Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS area of emphasis criteria revealed!
I think that all of Sophia's business courses (except maybe Accounting and Developing Effective Teams?) will count toward the AoE.
For the Information Systems AoE, Sophia has 9 of the required 15 credits; the remainder would need to come from Coursera or similar.
You could probably obtain a Communications AoE using Sophia.
Depending on whether Pierpont counts Art History as "History", you might be able to get a History AoE using only Sophia.
You could almost get a Math AoE. Take Algebra, Foundations of Statistics (2 cr), Introduction to Statistics, Introduction to College Math, and Introductory Applied Math (1 cr). That should get you 12 credits. Then take CSM Learn for a total of 15 math credits. It's possible that CSM Learn would overlap with Applied Math or College Math, in which case you'd need a math from somewhere else. Perhaps an ALEKS class?
A Science AoE might be possible by taking all of the science courses that Sophia offers + 2 ASU science courses. This wouldn't be cheap, but I'm presuming that the idea would be to avoid proctoring. Habitable World and The Living World don't have any proctored exams. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-31-2022, 12:13 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:54 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:19 PM)jjgre3 Wrote: Hello all. Is it possible to have the Sophia Business courses count towards an Area of Emphasis in General Business or Business Administration?

Yes, that's what I've got.

Bumping this thread to ask:  Which Sophia Business courses count toward the Business Area of Emphasis?  Can a Business Area of Emphasis be earned 100% from Sophia?  Can any Area of Emphasis be earned 100% via Sophia?  Thanks!

When I was planning on attending WGU, I took all the sophia courses that were transferable to WGU under business HR Management. I have the Pierpont BOG with a concentration of business. You only need 15 credits. I dont know which ones counted as the degree concentration but i took

Intro to BUS from a tech school (it's on sophia)
I did BUS Law
Principles of Finance
Principles of Management
Comm in the Workplace
Project Management 
Developing Effective Teams
Accounting

You can definitely do it all Sophia because the only business class I took not on sophia is intro to BUS, and that is available on sophia. Hope this helps.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
[-] The following 1 user Likes learningthehardway's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
(05-31-2022, 12:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that all of Sophia's business courses (except maybe Accounting and Developing Effective Teams?) will count toward the AoE.
For the Information Systems AoE, Sophia has 9 of the required 15 credits; the remainder would need to come from Coursera or similar.
You could probably obtain a Communications AoE using Sophia.
Depending on whether Pierpont counts Art History as "History", you might be able to get a History AoE using only Sophia.
You could almost get a Math AoE. Take Algebra, Foundations of Statistics (2  cr), Introduction to Statistics, Introduction to College Math, and Introductory Applied Math (1 cr). That should get you 12 credits. Then take CSM Learn for a total of 15 math credits. It's possible that CSM Learn would overlap with Applied Math or College Math, in which case you'd need a math from somewhere else. Perhaps an ALEKS class?
A Science AoE might be possible by taking all of the science courses that Sophia offers + 2 ASU science courses. This wouldn't be cheap, but I'm presuming that the idea would be to avoid proctoring. Habitable World and The Living World don't have any proctored exams. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...al_Learner
Thank you!  Nancy Parks did not see any "area of emphasis" after looking through my transcripts, but I'd be very willing to take another Sophia course or two to earn an AOE.  I tried for Communications (even appealing to the registrar) but they do not accept Engl Comp I & II, unfortunately, to be applied towards the AOE for Communications Sad.  Then I reread this thread and saw that NoStudentNoCry had gotten "business" as AOE with Sophia, so I was wondering which of Sophia's 5 courses in particular applied to the AOE for them??  I feel like I've been "pestering" a very long-suffering and patient Ms. Parks, and always appreciate the helpful advice here Smile.  The history avenue sounds super interesting, wonder if anyone has tried it?  Thanks again, Rachel, really appreciate your reply, and if anyone has earned an AOE through Sophia I'd love to hear about it Smile.
I wasn't even counting English Comp I & II for the Communication AoE. Sophia has:
Communication at Work
Conflict Resolution
Public Speaking
The Power of Persuasion
Visual Communications

That ought to be 15.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
(05-31-2022, 01:06 PM)learningthehardway Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 12:13 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:54 PM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:19 PM)jjgre3 Wrote: Hello all. Is it possible to have the Sophia Business courses count towards an Area of Emphasis in General Business or Business Administration?

Yes, that's what I've got.

Bumping this thread to ask:  Which Sophia Business courses count toward the Business Area of Emphasis?  Can a Business Area of Emphasis be earned 100% from Sophia?  Can any Area of Emphasis be earned 100% via Sophia?  Thanks!

When I was planning on attending WGU, I took all the sophia courses that were transferable to WGU under business HR Management. I have the Pierpont BOG with a concentration of business. You only need 15 credits. I dont know which ones counted as the degree concentration but i took

Intro to BUS from a tech school (it's on sophia)
I did BUS Law
Principles of Finance
Principles of Management
Comm in the Workplace
Project Management 
Developing Effective Teams
Accounting

You can definitely do it all Sophia because the only business class I took not on sophia is intro to BUS, and that is available on sophia. Hope this helps.
Thank you!

(05-31-2022, 01:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I wasn't even counting English Comp I & II for the Communication AoE. Sophia has:
Communication at Work
Conflict Resolution
Public Speaking
The Power of Persuasion
Visual Communications

That ought to be 15.

Thank you!  I know the Communication at Work, Public Speaking, and Visual Communications apply, I will ask Ms. Parks if Conflict Resolution (which I have) and Power of Persuasion would qualify for the Area of Emphasis, which would be my quickest route.  I appreciate the information and the direction!
@k-k-k-katy, yes, I would finish the BOG AAS using those Sophia.org business courses. Which school are you thinking of laddering up to and which degree at the Bachelors level? It may be beneficial to have a different emphasis at Pierpont if needed otherwise it may be redundant at the Bachelors level (if you're going for a Bachelors of Business), if you're going for the UMPI BAS with a minor, it requires 40 technical credits, you can probably get those by finishing off the Coursera certificates for cheap....
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • k-k-k-katy
I used the free DHS/TEEX Cybersecurity courses together with a couple of Sophia IT courses to earn the Pierpont BOG AAS with an AOS in Info Systems Technology.
(05-31-2022, 09:52 PM)ctcarl Wrote: I used the free DHS/TEEX Cybersecurity courses together with a couple of Sophia IT courses to earn the Pierpont BOG AAS with an AOS in Info Systems Technology.

Wish I had taken those TEEX courses when they were available!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes k-k-k-katy's post:
  • lynnii2
(06-01-2022, 11:34 AM)k-k-k-katy Wrote: Wish I had taken those TEEX courses when they were available!!!

This worked fine for me: https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...it-support
I finished in less than a week, so it was free.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • k-k-k-katy, lynnii2
(06-01-2022, 12:52 PM)origamishuttle Wrote: This worked fine for me: https://www.coursera.org/professional-ce...it-support
I finished in less than a week, so it was free.

Hi there - I know nothing about Coursera - are these courses letter graded or pass/fail?
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 328 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 149 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 349 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 547 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 544 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 814 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,459 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,203 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 881 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,216 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM