Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
(03-02-2018, 02:17 AM)Ideas Wrote: PhD almost for free? I haven't heard of this.

Academic Master's and PhDs often have a stipend or are tied to payed research assistant jobs and are quite competitive as a result. Professional grad degrees (PsyD, MSW, MBA, etc...) are generally out of pocket.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio? - InstantCert Credit
if your real goal is to be a Field Applications Engineer then I think the PhD in IT is a waste of time

Field Applications Engineer : Microchip Technology
https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=f4a618...serp&vjs=3

Qualifications and Experience :
Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline with a strong academic track record : 4+ Relevant work experience

you'll be spending a lot of time and money for something that will not help you in your goal for that job

it'll help you be called a doctor, and if all that money and time makes being called a doctor worth for you then go ahead
Yeah, this program looks awesome and cheap, even with the 3 flights to go there, much cheaper than let's say, North Central.

I might go for it after my WGU MBA IT. It's 75 credits I think tho, not going to take a year to do it..

Also, it's not exactly a PHD IT, it's a PHD in computer and information sciences. They have a CS concentration that looks like a CS concentration.

If you never looked into Cumberlands before, you should look a bit further in the University values (Check on the sister forum), they don't "advertise" that on their website...
TESU BACS, Expected 2019, 117/120.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
@bluebogger did you read my post? I will pursue that path because with my experience, current job position and the difficulties associated with doing an ABET degree in Electrical Engineering it would be cheaper to get a higher paying job in IT and then fund my studies for electrical engineering best advice I received. 

Even if I don't get an H1B in time, I will be able to move up in my career locally, and hopefully get enough money to take some time and do a proper ABET accredited engineering degree. The PhD at Little Rock is quite affordable as they have a nice payment plan structure.

And yes it is worth it for the prices 75*383 = $28 725. That is a total of TT $185 276.25 over the course of 5 years that works out to $37 055 a year or roughly a third of my current salary paying out of pocket. I can manage that.

In contrast the EE program I wanted to do could find online is the Arizona State University ABET accredited bachelors in EE costs $6499 for 10 credits. For a 120 credit program, this is 6499 * 12 = $77 988. That is a total of TT $503 022.60. I could buy a house with that much money and over the cost of 5 years would take an entire year's salary to pay for each year! How will I live?.

Now when I finish the PhD I can see an increase of over TT $30 000 in earnings over the cost of a year, assuming I don't get promoted, if I do then that number can go up a lot. And hopefully if I earn a masters in the process, I will get  an increase and promotion during the process. Additionally I think publishers would be very happy to publish books written by a PhD. I like writing, and this degree would help boost my bio.

Assuming I do the EE degree I get nothing because I would already have completed the BALS. I will have to apply for those positions I want and hope I get sponsorship and an H1B, it's much riskier.

It's a cost to benefit ratio, and based on the information I received from this thread, it may be the best option:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ing+choice

From that post the advice was basically get a job in software (very easy for me, working with a charity as a software/fullstack developer plus previous experience) and use that to fund my EE studies. A PhD in Computer and Information Sciences may get me a door in the company doing something else and then I may be able to branch across into the position I want. It's worth a shot, worst case I still have a career to fall back on.

And yes it means that much to me as my aim is to be self actualized. Having a career I enjoy and being called doctor are two pieces of the puzzle. More attainable than saying I want to be the next Elon or Zukerberg.

If you have a better idea I would love to hear it. but the path from liberal arts to engineering online is expensive and time consuming.

@postabsolute yep Northcentral is a lot! the CS aspect would be a better resume booster, Computer and Information Sciences sounds better than Information Systems or Information Technology.
GRADUATE

MS Management, TESU (0/36)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6/36)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

Alt Credit:
StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

Colleges:
TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I have a hard time believing how cheap UALR is, to be honest I'm kind of afraid they will raise it up.
TESU BACS, Expected 2019, 117/120.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
@posabsolute I know right!? It seems like a dream to me. I don't mind studying for a GRE or GMAT to get into this. Low cost, payment plan, regionally accredited, online, non-profit school. I mean a course costs like almost the same amount as a TESU course with study.com discount before June! it's like the best of RA and NA packed into one delicious goodness. I like comp sci, but I was actually considering the information quality track as it seems most applicable for what I want to do and I like the course descriptions and I think it's something I would like to do. I already have an idea for my thesis Big Grin

This program looks so good I emailed Dr. John Talburt today to enquire if he would accept a liberal arts student and what score he was looking at for the GMAT there is a lot of detail on GRE but not on GMAT. I really want to know before I get my hopes up.

I want to do this soooo bad!

Oh, I also explained to him that I may not meet the requirements for the 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 credits because I transferred and did 'college level exams' to earn credit, and asked him if this would be a problem.
GRADUATE

Alt Credit:

Colleges:
TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(03-02-2018, 04:23 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Oh, I also explained to him that I may not meet the requirements for the 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 credits because I transferred and did 'college level exams' to earn credit, and asked him if this would be a problem.

Your last 60 credits normally means your last 60 graded credits.  So if you have 60 graded and 60 test-out credits, they'll look at the 60 graded.  If you have fewer than 60 graded credits, that's when you need to ask them how it would work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@dfrecore I hope he replies!
GRADUATE

Alt Credit:

Colleges:
TESU (4 cr)

(03-02-2018, 02:35 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Computer and Information Sciences sounds better than Information Systems or Information Technology.

I agree, except that they might read fast and think it's Computer Information Systems. Well, I did Sad

I feel like CIS is treated mostly like IT degrees.

I spent most of the day searching for Masters degrees for myself. Personally I'm thinking of attending a foreign school to save money. A school that's not in the more expensive countries, but still has some reasonable accreditations, reputation, etc. I would have to spend hours looking at the options. I guess you don't have that option - for your career, I guess you want an RA US school.

Like Sagan mentioned, my ideal would be a combination masters/doctoral program where I could enter it with bachelor's only, and then I would have the option to stop after a masters or continue on.

(03-02-2018, 02:35 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: And yes it is worth it for the prices 75*383 = $28 725. That is a total of TT $185 276.25 over the course of 5 years that works out to $37 055 a year or roughly a third of my current salary paying out of pocket. I can manage that.

In contrast the EE program I wanted to do could find online is the Arizona State University ABET accredited bachelors in EE costs $6499 for 10 credits. For a 120 credit program, this is 6499 * 12 = $77 988. That is a total of TT $503 022.60. I could buy a house with that much money and over the cost of 5 years would take an entire year's salary to pay for each year! How will I live?

Wow, that's so cheap. Lots of Masters degrees cost more than that.

For the other program, you'd need to take a loan. But I guess being international you can't qualify for a loan Sad Your plan seems really good to me: get any cheap, quick degree(s) which lead to the Visa first. Then you would have a good enough employer who can pay for other education (if you even need more). But maybe you can get in without completing a whole doctorate. With just some specialized grad certificates/diplomas/etc and having started the doctorate, for example.

I am doing the opposite. I am in the U.S. and trying to leave. But I don't think my degree(s) will help me directly, due to health issues, so I feel I have many tough decisions to make. Actually, I just posted that I was considering a foreign Masters, but only if it's good enough to gain me entry into a foreign doctoral program.
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in Sept? Dec?
First Masters complete. Working on another?
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
Help me understand why that is cheap? I thought, like Davewill said, most PhD courses of study are usually linked to a scholarship/research assistant position, which covers all of the tuition and pays you a stipend. I would not pursue a PhD if it wasn't free!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Program Options when Completing Bachelors CarpeDiem8 3 264 02-06-2020, 01:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finishing my Bachelors- I have 16 months of my GI Bill Left for a Masters Kerrihoran 2 249 12-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Kerrihoran
  My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD bjcheung77 117 17,726 07-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Thoughts on CSU Global? Dee12 0 397 07-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Dee12
  Direct Entry DNP programs Sparklette 4 1,400 04-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Last Post: clep3705