Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhD after getting a degree with many ACE/NCCRS/Sophia credits
I’ve just completed my TESU degree thanks to degree forum(you guys!). I finished a 6 class term by the skin of my teeth. 

Looking at grad school: I know it's a long shot, but has anyone successfully applied for a decent PhD course and be accepted with lots of transfer ACE/NCCRS credits, or is it best to get a master's first before PhD if we want something in say the top 20 school in Computer Science?

Seems like there's a lot of mention about paid PhD programs, I suppose scholarships are out of the question. ha, I do not mind paying. And wonder if it makes sense to just apply for any opening in labs doing non-research roles then build out a relationship, express interest in research and go from there.
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

[-] The following 2 users Like StudentOLife's post:
  • jsd, MFG
it might be prudent to get a master first
Why not try applying to Doctoral programs and see what response you get? Then you can make a more informed decision from there. If you do happen to get accepted into a Doctoral program, and you finish, no one will care about a Master's. That being said, the types of credits you have will make this difficult in the United States when you're talking about top schools especially. We understand what it takes to go the route you have. It's smart and takes self-starting and discipline, but the gatekeeper's at these schools tend to be out of touch curmudgeons who don't understand the value of that.
Many doctoral programs require a master's for entrance. Have you looked at any programs? Which major are you looking for?
To be completely honest, I wasn't even aware that there were PhD programs that allowed you to enter immediately after a bachelors.

As for your actual question, at the end of the day it is up to the institution to decide whether or not your degree is acceptable. Some universities will have requirements such as 30 graded credits or some will need you to send in all your official transcripts (including sophia/SDC/etc.), but it's all up to the institution.

For the most part I believe you'd be better off doing a masters first, since it will definitely broaden your PhD opportunities and choices. A lot of people on this forum have been accepted into highly respectable schools such as GeorgiaTech.

From what I understand you are wanting to go into research (is that the eventual goal?) If that is, then I would recommend possibly looking at South African unis for the masters. Many master programs in South Africa usually have a few practical courses, however half of your degree is a masters thesis, which can greatly help build up your portfolio and research skills for when you are trying to get into a top 20 PhD program. If that is something you would be interested in I suggest looking at UNISA (University of South Africa), they are completely online and very very affordable.
In progress:
XAMK: Video Game Creation certificate (8/13 courses completed)
Metropolia: Multiple Courses (In Progress: IT Services Sales and Marketing)

Completed:
Sophia: 62 credits
i-to-i: 180-hour TEFL certificate (DEAC- accredited)
(12-03-2022, 04:00 PM)Personherebb9 Wrote: To be completely honest, I wasn't even aware that there were PhD programs that allowed you to enter immediately after a bachelors.

Actually that is the norm for fully-funded PhDs. You typically have to be a shining star in your BA. But your PhD will be fully funded 5 years. The first 3 years is basically the Master's. The 2nd two years is your doctorate. This is why so many people "Master out" instead of finishing their doctorate.

(12-03-2022, 01:04 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: I’ve just completed my TESU degree thanks to degree forum(you guys!). I finished a 6 class term by the skin of my teeth. 

Looking at grad school: I know it's a long shot, but has anyone successfully applied for a decent PhD course and be accepted with lots of transfer ACE/NCCRS credits, or is it best to get a master's first before PhD if we want something in say the top 20 school in Computer Science?

Seems like there's a lot of mention about paid PhD programs, I suppose scholarships are out of the question. ha, I do not mind paying. And wonder if it makes sense to just apply for any opening in labs doing non-research roles then build out a relationship, express interest in research and go from there.

I applied to and got into six doctorate programs. None were PhDs, but a few were EdDs, one was a DBA, and another was a DHA. I had no problem getting in with an UMPI masters. However, they gave a significant amount of weight to already having a Master's degree. 

It's not required, if, your PhD programs lets you Master on the way to the PhD. But, I do recommend it, if you're application isn't shining and with GRE test scores that are near-perfect. If you don't have a master's a lot of programs will likely expect a GRE. 

If you plan on paying for your own PhD. I'd recommend get a master's first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DBA Degree from UCAM by Westford doyouhowdo1 35 4,780 02-04-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Dr.Philos. – another route to a Norway doctoral degree durain 0 518 10-24-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: durain
  Doctoral Degree ThatBankDude 10 3,219 08-26-2023, 07:01 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Doctor of Management (DM) - 42 Credits/TRACS - about $16K USD bjcheung77 8 2,137 06-15-2023, 11:27 PM
  New D.Eng. degree at PSWC Alpha 8 1,476 10-12-2022, 01:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  South Eastern Doctor of Education - 2 concentrations, 54 Credits, $27K bjcheung77 0 903 01-27-2022, 08:45 PM
  Best master's degree to get if my ultimate goal is Ed.D manley0702 7 3,167 03-24-2020, 09:44 PM
  Degree Completion Program for PhD tripsigg 3 1,351 12-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bluebooger