Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
I find it baffling that you think the Program Advisor isn't familiar with the program.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(12-07-2018, 12:00 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 11:10 AM)jsd Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 10:43 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I was just tugging at jsd

Keep tugging, I'm enjoying the hole you dug yourself here with sanantone.  Big Grin

If we are developing a new training program we partner with unis so that stuff about profs not knowing anything about the workforce and a degree not giving you an edge in public service. Not even going to entertain that. Thats BS and we both know it.

So I am in no hole my friend. I'm actually watching someone who never planted a tree telling me I'm digging a hole wrong  cause its too shallow, when all I want is some dirt to mulch my plants.

@sanataone let me know when you talk to someone who actually knows whats going on at UALR and what they place on their parchments. Since I started this thread in March I have since made other plans. Right now I'm looking for a cheap fast data structures course cause I found clovis to do my intro to prgogramming then its Masters in EE and  PhD in CS here I come!!

You think that professors who have never even looked at the law enforcement job market know what they're talking about, but you don't think a program advisor who teaches in the information science program knows what the degree program is called? Hahahahahaha! You don't seem to understand that he was using shorthand to refer to the degree programs.

By the way, law enforcement research has been my focus throughout my doctoral program. Many CJ professors don't specialize in researching law enforcement agencies. They often ask me questions. Like, hello! I taught police systems and practices. You're literally arguing with a former doctoral research assistant who has assisted with and conducted her own research on law enforcement agencies. AND, I've worked for law enforcement agencies in this decade. If I don't know what I'm talking about, then neither do any of the other PhDs in CJ, criminology, and sociology.

On one end, you say that professors know how the job market works. On the other end, you're saying that they're wrong on Broken Windows Theory. Do you trust them or not? The professor I assisted in research was a former state trooper and actually conducts law enforcement research. He agreed with me when we discussed my research proposal, and it was specifically on the value of a CJ degree in the job market.

I talked to Dr. Berleant on the phone! The online program had a different name a year ago, but it's currently called a PhD in Computer and Information Sciences. If you dig online, you can see that the program used to be called a PhD in Integrated Computing. It was NOT called a PhD in Information Quality.

https://ualr.edu/informationquality/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
lol, it's almost like we are on the sister forum!

Let me add my 2cents! In software we see all kind of technical degree, in fact, CS degrees are often not that related to software engineering in the end. I have people in my team that have a master in CS, I don't even have a full bachelor in a technical field, the name of the degree does not necessarily matter, CS is still the gold stamp tho.

Now if you are looking at a Ph.D., I suppose you want to teach, if you are looking for an online program, the UALR program is almost unbeatable for the price, and with the electives, you can design it to be a bit more CS.

Now, are you going to teach graduate level courses in CS in a big state university? I don't know anything about the academic field Smile, but I would say probably not.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
Dr. Berleant's phone number is on his CV. Wink

https://ualr.edu/jdberleant/cv.html
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
This thread is so far off topic...

The UALR program looks interesting. It's not a Comp Sci phd, but tbh at the phd level the distinction between some of these fields become very blurred...especially in the "Integrated" areas. From what I've seen the course work in phd programs focus mostly on research design and the skills needed to do research. These don't necessarily vary alot between "Computer Science" "Information Systems" and "Data Science". IMHO, you should focus on who will be your program adviser for your dissertation and the areas they want to advise.

Alot of this depends on the purpose of the degree in regards to if it matters or not. I've nearly completed a masters with a focus in information systems management with almost all software engineering courses, because Harvard extension doesn't really care about my elective choices.

I will say I'm disappointed to see this forum devolve into ad hominem attacks based on someone's chosen major. Sanantone's choice of CJ major is irrelevant to the topic at hand. It neither lends nor takes away credibility to herarguments. I would suggest everyone take a step back and decide if it is more important for them to win this argument or to convey useful information -- and then continue firing shots at each other if desired.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 2 users Like mednat's post:
  • sanantone, verenaf
(12-07-2018, 02:36 PM)mednat Wrote: This thread is so far off topic...

The UALR program looks interesting.  It's not a Comp Sci phd, but tbh at the phd level the distinction between some of these fields become very blurred...especially in the "Integrated" areas.  From what I've seen the course work in phd programs focus mostly on research design and the skills needed to do research.  These don't necessarily vary alot between "Computer Science" "Information Systems" and "Data Science".  IMHO, you should focus on who will be your program adviser for your dissertation and the areas they want to advise.

Alot of this depends on the purpose of the degree in regards to if it matters or not.  I've nearly completed a masters with a focus in information systems management with almost all software engineering courses, because Harvard extension doesn't really care about my elective choices.  

I will say I'm disappointed to see this forum devolve into ad hominem attacks based on someone's chosen major.  Sanantone's choice of CJ major is irrelevant to the topic at hand.  It neither lends nor takes away credibility to herarguments.  I would suggest everyone take a step back and decide if it is more important for them to win this argument or to convey useful information -- and then continue firing shots at each other if desired.

I agree. The problem is that the OP insists that the degree title is something that it's not. So, he's conveying inaccurate information to others. I've given the names to two professors who teach in the program and have linked to pages with their email addresses. Prospective students will receive more accurate information from them.

Aspen doesn't even offer a PhD...
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Dr. Berleant wants to know what this forum is. I don't think I'll tell him, but it would be fun to see him read Armstrong's posts calling Dr. Talburt a chat bot who only cares about funding and doesn't know the name of his program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, MNomadic, verenaf
I'm a little confused. I clicked the first link and was immediately greeted by:

PH.D. IN COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SCIENCES

In a font so big it took up my entire computer screen. 
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 3 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • jsd, sanantone, verenaf
(12-07-2018, 05:02 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I'm a little confused. I clicked the first link and was immediately greeted by:

*cries* Can someone pass me my glasses - I can't read this without them...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-07-2018, 05:02 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I'm a little confused. I clicked the first link and was immediately greeted by:

The website says this, the program advisor has conformed it, the school catalog says it.... There's really no question about it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MNomadic, verenaf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,058 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,043 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Anyone Done/Thoughts Online Masters In ITM or IT (Coursera) From IIT sam98 5 1,062 09-22-2023, 01:57 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,842 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,585 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University isaachunter 18 6,147 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Accredited Online Masters (and Bachelors) Degrees Under $2000 Sdmj33 1 1,733 12-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Thoughts on Brandman University natshar 0 878 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Any thoughts on ESERP? JWells247 2 735 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US State Licensed & Registered - UK Accredited - Thoughts? bjcheung77 8 2,393 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster