Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont AAS BOG - credits?
I've been noticing that some of the credits I have brought in to Pierpont are only counted at 3 credits, whereas the testing site awarded as 6, or in the case of my AP credits, should have been 6 as well. I know at least CLEP English Comp should be 6. 

I know they try to match to an equivalent Pierpont class, so is this just a quirk with this degree? 

It's a bummer as I'm more behind than I thought. 

Here's everything I've passed, plus the AP:

6 Prior Credits (AP English)

Passed: DSST Intro to Computing, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, CLEP English Composition, DSST Substance Abuse, CLEP US History 1, DSST Environment & Humanities, DSST Management Information Systems, CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics, CLEP Principles of Microeconomics, CLEP Humanities, ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, DSST Public Speaking, CLEP Introductory Sociology
Goal: TESC A.A. General Studies, started 12/2011

6 Prior Credits (AP English)

Passed: DSST Intro to Computing, CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, CLEP English Composition, DSST Substance Abuse, CLEP US History 1, DSST Environment & Humanities, DSST Management Information Systems, CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics, ClEP Principles of Microeconomics. CLEP Humanities, ALEKS Intermediate Algebra, DSST Public Speaking, CLEP Introductory Sociology

54/60
CLEPs and DSSTs are really a situation where mileage can vary. IIRC, there are a couple of exams where you can get 3 credits at most schools, but 9 credits at others.

I would send an email to Nancy Parks, though. She might be able to assist/clarify what's going on. It could be that the person doing the transcripts made a mistake when entering data.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Here's Pierpont's published list of CLEP equivalencies. https://catalog.pierpont.edu/content.php...navoid=357

Comp does indeed come in as 3 credits there. ACE, College Board, etc publish recommendations on credit, but it's up to each school as to whether or not they'll accept certain courses/exams, and for how much credit. Still worth getting in touch w/ Ms. Parks, though.
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
The "testing site" doesn't award credit - ACE recommends credit, and then each individual college awards credit (or not) as they see fit.

Everything is ACE-recommended for 3cr unless noted below:

AP English should definitely be 6cr and would negate the CLEP Composition exam entirely (not even sure why you would take that when you have AP credits for the same thing).

CLEP English Composition - duplicate, 0cr
CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature - 3cr if taken 5/1/15 or later, 6cr prior to that date
CLEP US History 1
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics
CLEP Humanities - 3cr if taken 5/1/15 or later, 6cr prior to that date
CLEP Introductory Sociology

DSST Intro to Computing
DSST Substance Abuse
DSST Environment & Humanities
DSST Management Information Systems
DSST Public Speaking

ALEKS Intermediate Algebra - 3cr if taken prior to 8/31/17, 0cr starting 9/1/17
---------------------------------------

It would be helpful if you told us what each exam came in as. Like, what did the AP English exam receive? Did Environment & Humanities come in as a science course? Did you get credit for ALEKS Intermediate Algebra? Things like this would be helpful to be able to further guide you.

Just list each course, and then the number of credits Pierpont gave you beside it, along with where they placed it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • glammie83

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 439 Today, 12:49 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 3 127 04-15-2024, 04:02 PM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 885 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 671 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 778 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 753 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 668 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,031 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,725 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,369 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP