Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Physical Science DSST - My Experience
Hi everyone. Since I asked about how hard the Physical Science DSST exam was, and not many people had taken it, I thought I would share a positive experience from someone who has just taken it. I passed it with an 80, but I must say it was an ugly test experience.

As per the confidentiality agreement, I cannot disclose test specifics, but I can give you a general feeling of what the test was like for me.

Resources used:
- Barron's EZ-101 Physics. This book was a nice summary, but it is much more useful if you have a physics background, since it does not get into enough detail for new concepts. Since I had taken physics in the past, this book was a good review.
- Barron's Chemistry The Easy Way. This book was much bigger, which was very intimidating when I received it. I ended up skimming the relevant chapters.
- DSST Physical Science The Easy Way to Pass. I read through this book, which was very easy and occasionally had some concept mistakes (although they were easy to spot).
If I had to study this again, I would use the Barron's physics book, skim through the chemistry book, and get some of my old school textbooks to revise some of the more complex physics concepts.

Recommended study method:
Get the official exam fact sheet, and look for the different topics. You will be asked about most (if not all) of the topics, so make sure you understand them. I would just look for a topic on the Barron's study guides, and if that's not enough, go to a real physics or chemistry text book. This exam covers 3 credits of physics and chemistry, so there isn't much need to get into a lot of detail.

Total study time:
3 afternoons (2 for physics and 1 for chemistry) and a quick read through on the evening before the test. I had to prepare many other exams for this week, and since I could take a class or SL course to get these credits, this wasn't my top priority. I would recommend revising a bit more, because I had many many doubts during the exam.

General Feedback:
1) Questions. Questions were long and awful. There were 75 questions, and they took me over an hour to complete. I kept second-guessing myself, and I marked about 30 for review before giving up and not marking them even when I was unsure of my answers.

2) Equations. I had relearned about half of the equations I learned in school, but they were not too useful. I had some formula-based questions, but this test certainly looked for an understanding of the topic. It was not enough to know the equations except for a few questions (the only questions where I knew that my answers were right).

3) Chemistry - Ugh. I used to have a good chemistry background (I took part in the chem olympiads in my last year at school), but I did not remember the periodic table or half of the concepts. Chemistry concepts are necessary for this test, so make sure you know them. Try to learn the periodic table and common atomic masses, like you probably learned for chemistry at high school. I took this less seriously than a normal class, so I was not sure about the theory. I expected a few more equation balancing questions, and it was somewhat disappointing that half of the exam was not based on those.

4) Physics. I am good at physics, but this exam was weird. Some questions made no sense, and I could not recall one or two equations. Physics is supposed to be my strong subject, and here I didn't really know what to think. Make sure you read the questions properly, and if there seems to be a direct answer, mark it.

5) Don't fear. I was tempted to cancel my scores, believing that my exam was horrible. I thought that I had paid anyway, so went ahead and reported the scores. I was really surprised to see the score, which means that the curve plays in our favour. I know I made several mistakes, so it's great to receive the maximum score.

Good luck everyone!
That's a perfect 100%! You killed that one -- Way to go!! It’s not often we see a score of 80 on here. Congrats and Congrats again!
Excellent! Congratulations!!!

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am thinking about taking this one, too, which will be my last exam!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Publius Wrote:That's a perfect 100%! You killed that one -- Way to go!! It’s not often we see a score of 80 on here. Congrats and Congrats again!

Thanks! The score was a surprise for me, because I had marked so many questions for review that I was really scared about the result. I was quite annoyed this week, because I took several exams, and got 79, 79, and 76 for three of them, which were close but not perfect. Luckily, physics saved the day (although I would have never guessed that I would get a higher score in this one).

Like I said, I know that several of my answers were wrong (at least 2), so there is no need to get all the answers right to get the 80. In any case, a 55 would have been an A anyway, and I would have been happy about it.

NAP Wrote:Excellent! Congratulations!!!

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am thinking about taking this one, too, which will be my last exam!

NAP, I thought that the Physical Science questions were much easier for me than the natural science CLEP exam. Just make sure you learn the atomic masses (more or less) for the important elements--I had to start guessing element positions and calculating approximate masses to answer some of the questions. Throughout the exam, my thought was, "This is certainly not like the practice questions in the fact sheet."

Good luck if you choose this test; it is fun to study for, although somewhat surrealistic. There is no practice test in the DSST website, so you are forced to go almost blindly.
CLEP (24 credits)
Spanish, College Mathematics, A&I Lit

DSST (18 credits)
Physical Science, Technical Writing, Business Ethics, Ethics in America, World Religions, Criminal Justice

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 262 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,305 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 570 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway? studyingfortests 4 425 12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 397 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,209 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 297 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,060 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 591 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21