Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD IT, $383 PCH, Bachelors entry, thoughts!?
@sanatone They can say what they want, I knew what I was told when I emailed them about the program.

I already changed my mind from the program for that reason of what I was told and I'm not going back. I'm doing the aspen DSc I never said PhD I said DSc, for me a doctorate is a doctorate. Its cheaper and will give me the doctor title I want and the courses seem awesome! I want a MSc in EE though, so the BA in CS is a win win, I can get into a masters in EE program then help doctorate in CS.

I am glad I didn't do the program at UALR, thanks to the information I received on the name of the program earlier this year.

Really? Should I attach the screenshot? I distinctly said you guys are wrong on COMMUNITY POLICING it is you who disagrees with broken windows. Community policing was implemented here based on research conducted there and it DOES NOT work here. You said it works there. Its you who said broken windows is dead and disproven not me, and that we need to be assertive not aggressive. Did you forget that?

So you did all that research and still say academics don't know how the market works? so in your research capacity wasn't that academic? how can someone doing research on the job market say such a thing? You said something about a 20 year old professor not knowing anything on the job market.

And like I told you, we are in two different countries. I told you here we value degree holders and they are more competitive. You told me they they keep down degree holders cause as you say in one instance "they are worried the guy will be bored". That is research in your country. Not others based on people I have talked too.

CJ has limited scope. It only applies to your state or country or whatever. Its not like that in other countries. That why I like CS, an algorithm for real time Speex decoding works the same regardless of which country you are in. That's why I left studying CJ despite there being endless research opportunities in the region for research. The theories that work there don't work here due to culture do I already told you this.

Oh the program had a different name, it is possible he may have made an error in what he told me? I remeber being told it was a program in Information Quality or Information Science. If you email enough departments you would know its not uncommon to get conflicting information. Based on what I was told I made a decision.

@jsd Its not baffling I was told he coordinates the information quality track. I have emailed a couple of schools inquiring about different things and I find it is actually not uncommon at all.

@jsd @bjcheng I know I was really excited when I saw that title and came to the forum. It was so big on the page and still is. However I was told something different when I did my inquiry. So I changed my mind from the program. A PhD in Computer and Information Sciences sounds much better than one in Information Quality, so I changed my mind.

(12-07-2018, 01:59 PM)posabsolute Wrote: lol, it's almost like we are on the sister forum!

Let me add my 2cents! In software we see all kind of technical degree, in fact, CS degrees are often not that related to software engineering in the end. I have people in my team that have a master in CS, I don't even have a full bachelor in a technical field, the name of the degree does not necessarily matter, CS is still the gold stamp tho.

Now if you are looking at a Ph.D., I suppose you want to teach, if you are looking for an online program, the UALR program is almost unbeatable for the price, and with the electives, you can design it to be a bit more CS.

Now, are you going to teach graduate level courses in CS in a big state university? I don't know anything about the academic field Smile, but I would say probably not.

I was working in software in government without the CS degree. If I were interested in just software I would have done the BALS just to tick the box and leav it at that. I however want to work in EE. I LOVE embedded systems design and microcontrollers and FPGA stuff gets me so excited! I want to be an applications engineer at Microchip Technology or TI. It is my dream. However those companies are in the US and to get the H1B a degree in a related field is the best. That job market here for embedded developers is non existent, there was one company I worked with but they have since closed.

I am doing the CS degree so I can get into a masters in EE program since I cant afford the time or commitment of getting an ABET accredited EE degree, and as I was advised on someone by this forum, I can use the CS degree to get a job in embedded design in the US then use that money to do the EE program and get the applications engineering job. That was solid advice, so I'll follow it.

When you want to get an H1B name of the program does matter.

I don't care about teaching really. I am doing it for SELF ACTUALIZATION. Seriously that was my second or third post I listed all the reasons I wanted to do a PhD. The Aspen DSc is fine for me though, I can do the research I want and get the Dr. title. If I get into Microchip or TI though I can do a PhD in EE at Columbia, I saw a TESU CS grad doing a program there so its doable. And these companies will help pay for the research I want to do since they help pay for employees tuition.

I can reach very far in my country staying here and working in law enforcement or software, but my dream is to work at Microchip Technology as an applications engineer. I enjoy that type of work.

Anyway this thread doesn't help my goal in anyway now. I've since moved on from considering the UALR program, since I was discouraged by the name. If back in March I was told the name "Computer and Information Sciences" would be on the parchment I would be all over it, heck I would have applied today!.

However my plans have since changed. I still think it's a good program, very aggressive pricing for a regionally accredited PhD especially in one of the fastest growing fields right now.

I'm going with Aspen, since Aspen dosen't require on campus visits and I can make small monthly payments. At least with Aspen I know for sure the program is the "DSc in Computer Science". It has been so since the school started and a DSc in CS is will give me what I want and ease my mind. I talked to a grad of the program on Quora and I am told it was money well spent and the program is quality and challenging. So I'm going that route.

For now I'm going back to focusing on passing my Calculus course at SDC, then geometry and I'll be done with alternative credits! Just four more courses to go and it feels good. I want to do intro to programming at Clovis CC and Data Structures at TESU, then it's EE here I come!

Nice talking to all of you!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Doesn't Aspen University only have national accreditation (DEAC)? If it were me, I'd want something regionally accredited to make sure it will be accepted everywhere. Plus I'd want the option to teach as a backup, which you generally can't do with a DEAC degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsd, verenaf
(12-07-2018, 07:28 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: For now I'm going back to focusing on passing my Calculus course at SDC, then geometry and I'll be done with alternative credits! Just four more courses to go and it feels good. I want to do intro to programming at Clovis CC and Data Structures at TESU, then it's EE here I come!

You got through those CS courses fast Smile

You know Clovis wouldn't finish until mid May though? Sad

(12-07-2018, 07:28 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @sanatone They can say what they want, I knew what I was told when I emailed them about the program.

I already changed my mind from the program for that reason of what I was told and I'm not going back. I'm doing the aspen DSc I never said PhD I said DSc, for me a doctorate is a doctorate. Its cheaper and will give me the doctor title I want and the courses seem awesome! I want a MSc in EE though, so the BA in CS is a win win, I can get into a masters in EE program then help doctorate in CS.

I am glad I didn't do the program at UALR, thanks to the information I received on the name of the program earlier this year.

Really? Should I attach the screenshot? I distinctly said you guys are wrong on COMMUNITY POLICING it is you who disagrees with broken windows. Community policing was implemented here based on research conducted there and it DOES NOT work here. You said it works there. Its you who said broken windows is dead and disproven not me, and that we need to be assertive not aggressive. Did you forget that?

So you did all that research and still say academics don't know how the market works? so in your research capacity wasn't that academic? how can someone doing research on the job market say such a thing? You said something about a 20 year old professor not knowing anything on the job market.  

And like I told you, we are in two different countries. I told you here we value degree holders and they are more competitive. You told me they they keep down degree holders cause as you say in one instance "they are worried the guy will be bored". That is research in your country. Not others based on people I have talked too.

CJ has limited scope. It only applies to your state or country or whatever. Its not like that in other countries. That why I like CS, an algorithm for real time Speex decoding works the same regardless of which country you are in. That's why I left studying CJ despite there being endless research opportunities in the region for research. The theories that work there don't work here due to culture do I already told you this.

Oh the program had a different name, it is possible he may have made an error in what he told me? I remeber being told it was a program in Information Quality or Information Science. If you email enough departments you would know its not uncommon to get conflicting information. Based on what I was told I made a decision.

@jsd Its not baffling I was told he coordinates the information quality track. I have emailed a couple of schools inquiring about different things and I find it is actually not uncommon at all.

@jsd @bjcheng I know I was really excited when I saw that title and came to the forum. It was so big on the page and still is. However I was told something different when I did my inquiry. So I changed my mind from the program. A PhD in Computer and Information Sciences sounds much better than one in Information Quality, so I changed my mind.

(12-07-2018, 01:59 PM)posabsolute Wrote: lol, it's almost like we are on the sister forum!

Let me add my 2cents! In software we see all kind of technical degree, in fact, CS degrees are often not that related to software engineering in the end. I have people in my team that have a master in CS, I don't even have a full bachelor in a technical field, the name of the degree does not necessarily matter, CS is still the gold stamp tho.

Now if you are looking at a Ph.D., I suppose you want to teach, if you are looking for an online program, the UALR program is almost unbeatable for the price, and with the electives, you can design it to be a bit more CS.

Now, are you going to teach graduate level courses in CS in a big state university? I don't know anything about the academic field Smile, but I would say probably not.

I was working in software in government without the CS degree. If I were interested in just software I would have done the BALS just to tick the box and leav it at that. I however want to work in EE. I LOVE embedded systems design and microcontrollers and FPGA stuff gets me so excited! I want to be an applications engineer at Microchip Technology or TI. It is my dream. However those companies are in the US and to get the H1B a degree in a related field is the best. That job market here for embedded developers is non existent, there was one company I worked with but they have since closed.

I am doing the CS degree so I can get into a masters in EE program since I cant afford the time or commitment of getting an ABET accredited EE degree, and as I was advised on someone by this forum, I can use the CS degree to get a job in embedded design in the US then use that money to do the EE program and get the applications engineering job. That was solid advice, so I'll follow it.

When you want to get an H1B name of the program does matter.

I don't care about teaching really. I am doing it for SELF ACTUALIZATION. Seriously that was my second or third post I listed all the reasons I wanted to do a PhD. The Aspen DSc is fine for me though, I can do the research I want and get the Dr. title. If I get into Microchip or TI though I can do a PhD in EE at Columbia, I saw a TESU CS grad doing a program there so its doable. And these companies will help pay for the research I want to do since they help pay for employees tuition.

I can reach very far in my country staying here and working in law enforcement or software, but my dream is to work at Microchip Technology as an applications engineer. I enjoy that type of work.

Anyway this thread doesn't help my goal in anyway now. I've since moved on from considering the UALR program, since I was discouraged by the name. If back in March I was told the name "Computer and Information Sciences" would be on the parchment I would be all over it, heck I would have applied today!.

However my plans have since changed. I still think it's a good program, very aggressive pricing for a regionally accredited PhD especially in one of the fastest growing fields right now.

I'm going with Aspen, since Aspen dosen't require on campus visits and I can make small monthly payments.  At least with Aspen I know for sure the program is the "DSc in Computer Science". It has been so since the school started and a DSc in CS is will give me what I want and ease my mind. I talked to a grad of the program on Quora and I am told it was money well spent and the program is quality and challenging. So I'm going that route.

For now I'm going back to focusing on passing my Calculus course at SDC, then geometry and I'll be done with alternative credits! Just four more courses to go and it feels good. I want to do intro to programming at Clovis CC and Data Structures at TESU, then it's EE here I come!

Nice talking to all of you!

I'm not going to continue to argue with someone so arrogantly wrong and hardheaded. For example, I never said anything about a 20-year-old professor, and you specifically said that you want a PhD. Everyone has gotten a good view of your level of reading and reasoning skills. I'm not even sure if UALR would want you now anyway after Dr. Berleant read your tantrum and insults.

My educational background is much broader than yours and so are my work experiences. Mind you, none of the degrees that I've earned below the doctoral level are in CJ. I don't even know how someone manages to study CJ for seven years at the undergraduate level and not earn a degree in it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • verenaf
@Merlin Yeah I know RA is better, but my main reasons for wanting to do a doctorate for self actualization and researching what I like and if I dont get the job I want it can give me advancement in my career. If I get the job I want then I'll do it in EE at Columbia even if I must apply 1000 times. Lol.

But to be honest, the accredation dosen't really matter to me once the program helps me meet my goals. With an RA undergrad and RA masters that should be enough to get me through industry.

@ideas You gotta attack these courses with agression and not give up! They dont stand a chance!! To be honest I usualy eat through these courses much faster but I actually want to learn the stuff...Once somethong interests me its very easy and even if I dont like it, I dont give up till I get through it. 'IT MUST DONE'.

Yeah I saw may 4rh or 10th. But at this point I have no other option except doing it at TESU so most likely I'll have to wait for September graduation, its okay though just a small delay in a long path.

When I fist looked at that TESU BA in CS it seems too expensive. Now I'm literally a few courses away! Its just time to pass. I'll get it!

@sanatone arrogant am I? Hmm thats such a big word for hard headed me. Lets see wjat google says.

"Arrogant

/ˈarəɡ(ə)nt/

adjective

having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities."

I dont think I am that important. When did I say that? I never said that I am and when did I exaggerate my abilities?

You can call me arrogrant, hard headed whatever. I've been called many things.

Sure I cant read very well and I dont have reasoning skills. Heck I may not even be able to spell my own name. But you know what? Its not going to stop me. I stand up for what I believe and put my life and name on the line to do what needs to be done.
I have two things I need to achive my goals. Balls and Grit.

Its working for me so far.

I was not able to earn my degree after 7 years because I was too busy doing my job. If a day I had class and that same day a 4 year old girl was raped or some guy got assaulted, you can bet your bottom dollar what I'm going to be doing, so yeah I missed a few classes. But you know what? But this time next year I'll have 4 undergrad degrees.

Btw isnt that the reason the big 3 exists? To help adults like me that due to time and life commitment and couldnt finish their degree after 7 years finish?
What are you implying, that I was too stupid to finish?

You cant see why someone cant finish a degree after 7 years because YOU ARE UNAWARE of what some people must go through.

I told you, I was not arguing. You called me arrogant,
hardheaded, told me I cant read and have poor reasoning skills, and implied I was too stupid to finish a degree cause you cant see it.

Its okay though in the process you actually taught me a lot about how agencies there keep down people who educate themselves and confirmed my suspicion on some things.

FYI after 7 years a CJ underdgrad, stupid hard headed me learned one thing, most of you CJ researchers fail to see the bigger picture.

Enough of you, I'm ignoring you from now on.

@Dr. B
Sorry Dr. B if you were offended you were such a nice guy when I talked to you, I did mention that. Big Grin
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(12-08-2018, 06:10 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Merlin Yeah I know RA is better, but my main reasons for wanting to do a doctorate for self actualization and researching what I like and if I dont get the job I want it can give me advancement in my career. If I get the job I want then I'll do it in EE at Columbia even if I must apply 1000 times. Lol.

But to be honest, the accredation dosen't really matter to me once the program helps me meet my goals. With an RA undergrad and RA masters that should be enough to get me through industry.

@ideas You gotta attack these courses with agression and not give up! They dont stand a chance!! To be honest I usualy eat through these courses much faster but I actually want to learn the stuff...Once somethong interests me its very easy and even if I dont like it, I dont give up till I get through it. 'IT MUST DONE'.

Yeah I saw may 4rh or 10th. But at this point I have no other option except doing it at TESU so most likely I'll have to wait for September graduation, its okay though just a small delay in a long path.

When I fist looked at that TESU BA in CS it seems too expensive. Now I'm literally a few courses away! Its just time to pass. I'll get it!

@sanatone arrogant am I? Hmm thats such a big word for hard headed me. Lets see wjat google says.

"Arrogant

/ˈarəɡ(ə)nt/

adjective

having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities."

I dont think I am that important. When did I say that? I never said that I am and when did I exaggerate my abilities?

You can call me arrogrant, hard headed whatever. I've been called many things.

Sure I cant read very well and I dont have reasoning skills. Heck I may not even be able to spell my own name. But you know what?  Its not going to stop me. I stand up for what I believe and put my life and name on the line to do what needs to be done.
I have two things I need to achive my goals. Balls and Grit.

Its working for me so far.

I was not able to earn my degree after 7 years because I was too busy doing my job. If a day I had class and that same day a 4 year old girl was raped or some guy got assaulted, you can bet your bottom dollar what I'm going to be doing, so yeah I missed a few classes. But you know what? But this time next year I'll have 4 undergrad degrees.

Btw isnt that the reason the big 3 exists? To help adults like me that due to time and life commitment and couldnt finish their degree after 7 years finish?
What are you implying, that I was too stupid to finish?

You cant see why someone cant finish a degree after 7 years because YOU ARE UNAWARE of what some people must go through.

I told you, I was not arguing. You called me arrogant,
hardheaded, told me I cant read and have poor reasoning skills, and implied I was too stupid to finish a degree cause you cant see it.

Its okay though in the process you actually taught me a lot about how agencies there keep down people who educate themselves and confirmed my suspicion on some things.

FYI after 7 years a CJ underdgrad, stupid hard headed me learned one thing, most of you CJ researchers fail to see the bigger picture.

Enough of you, I'm ignoring you from now on.

@Dr. B
Sorry Dr. B if you were offended you were such a nice guy when I talked to you, I did mention that. Big Grin

LOL. It took me seven years to finish a bachelor's degree, but that's because I stopped and started and changed majors. Either you cumulatively studied CJ for seven years or you didn't. If you stopped and started, then you did not truly study CJ for seven years. 

I'll admit that maybe hardheaded is not the appropriate term. Stubborn is more fitting. Instead of considering that the program advisor knows what his degree is called, you insisted that you knew better and insulted the man for no reason.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Hello,
    If anyone would like some information about UA Little Rock's PhD program in Computer and Information Science, Information Science Track, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

Regards,
IS Track Coordinator
[-] The following 4 users Like IStrack's post:
  • Life_One, Merlin, MNomadic, verenaf
(12-18-2018, 10:14 PM)IStrack Wrote: Hello,
    If anyone would like some information about UA Little Rock's PhD program in Computer and Information Science, Information Science Track, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

Regards,
IS Track Coordinator

Welcome and thank you for being here!

Should a new thread be created to start a fresh discussion?
[-] The following 1 user Likes verenaf's post:
  • louisr
(12-19-2018, 12:24 AM)verenaf Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:14 PM)IStrack Wrote: Hello,

Regards,
IS Track Coordinator

Welcome and thank you for being here!

Should a new thread be created to start a fresh discussion?

That is probably not a bad idea, considering this thread is pretty bloated with side conversations that really don't add much to the conversation about the UALR CIS program.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • verenaf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,056 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Updated List of MOOC Bachelors/Masters degrees bjcheung77 3 2,042 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Anyone Done/Thoughts Online Masters In ITM or IT (Coursera) From IIT sam98 5 1,062 09-22-2023, 01:57 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,840 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest RA CS/IT graduate program that accepts my UoPeople CS Bachelors? mastersDegreeDecision 7 1,583 03-14-2023, 11:37 AM
Last Post: kidneysmasher
  Thoughts and Opinions on PhD in Bible Exposition from Liberty University isaachunter 18 6,144 08-06-2022, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Accredited Online Masters (and Bachelors) Degrees Under $2000 Sdmj33 1 1,732 12-12-2020, 05:12 AM
Last Post: harrypotter
  Thoughts on Brandman University natshar 0 878 12-04-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Any thoughts on ESERP? JWells247 2 735 08-25-2020, 03:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  US State Licensed & Registered - UK Accredited - Thoughts? bjcheung77 8 2,392 08-10-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster