Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Picking the "best" school or degree - Which degree is RIGHT for you?
Another factor of these schools is how long would be the minimum time you need to attend these schools in order to graduate.

WGU would be 3-6 months. (1 term)
PUG 6 months (6 months is ultra-fast.  More like 9 months for most people)
UMPI 3-4 months (2 terms)

TESU 3 months
SNHU 10 months  (2 courses per term is full-time) 

For CBE schools, the longer you take, the more it costs. However, you can go as slow you want, unlike regular schools that have deadlines.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • adrianeraldo
A style of classes section may help. I don’t know how to word it exactly, but whether it is a at your own pace vs structured semester may make a big difference in decision.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
(02-25-2022, 05:19 AM)Insert Name Wrote: A style of classes section may help. I don’t know how to word it exactly, but whether it is a at your own pace vs structured semester may make a big difference in decision.

None of the schools we typically suggest are on a structured semester except for the capstone/cornerstone. Anything for Sophia, Study.com, and StraighterLine will be at your pace.
(02-24-2022, 11:12 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Another factor of these schools is how long would be the minimum time you need to attend these schools in order to graduate.

WGU would be 3-6 months. (1 term)
PUG 6 months (6 months is ultra-fast.  More like 9 months for most people)
UMPI 3-4 months (2 terms)

TESU 3 months
SNHU 10 months  (2 courses per term is full-time) 

For CBE schools, the longer you take, the more it costs. However, you can go as slow you want, unlike regular schools that have deadlines.

How do you know how quickly people are going at Purdue Global?  And if they are bringing in 75% of their credits, which would make a big difference in speed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-25-2022, 04:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: How do you know how quickly people are going at Purdue Global?  And if they are bringing in 75% of their credits, which would make a big difference in speed.

PUG is weird. They are on the quester system so 75% doesn't sound as fabulous. 25% of 180 credits is 45 credits and PUG classes are 5-6 credits each typically. The ExcelTrack classes can be very slow due to the amount of work required. You also have to wait for you papers tp be graded and approved before you can move to the next topic in the class. This slows people down a lot. In the regular program you can't accelerate. You're on a semester type schedule. The capstone is like this. My husband starts his capstone next week. Even though he's in ExcelTrack, the capstone is not an ExcelTrack course. It's a regular 10 week course. He wasn't aware that it was the full 10 weeks until he was told that today. He was hoping to finish early, but he found out today that isn't possible. He also has an hour long weekly meeting with the course instructor for the capstone which is something totally new to him. PUG is pretty slow compared to UMPI and WGU where you are really free to move quickly and not have to complete 5+ papers for each class.
IMO, I don't want to add too much information. Then the page becomes overwhelming and useless. I'm not convinced that "cost of RA credits" or "time to completion" are meaningful data points to add. Both of these can vary wildly depending on the student.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, back2thefuture, ss20ts
(02-25-2022, 04:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: IMO, I don't want to add too much information. Then the page becomes overwhelming and useless. I'm not convinced that "cost of RA credits" or "time to completion" are meaningful data points to add. Both of these can vary wildly depending on the student.

Info also changes. The more info there is means that it will need more updating and monitoring. Time for completion will be different for everyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
With PUG's quarter system, you only need to complete 8 courses there to get your degree. (5UL 3LL)

Eight courses may sound easy but it's a lot of writing. Personally, I can write 500 words per hour with research links, np.

The capstone as people reported does take the full 10 weeks. From what I heard they usually don't want you to start the capstone until you are done or almost all done with other classes. Though you could petition for an exception.

One student on DF reported doing 42 credits in one term. This post on Reddit describes how doing PUG in 2 terms was possible.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SecurityCareerA...global_in/

While technically 2 terms, is possible, if you are a fast writer and have a perfect plan, I would say most people would take 3 terms based on the reports I have seen.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-25-2022, 04:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: IMO, I don't want to add too much information. Then the page becomes overwhelming and useless. I'm not convinced that "cost of RA credits" or "time to completion" are meaningful data points to add. Both of these can vary wildly depending on the student.

The info I gave was something to explain more than you did.  I did not put anything that's changeable, I don't think.  I was looking at it as if I was coming from knowing nothing, and not understanding what the differences were between the schools.  I think just listing the schools isn't as helpful as telling people WHY you're listing them right there at the top.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Just wondering if we should expand or include other information such as the schools accepting NCCRS credits, such as Excelsior, TESU, and WGU, etc. And maybe another for accepting of Nationally Accredited courses, Excelsior, WGU, etc. The reason is because there are a few people who would like to partake in NCCRS courses from say Coopersmith, Davar or LawShelf.com, Onlinedegree.com, etc. I think it would be a good idea for mentioning this at least...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 581 11 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,151 Today, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,895 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 191 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,289 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 646 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 928 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 532 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM