Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical-the future of B&M universities
All very interesting contributions. It ties in with career advice I might offer my kids. Many websites list "teacher" among jobs that will be extinct in 50 years. But then, kids still need to be warehoused while their parents work. What will that look like? A huge room with 200 computers and 1 adult supervisor? That would be the most efficient. Of course, the wealthy would choose private schools with a very different curriculum and class size. Since many jobs of 2050 have not yet been invented, I will just continue to teach my kids to learn how to learn, think critically, speak the truth, do the right thing and be kind and hope and pray that they will be ok. No no, not just ok but have a spectacular life and leave the world a better place.
Another anecdote: My Dad in the 1950s in Germany had "typewriter mechanic/repairman" as a dream job. He was devastated when he did not get accepted.(good luck finding a job in that line of work today...) He spent his career as an accountant. It paid the bills, but he did not love it. He tinkered with mechanical and electronic things in his spare time: Bottomline: sometimes things happen for a reason, things change, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • Ideas
A robot or some highly interactive platform using AI or quasi AI will tailor instruction to the individual´s wants or competencies. You come home and the platform of your choice creates a lesson plan for you. It can goad or challenge you. It will reward you for progress, possibly punish you for failure. Via constant testing it will know where to steer you. It will schedule meet-ups with other students as needed. It will set appointments for you to attend lectures or seminars based on your interests. It will probably work with other platforms to even schedule and pay the presenters. Degrees will mean much less because competency-based examinations and real-world, hands-on projects will trump them.

¨Alexa, I want to be an expert in medieval European history.¨
¨How much time do you wish to allocate?¨
¨Mmmm, 4 hours per week¨
¨Okay, dedicating 4 hours for week, you can be an expert in medieval European history in approximately 38 months¨
¨Fine, let us begin on Monday¨

You will receive lessons during your driver-less commute. Your television viewing will be an actual PROGRAMMING schedule based on your desired outcomes.

Something like that Tongue
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I’m not a huge fan of renting out condos simply because of the unlimited HOA rules that tenants ignore and the fines landlords eat.

Look rather at buying a single family home in Indianapolis. You should be able to get two for the price of one condo in Ft. Collins and collect double the rent. Plus SFR renters are more long term.

As for the future of education I think holograms and platforms like coursera will replace most traditional colleges.

And yes I was a C student and college dropout who eventually went into the property rental business.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • Muldoon
This is sort of on the topic. I came across this MOOC about what high school curriculums should be like in the future. https://www.edx.org/course/envisioning-t...the-future
It might have some interesting information. I haven't enrolled (yet). From the description it sounds like they really want to get input from everyone, rather than just teach the topic.

Started reading "The vanishing American adult" by Ben Sasse, as suggested in this thread. Great book, recommended for all of you parents out there.
I think a lot of the reason why more people don't go the PLA route NOW is due to prestige factor. Back when BAin4weeks first came out (or at least when I discovered it), most state colleges/universities only allowed you to CLEP out of a very limited number of classes. 4 or 5 or something insanely low like that. The Big 3 allowed more than that AND they looked like diploma mills (Charter Oak still does...). Online classes were a thing that didn't happen except with cheap community colleges.

But now more B&M universities are offering online classes and offering alternate credit sources to boost their numbers. They can see the direction of the future and that's the end of the tuition bubble. I'm not sure it'll pop suddenly like the housing market did, but it'll definitely deflate and it already seems to be doing so to some extent.
(03-17-2018, 12:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The Big 3 allowed more than that AND they looked like diploma mills (Charter Oak still does...).

I don't understand why people think this about COSC. Their site seems fine to me? I'm curious.

(03-17-2018, 12:46 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(03-17-2018, 12:09 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The Big 3 allowed more than that AND they looked like diploma mills (Charter Oak still does...).

I don't understand why people think this about COSC. Their site seems fine to me? I'm curious.

It looks cheap and poorly designed when compared to other university websites out there. They also offer relatively few degree programs. The giant alternate ways to earn credit thing right there doesn't help either (that's something diploma mills do). An employer who is just giving a cursory look at the site might have second thoughts about hiring someone from Charter Oak.  That said, I might consider getting a degree through them at some point anyway.
(03-17-2018, 01:07 PM)rachel83az Wrote: It looks cheap and poorly designed when compared to other university websites out there. They also offer relatively few degree programs. The giant alternate ways to earn credit thing right there doesn't help either (that's something diploma mills do). An employer who is just giving a cursory look at the site might have second thoughts about hiring someone from Charter Oak.  That said, I might consider getting a degree through them at some point anyway.

Thanks for explaining. Since they added the newest degrees, I think they look a lot better. For a long time, they had so few degrees in that menu.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • rachel83az
The couple of times I was asked about COSC, I simply replied that it was a small state college in CT. This is true and I've been there - when I graduated.

I don't know what normally happens, but I don't think that it's typical for a recruiter to go to your college website. I am pretty sure that they just look up whether it's RA, rather than taking time to evaluate it for themselves. (Ha they don't even read your resume, much less surf the net trying to find reasons not to hire you!)

And if all else fails, the very best way to "distract" a recruiter from your Big 3 degree is to get a master's degree! I get TONS more questions about my really cool grad program than my fairly boring undergrad!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 111 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 327 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,484 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,081 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Anglia Ruskin, Brunel, Coventry Universities - FutureLearn Offerings bjcheung77 0 508 03-25-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  When Universities slap their names on for profit coding bootcamps davewill 0 444 03-20-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Universities have become partners with online sports-betting companies Imbanewbie 1 809 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Top 10 US Universities That Produce the Most Staff for Global Tech Firms LevelUP 11 1,328 09-26-2022, 01:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  University of the Future Alpha 0 363 08-15-2022, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities Pats20 34 2,981 07-16-2022, 04:36 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle