Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Piercings?
Since we always have such lovely discussions, I thought we could introduce another topic: piercings!!

How do you all feel about piercings? (beyond the traditional female ear lobe).. If you have them, why? If you're opposed to them, why?
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
Interesting question ponygirl! I actually don't have any piercings, but I am not against them either, (to a certain extent) I don't have any simply because I never wanted any. The thought of having to clean them out twice a day, and risking infection just never appealed to me. In the future I may decide to get my ears pierced but that's about it. I do think that many people go overboard with piercing. Is it just me or is hard to have a normal conversation with someone while trying to overlook the huge nose rings, a tongue piercing, or like six piercings in one ear and a gage in the other? It's just not natural. I think piercings should be kept to a minimum and as insignificant as possible.
[SIZE=2]CLEPs: A&I Lit - 62, [/SIZE]College Algebra - 54, [SIZE=2]College Comp - 55, [/SIZE]Intro Sociology -59, [SIZE=2]College Math -67, [/SIZE]Intro Psychology -66, Western Civ I-56, Social Sciences and History - 60, Human Growth and Development -60, Introduction to Educational Psychology - 65, Natural Sciences - 54
DSST:Technical Writing -60, Introduction to Computing - 60, Intro to World Religions - 435
[SIZE=2]Courses: Comparative Worldviews -3 credits, Social Justice -3 credits, Leadership Theory and Practice - 3 credits, Leadership Management and Communications - 3 credits
Total Credit - 69

"Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12

"Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life." Proverbs 4:13

"For wisdom is better than
rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it." Proverbs 8:11
[/SIZE]
Sometimes I think a nose stud is okay, but it's a pretty rare occurrence, and other than that I don't go for anything that's not on the ears. There's nothing WRONG with piercing lips, tongues, eyebrows, bellybuttons, or nipples, but personally I think it's pretty gross. If you're a guy and you have more than one piercing, you've got issues. I like the traditional female earlobe, and there are some other ear piercings that are okay, but don't go overboard. I'd say four max.
I am a guy and I have 9 piercings so obviously I am in favor of them Smile I have them mainly for aesthetic and sensual reasons.

From a business standpoint I do not wear anything in my septum piercing in the office, but some other associates do - I just realize that some people stereotype others with piercings and so I tow the party line as it were as I do not want their prejudices to interfere with my career.
I have 6 piercings, 4 in my ear lobes, 1 in my tragus and my belly button. I like piercings but I think it's tacky when you have to many.
I don't have any, first because they can get ripped off in a fight, second I personally don't wear any jewelry. I don't care what other people do with their own bodies.
Ok, as an older member and one with medical experience, I have to say that some piercings, such as the tongue and private areas, are far more prone to infection than the ear lobe. I have seen many patients who lost part of the body part that was pierced because of severe infections. It is also possible to pass these infections to your partners as well. I have pierced ears, my son has a single pierced ear and I had my daughters ears pierced when she was about 5 months old. I think for a simple fashion statement it is fine, but when you get too many tattoos or piercings I have to start thinking about other underlying issues. My son started asking to pierce his ear when he was about 13, I told him he had to wait until he was at least 16. Then he had to give me the reason he wanted it pierced, and because everyone has one or it was cool, wasn't going to fly, he also had to tell me what was entailed in taking care of the piercing short and long-term. He had to realize this was a lifelong decision. Altering your body is not to be taken lightly. There are kids here with piercings and tattoos in elementary school. I think that goes too far, as they don't understand the lifelong committment. Sometimes I think society takes all this too lightly. My son has a friend who's Mom gave her breast implants for her 16th birthday. I think that is avoiding the real underlying issue of being comfortable in your own body and happy with what you have. Just my old foggie two cents!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
What others do is their business in my opinion, but for my own body or the bodies of loved ones, I'm not a big fan. Ears are fine, though I do not have mine done only due to a silly fear; when I was 8 or so, my mother had my ears pierced, and within a few days, had infection despite careful cleaning by myself, then by mom and sis when they thought I was just not doing a good enough job. It turns out the shop that did it had a few complaints already about lack of cleanliness, and they shared staph. Sparing the details, the doctors were very good with reconstruction but I was in my early twenties before the scar tissue faded. I know standards are far higher these days, but still, no piercings for me or loved ones. I get nauseous thinking about it.

To be contradictory, I have one tattoo, but it covers the majority of my back (stopping short of where anyone might see when wearing business dress) and required 7 sittings to complete. So irrational fears of needles only apply to ears, I guess.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
Don't do it. I'm old fashioned. The body is a temple. Worship it except for the occasional merlot, cabernet, light beer etc Wink
I was brought up to be clean shaven, free of piercings and tattoos and I will respect the wishes of my elders.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I have had my belly button pierced for years. It hurt so badly and took so long to heal when I got it that I swore I would never take it out. For the most part that has been true, though I have found that beyond the 7th month of pregnancy, it gets really uncomfortable so a break can be needed. Smile

I got my tongue pierced when I was just out of high school. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt and healed quickly but I hated it. I didn't like the way it looked and it was always banging up against my teeth. I quickly removed it after just a few weeks.

Other than that, I don't really like or dislike any particular piercing other than the really big ear ones.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert