforcement jobs. That is not the case at all. The only professor who knows this is not the case is the one who used to be a state trooper. The other professors who believe in this fairy tale have never even applied to a law enforcement agency. I have applied to many law enforcement agencies, and I worked for a few. 

Now, who has better knowledge of the criminal justice job market? A student who has worked for and applied to law enforcement agencies, or a 50-year old professor who has been teaching for the past 20 years?

(12-07-2018, 02:05 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone I could listen to you, or I could listen to what the University has to say. Hmmm I think I'll stick with the University. After all you pay them for what they know, not the other way around.

I know one guy with an HR degree that works as an acturial analyst for an insurance company, he learned on the job. I know people with CIS degrees that DO work in the comm and telcom industry, its very common in fact. They all had the right connections.

Enough of this silly topic already. All that matters to me is what universities have to say on this and using Google a little solidifed my standpoint.

I cant wait to start the Little Rock PhD program or Aspen DSc. Dr. here I come! I already know what I want to research!!

@sanantone nope, I beg to differ. Can't comment much for obvious reasons. All I can say once we went from a force ro a service crime rose. Recently our former commissioner was fired and a ex-military man was put to add the agression that was lost. A new zero tolerance approch is being adopted. Crime is decresing because of it.

I knew you would say that. All the CJ stuff really dosent apply everywhere. Our former comissioner was a CJ guy implenting all the text book policies. Culture is different everwhere and those mumbo jumbo theories dont work everywhere. After all, they're not laws.

Since we got a more operations based man whi shows his agression and states its zero tolerance, and I quote him "Its one shot, one kill" crime IS decreasing. We needed that agression back, and I am glad!

So yeah assertive works in a developed country. In a developing yeah, not so much.

And it applies to academia too! Gotta attack those courses! Attack the research! Fight the sleep! Else you wash out....like I said its my opinion and it works for me. Im not saying to be violent. But you can't be passive in life.

Most of us live in the U.S., a developed country. When I worked corrections, the aggressive officers were the ones who were always assaulted. The more intelligent officers with good communication skills were good at deescalating situations. Research in the U.S. has shown that Broken Windows policing does not work, but community policing does.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the U.S. Our arguments are based on our experiences in the U.S. If your opinions come from your country, then there really is no logic in telling Americans that they're wrong.

As do you in telling me agression is wrong and assertive works. I am a police officer, I worked the streets for a bit. Our ex comissioner used that same research from there and implented it here 'intelligence led and community based policing' and a matter of fact he changed our mission to incorporate that. Well now the crime is so bad, UK travel aganecies were warning against coming and multiple documentaries by international entities were done here.

What did our goodly man do in response to all of this? Well he started a TV program where the heads of divisions could interact directly with members of the public, see a police officer doing something? Film them and send it to us! Call us! Talk to the heads of the divisons directly. Hot a complaint? Come directly to my offiice. Call me directly. And that show still runs today an hour every day and people still go directly to seniors without the proper chain of command.

Well people only recorded when officers executed their job, and not what led to the situation. People also made false acquasation on offciers and they are penalized since 'the public is first' and officers were suspended once the media and members of the public felt it was bad, and officers were suspended pending false allegations.

This way made things worse and crime increased since officers were fearful members of the public would film them and lie on them and neglected to do thier jobs.

So yeah, the community based policing thing, works to a point, but it should not over run everything. Broken Windows Policing still works, and I'm not a professor (yet) I m a guy in the field. And when larger countries print these things working in thier country in the text book and ship it to our universites, we have no choice but to learn it, and the implementation causes chaos.

And corrections officers are genrally assaulted and targeted more by the criminal community. It is here and in Canada as well based on what a friend I have in corrections across their tells me a rise in violence in the prisons there recently causing more injuries.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-07-2018, 03:17 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote:

People who have connections and learned on the job are not good examples of a degree program training them to do a particular job. You defeated your own argument. 

Universities are good at teaching basic skills, but professors are usually not knowledgeable of the current job market either because they were never in it or because they've been out of it for a long time. They can give you advice on the academic job market, and that's about it.

For example, many of my PhD professors swear that a criminal justice degree will make you more completitive for civil service, law enforcement jobs. That is not the case at all. The only professor who knows this is not the case is the one who used to be a state trooper. The other professors who believe in this fairy tale have never even applied to a law enforcement agency. I have applied to many law enforcement agencies, and I worked for a few. 

Now, who has better knowledge of the criminal justice job market? A student who has worked for and applied to law enforcement agencies, or a 50-year old professor who has been teaching for the past 20 years?

@sanantone nope, I beg to differ. Can't comment much for obvious reasons. All I can say once we went from a force ro a service crime rose. Recently our former commissioner was fired and a ex-military man was put to add the agression that was lost. A new zero tolerance approch is being adopted. Crime is decresing because of it.

I knew you would say that. All the CJ stuff really dosent apply everywhere. Our former comissioner was a CJ guy implenting all the text book policies. Culture is different everwhere and those mumbo jumbo theories dont work everywhere. After all, they're not laws.

Since we got a more operations based man whi shows his agression and states its zero tolerance, and I quote him "Its one shot, one kill" crime IS decreasing. We needed that agression back, and I am glad!

So yeah assertive works in a developed country. In a developing yeah, not so much.

And it applies to academia too! Gotta attack those courses! Attack the research! Fight the sleep! Else you wash out....like I said its my opinion and it works for me. Im not saying to be violent. But you can't be passive in life.

Most of us live in the U.S., a developed country. When I worked corrections, the aggressive officers were the ones who were always assaulted. The more intelligent officers with good communication skills were good at deescalating situations. Research in the U.S. has shown that Broken Windows policing does not work, but community policing does.

I don't know if you've ever worked in the U.S. Our arguments are based on our experiences in the U.S. If your opinions come from your country, then there really is no logic in telling Americans that they're wrong.

As do you in telling me agression is wrong and assertive works. I am a police officer, I worked the streets for a bit. Our ex comissioner used that same research from there and implented it here 'intelligence led and community based policing' and a matter of fact he changed our mission to incorporate that. Well now the crime is so bad, UK travel aganecies were warning against coming and multiple documentaries by international entities were done here.

What did our goodly man do in response to all of this? Well he started a TV program where the heads of divisions could interact directly with  members of the public, see a police officer doing something? Film them and send it to us! Call us! Talk to the heads of the divisons directly. Hot a complaint? Come directly to my offiice. Call me directly. And that show still runs today an hour every day and people still go directly to seniors without the proper chain of command.

Well people only recorded when officers executed their job, and not what led to the situation. People also made false acquasation on offciers and they are penalized since 'the public is first' and officers were suspended once the media and members of the public felt it was bad, and officers were suspended pending false allegations.

This way made things worse and crime increased since officers were fearful members of the public would film them and lie on them and neglected to do thier jobs.

So yeah, the community based policing thing, works to a point, but it should not over run everything. Broken Windows Policing still works, and I'm not a professor (yet) I m a guy in the field. And when larger countries print these things working in thier country in the text book and ship it to our universites, we have no choice but to learn it, and the implementation causes chaos.

And corrections officers are genrally assaulted and targeted more by the criminal community. It is here and in Canada as well based on what a friend I have in corrections across their tells me a rise in violence in the prisons there recently causing more injuries.

Look, the sheriff's department I worked for used to have inmate-on-officer assaults on a weekly basis. They changed their training to emphasize communication skills, and the number of assaults went down dramatically. I had officers who had been in corrections for decades telling me that the key to not being assaulted frequently is not being an a-hole. You don't even need research for this. It's just common sense. All that stuff you're talking about has nothing to do with community policing. Community policing is a proactive policing style that looks to prevent crime rather than react to it. It's about forming relationships with the community so that they feel comfortable with reporting criminal activities. You have the same officers working the same areas so that they get to know what goes on in a neighborhood.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
@sanatone I'm not arguing. Dint I say that? It was my first line. Seriously. You just missed my point, I wasnt arguing anything, so of course you domt know. Ah, duh?

You are right, you dont need a degree to join. But you know what two recruits have the same qualifications? They'll take the one with the BA in CJ. You want to go up in rank? Well if you and another officer have the similar merit, you know what the one with rhe BA in CJ will be selected. You want to run a department? Well the one with the PhD in CJ will get the postion over the one with just a high school diploma.

So they are right. It does make you more competetive!

You make it sound like professors know nothing about the job market, when in fact the job market is driven by what they say. The community based policing thing here is a good example of that. If it werent researched by professors and put into books, then my ex comissioner could not implement it.

You missed my point with ACE as well. Well if you dont inderstand I'm not going to bother breaking it down.

With the forsenic and accounting programs. I think grads of those programs have a better chance of passing the professional cert than a high school grad.

Its your education. If you are doing a program that dosent give you hands on but a dummy to practice on or something. I have bought literally 10s of thousands of dollars setting up a home eletronics lab cause I know one day I want that EE degree and if I cant gdt it, i taught myself enough to build prototype products or pass an interview. School is a guide, its up to you to practive what you learn.

I could read a book on surgey all day. If I dont get a scalpel and practice on mice or dummy or whatever I'll never get good.

(12-07-2018, 03:29 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 03:17 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote:

What did our goodly man do in response to all of this? Well he started a TV program where the heads of divisions could interact directly with  members of the public, see a police officer doing something? Film them and send it to us! Call us! Talk to the heads of the divisons directly. Hot a complaint? Come directly to my offiice. Call me directly. And that show still runs today an hour every day and people still go directly to seniors without the proper chain of command.

Look, the sheriff's department I worked for used to have inmate-on-officer assaults on a weekly basis. They changed their training to emphasize communication skills, and the number of assaults went down dramatically. I had officers who had been in corrections for decades telling me that the key to not being assaulted frequently is not being an a-hole. You don't even need research for this. It's just common sense. All that stuff you're talking about has nothing to do with community policing. Community policing is a proactive policing style that looks to prevent crime rather than react to it. It's about forming relationships with the community so that they feel comfortable with reporting criminal activities. You have the same officers working the same areas so that they get to know what goes on in a neighborhood.
Did you even read my post?
So setting up a direct line to talk to the comissioner, allowing civilians to directly go into the office of any senior officer at will without appointment or through the ranks and having a live TV program where you can call and interact with heads of divisions is not community based policing? Having the abiltiy to recored without restrction officers performing duty and reporting any activtiy carried out by officers on mobile, foot or bicycle is not community policing? Seriously? Well a lot changed since I did that course. Tell Oliver and Mann they need to write new books.

And its different here. People respect the A'hole cause you cant boss him around. There are some officers people see and challenge their authority, cause they are push overs, and when they work it's a hard night. They are usually filmed getting assaulted and persons helping others escape from them. They have the shift very busy, 'heavy' as we say.

Those guys you're talking about when they are out on patrol, you can be sure the phone rings a lot less and the night passes smoothly....

Its jusy my experience. That isnt a theory and didnt come from a book, I see it everyday..
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(12-07-2018, 03:44 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone I'm not arguing. Dint I say that? It was my first line. Seriously. You just missed my point, I wasnt arguing anything, so of course you domt know. Ah, duh?

You are right, you dont need a degree to join. But you know what two recruits have the same qualifications? They'll take the one with the BA in CJ. You want to go up in rank? Well if you and another officer have the similar merit, you know what the one with rhe BA in CJ will be selected. You want to run a department? Well the one with the PhD in CJ will get the postion over the one with just a high school diploma.

So they are right. It does make you more competetive!

You make it sound like professors know nothing about the job market, when in fact the job market is driven by what they say. The community based policing thing here is a good example of that. If it werent researched by professors and put into books, then my ex comissioner could not implement it.

You missed my point with ACE as well. Well if you dont inderstand I'm not going to bother breaking it down.

With the forsenic and accounting programs. I think grads of those programs have a better chance of passing the professional cert than a high school grad.

Its your education. If you are doing a program that dosent give you hands on but a dummy to practice on or something. I have bought literally 10s of thousands of dollars setting up a home eletronics lab cause I know one day I want that EE degree and if I cant gdt it, i taught myself enough to build prototype products  or pass an interview. School is a guide, its up to you to practive what you learn.

I could read a book on surgey all day. If I dont get a scalpel and practice on mice or dummy or whatever I'll never get good.

You are not understanding. At civil service departments, they have to start making selections from the top of the eligibility list because it's required by law. Exceptions are allowed for those who are already certified since they are cheaper to hire. The eligibility list is based on test scores. Getting a high test score is what makes you competitive. I will note that there are ways of getting around these laws, but this usually does not favor the person with the degree because people with degrees typically score higher on the written exams. Law enforcement agencies will find ways to disqualify their high scorers in favor of less intelligent applicants with law enforcement experience and only a high school diploma. 

Law enforcement-related experience is usually valued more than a degree when it comes to interviews. As a matter of fact, I've talked about how some of the law enforcement agencies I applied to openly displayed anti-intellectualism and skepticism toward highly-educated applicants. There was also a case involving an applicant with a degree who was disqualified for having a high IQ. They assumed that he would get bored with the job and quit, and it costs a lot of money to put people through the academy. 

What are you even talking about with the high school grads? The fact is that ASCP will not let you take the certification test with the degree in forensic medicine. You NEED an NAACLS-accredited degree from a pathologists' assistant program. Texas will not license you as a CPA if you took all of your accounting courses online. It doesn't matter what high school grads can and cannot do. 

You cannot practice how to become a pathologists' assistant at home. You need dead bodies and only equipment that a millionaire can afford. 

The irony in all of this is that you posted this. 

A career in information technology often requires a degree in computer or information science and can offer several career paths, such as cybersecurity, network or database administration, infrastructure management, business intelligence or enterprise resource planning, computer programming and software development.

You're looking at a PhD in Computer and Information Science, and you said that the concentration courses are related to IT management. I looked at the curriculum for the UALR program, and the core courses look like what you posted as a definition for information systems. 

A degree in information systems often includes courses in:

Information TheoryFoundations of ManagementSocial ScienceInformation Technology

So, you're saying that the distinctions between these degrees are not blurred, but the computer and information science program you're looking at doesn't even look like your definition of a computer and information science program. It looks like an IT management and information systems program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
> You cannot practice how to become a pathologists' assistant at home. You need dead bodies and only equipment that a millionaire can afford.

damn, if I only had equipment I'd be set
[-] The following 3 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • jsd, kmj, verenaf
(12-07-2018, 03:44 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Did you even read my post?
So setting up a direct line to talk to the comissioner, allowing civilians to directly go into the office of any senior officer at will without appointment or through the ranks and having a live TV program where you can call and interact with heads of divisions is not community based policing? Having the abiltiy to recored without restrction officers performing duty and reporting any activtiy carried out by officers on mobile, foot or bicycle is not community policing? Seriously? Well a lot changed since I did that course. Tell Oliver and Mann they need to write new books.

And its different here. People respect the A'hole cause you cant boss him around. There are some officers people see and challenge their authority, cause they are push overs, and when they work it's a hard night. They are usually filmed getting assaulted and persons helping others escape from them. They have the shift very busy, 'heavy' as we say.

Those guys you're talking about when they are out on patrol, you can be sure the phone rings a lot less and the night passes smoothly....

Its jusy my experience. That isnt a theory and didnt come from a book, I see it everyday..

I believe you did not read what I wrote. 

Anyway, there is something in between being an a-hole and a pushover. It's called being assertive. People don't respect a-holes; they fear a-holes. When people fear the police, they often act irrationally. Some run, which only makes the officer's job harder. Some attack with or without weapons. Flight or fight is human nature. 

There are also the other a-holes who are not feared because the hardened criminal knows that he's tougher, and he will not tolerate being disrespected. The guy who came up with the Five Universal Truths of Human Interaction (verbal judo) was a former English professor with a PhD. When he became a police officer, he noticed that the more experienced officers had better communication and deescalation skills and more success on the job. When he asked how those officers developed those skills, they said it took years of trial and error. He thought that was an inefficient way of doing things, so he took what he learned from observing them and asking them questions and came up with the Five Universal Truths of Human Interaction to be taught to inexperienced officers.

(12-07-2018, 04:09 AM)bluebooger Wrote: > You cannot practice how to become a pathologists' assistant at home. You need dead bodies and only equipment that a millionaire can afford.

damn, if I only had equipment I'd be set

I certainly do believe you have the dead bodies.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • jsd
@sanatone Like I said if you want those stripes beat the books. Once you're in the system they cant deny you that position. Cause it costs money to train a guy, and if he is willing to burn the midnight oil fine!

Well if that goes on across there its very sad. Here officers are encourged to study, expecially law and a lot of officers are lawyers especially the senior ones and many have law firms though in thier private practice that can only do civil matters. It is good cause it means you can ask them for legal advice in cases instead of everyone swamping the prosecutor.

Persons with degrees in specialized fields are encouraged to apply and are sucked into sections where their skills can be used.

Well everywhere the interview plays a HUGE role, but of course once you did that BA your writing and rhetoric skills will give you the edge and having a masters in managment, law or CJ is seen as a great asset.

Oh didnt you read the thread from the start till now? Me and several persons actually contacted the department at UALR and spoke to the professor running the thing, there was a mix up in the name. There is actually three distinct paths, the Computer Science program which is on campus and the online program is in Information Systems or Information Quality. So you are right! It looks like IS becuase it is IS.

I was disappointed when I first found out. Computer and information sciences sounded good to me, then I found out it was just done like that for the web page, there are actually 3 distinct programs which they differentaite and have different entry requirements for since they are of course 3 disctinct fields. Just same department.

The courses listed also had some complication.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(12-07-2018, 04:21 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Oh didnt you read the thread from the start till now? Me and several persons actually contacted the department at UALR and spoke to the professor running the thing, there was a mix up in the name. There is actually three distinct paths, the Computer Science program which is on campus and the online program is in Information Systems or Information Quality. So you are right! It looks like IS becuase it is IS.

I was disappointed when I first found out. Computer and information sciences sounded good to me, then I found out it was just done like that for the web page, there are actually 3 distinct programs which they differentaite and have different entry requirements for since they are of course 3 disctinct fields. Just same department.

The courses listed also had some complication.

I read posabsolute's post that talked about which concentrations are offered online. That's not a mix up in names. It's the same degree title with different available specializations. The specialization is only 12 credits.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • verenaf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts about putting credentials next to your name on Linkedin? soliloquy 25 1,262 04-14-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: datby98
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,114 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,066 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Anyone Done/Thoughts Online Masters In ITM or IT (Coursera) From IIT sam98 5 1,131 09-22-2023, 01:57 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,895 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,650 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University isaachunter 18 6,242 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Accredited Online Masters (and Bachelors) Degrees Under $2000 Sdmj33 1 1,764 12-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Thoughts on Brandman University natshar 0 895 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Any thoughts on ESERP? JWells247 2 750 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az