Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS Degree: Some questions
So I've become interested in the Pierpont BOG AAS degree, I've taken a bunch of credits at my local CC and due to some life circumstances I was never able to actually finish getting my associates and my living situation at the moment would make it difficult to commute to school everyday.
Anyway, enough with the sob story.

My questions are, say I submit my credits for evalution to Pierpont and I don't meet enough credits to graduate. Do I have to take courses with Pierpont itself to finish or can I take courses from say Straighterline or CLEP credits and keep transferring those in for evaluation until I do qualify?

Also I've read that this BOG AAS degree is a Terminal Degree but would it be good enough to say transfer into Western Governor's University or one of the Big 3 schools like COSC or TESU? My end goal is one of WGU's IT degree's like the software development program so I'm hoping that I can use the AoS degree to look for some regular day job and then get my BS once I got some more money saved up.

Thanks for any help, I'm really excited about this no Idea you could get your AA degree this way.
Yes, you can keep taking courses like Straighterline and CLEP to qualify, but evaluations take time. Personally I would do a little extra to be sure.

You can use the AAS degree to get out of Gen Ed requirements at many schools. Good plan Smile

The Pierpont AAS will get you the credits you need to satisfy WGU's Gen Ed, but not TESU or COSC - they bring in all of the credits and look at them one by one, rather than as a whole.  But that doesn't really matter, as you'll just be bringing in 60 credits towards a BA/BS degree.

For WGU, only about 25-30% of the degree is Gen Ed, so taking the credits just to get the AAS in order to satisfy gen ed requirements there isn't the very best route for you.  And I'm not certain that the AAS will do much for you either, as most employers don't require a general AAS with no concentration for a job.  They normally want something else (experience, a specific degree, or even a BA/BS).  But, if you wanted to try to coordinate your AAS credits with the WGU IT degree, that actually might be very helpful.  They will take lots of credits besides just the Gen Ed portion.

Here is a spreadsheet for the Pierpont AAS, and I have a generic WGU BSIT degree - it may not be the exact degree that you want, but it will give you somewhere to start.  Try to make sure that you figure out the exact degree you want, put in the courses needed, then make sure that as many of the 60cr as possible that you get for the AAS will also take care of requirements for the major in the WGU degree.  The AAS itself will take care of the Gen Ed portion.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Pierpont BOG AAS.xlsx (Size: 13.65 KB / Downloads: 135)
.xlsx   WGU-BSIT.xlsx (Size: 12.55 KB / Downloads: 21)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-14-2018, 11:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The Pierpont AAS will get you the credits you need to satisfy WGU's Gen Ed, but not TESU or COSC - they bring in all of the credits and look at them one by one, rather than as a whole.  But that doesn't really matter, as you'll just be bringing in 60 credits towards a BA/BS degree.

For WGU, only about 25-30% of the degree is Gen Ed, so taking the credits just to get the AAS in order to satisfy gen ed requirements there isn't the very best route for you.  And I'm not certain that the AAS will do much for you either, as most employers don't require a general AAS with no concentration for a job.  They normally want something else (experience, a specific degree, or even a BA/BS).  But, if you wanted to try to coordinate your AAS credits with the WGU IT degree, that actually might be very helpful.  They will take lots of credits besides just the Gen Ed portion.

Here is a spreadsheet for the Pierpont AAS, and I have a generic WGU BSIT degree - it may not be the exact degree that you want, but it will give you somewhere to start.  Try to make sure that you figure out the exact degree you want, put in the courses needed, then make sure that as many of the 60cr as possible that you get for the AAS will also take care of requirements for the major in the WGU degree.  The AAS itself will take care of the Gen Ed portion.

Awesome, thanks for the resources. I'm pretty much dead set on the WGU Software Development degree, I've been planning it out for awhile. Maybe their new CS degree depending on how it fits with my plans. As for the AAS for a job, eh, I'd rather have it than not have it. My work experience is spotty so anything to help the resume is a big plus in my book. And personally, I just want the thing. I should have god knows how much CC credits so I should easily meet most of the 60, my only concern is math classes of which I plan to take CLEP tests  which if I complete in time should meet most of the Software Development degree courses and some of the CS ones and some CompTIA certs as well (unless there's a faster way to go about getting some of those math requirements?).

(04-14-2018, 09:32 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes, you can keep taking courses like Straighterline and CLEP to qualify, but evaluations take time. Personally I would do a little extra to be sure. 

You can use the AAS degree to get out of Gen Ed requirements at many schools. Good plan Smile

That was my only worry in case I didn't meet the graduation requirements. I plan to take as many classes in my spare time to satisfy those 60 credits which, including all my CC stuff, should hopefully be enough.

Again thanks for all the help.
Out of a longshot I sent an e-mail to Nancy Parks over at Pierpont and she informally evulated my CC credits and it seems everything will transfer over, it helps I had something like 90 credits to transfer over. She'll send the application tomorrow and I'll be eligible to graduate for Summer 2018 if the communication I had with her is anything to go by.

Now just to wait and see.

My only concern now is WGU.

Suppose I do get the AAS degree. Can I keep taking straighterline/CLEP/Study.com/etc. courses and use those along with the AAS degree to get as many credits as I can before I actually enroll?

Thanks for any responses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes echo64's post:
  • Life_One
(04-19-2018, 10:05 PM)echo64 Wrote: Out of a longshot I sent an e-mail to Nancy Parks over at Pierpont and she informally evulated my CC credits and it seems everything will transfer over, it helps I had something like 90 credits to transfer over. She'll send the application tomorrow and I'll be eligible to graduate for Summer 2018 if the communication I had with her is anything to go by.

Now just to wait and see.

My only concern now is WGU.

Suppose I do get the AAS degree. Can I keep taking straighterline/CLEP/Study.com/etc. courses and use those along with the AAS degree to get as many credits as I can before I actually enroll?

Thanks for any responses.

Yes - you should definitely do this.  WGU won't take any courses after you enroll, so take what you need, apply, get everything evaluated, and then when you're ready, enroll.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Not to speak badly about Mrs.Parks, but save every e-mail you have with her. It could save you headaches in the future. Also, any e-mails from other departments make sure you save them.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Life_One's post:
  • echo64
(04-21-2018, 12:15 AM)Life_One Wrote: Not to speak badly about Mrs.Parks, but save every e-mail you have with her. It could save you headaches in the future. Also, any e-mails from other departments make sure you save them.

Of course, just in case. Any bad experiences you've had? I've heard they are slow to respond but so far communication has been quick with the two departments I've spoken to (Admissions and Mrs. Parks).
[-] The following 1 user Likes echo64's post:
  • Life_One
I will just say this, Sometimes I get a response other times I won't get a response. Other times, things where promised to be looked into or done for me and nothing was ever done months later if at all. Sometimes a professor will say you will receive credit for some transfers and you will be told you don't receive as much from another office.

I'm not trying to be negative but my experience with some departments has been less than stellar. That's why I recommend you save all e-mails and voice mails and whatever other paper trail because more likely than not you will need it to prove what people said or promised you.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Sounds like dealing with TESU
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 386 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 167 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 362 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 400 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 549 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 549 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 823 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,472 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,211 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 882 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM