Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS no longer free
I talked to Nancy and she said I'm free to share her response with the forum. But the degree is still free, she explains everything:

Feel free to share my response on that forum.  If you do, you may also include the information below.  I could get on the forum myself, but I consider that a "student space" for your free exchange of ideas.  These are important points:

If you already have a degree--Associate degree or higher--the BOG is not an option.  It's only for adults who have no other degree.  An Associate of Arts grad is ineligible because they have an Associate.  A Bachelor's degree grad is ineligible because they already have a degree. This is State policy.

The "area of emphasis" such grads may be seeking does NOT appear in the degree title or on the diploma.  It is only a final transcript notation.  I encourage you to pull out any specific coursework or certifications you have and include that as a separate detail on your resume. Your degree is the same, but depending on the job you're applying for, you may wish to highlight different coursework.

Students must have graduated from high school two years prior to BOG program admissions.  Students with high school equivalencies must follow the academic year of what would have been their graduating class.  That is a State policy. The BOG is an adult degree completion program; it is not intended to lure students from other more traditional majors.  Remember:  any traditional Associate of Arts program will have ample room for free electives.  

We are overwhelmed with interest in this program; communicating with me by email is far more effective than playing phone tag, and I can respond much easier and faster to emails.

If you have someone in your life whom you would like to complete this degree, please encourage them to communicate with me directly.  You can't care about it more than they do.  That's not an admonishment, just a reminder.  Also, once they're admitted, I cannot talk to you without official release from the student.

I cannot review unofficial transcripts to give you an idea of what you might still need. I realize you want to save money on ordering transcripts, but I can only provide an official degree audit after incoming credits have been recorded by Registrar.  I'm not always right; in fact, I can recount a couple times where I predicted a student had met graduation eligibility and they had not. 
It was heartbreaking for both of us.

Please communicate with me after admissions through your Pierpont account. I realize our initial communications were through your personal email, but upon admissions, students receive a Pierpont email.  Please use it for our mutual protection.

Upon graduation, if you are sent a graduate follow-up survey, please complete it.  All programs are reviewed on a regular basis, and we value student feedback.  If you've ever provided an Amazon review, you know you're capable.  Ha.  We appreciate learning how attaining the "college graduate" status may have impacted your life.   

Thanks!
[-] The following 7 users Like Tulips95's post:
  • Chankosumo, clj626, jch, origamishuttle, ss20ts, VGFsirius, vintage_jacket
Nancy Parks is awesome.

Honestly, I hope some people send her a thank you card or a nice thank you note once done!
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • clj626, jch, origamishuttle
I'll be following this thread. I'm still working on my environmental science, and Google Certificate. I haven't event started history but maybe I should if they're going to raise the prices before I get a chance to apply.

Nancy sounds nice.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
(08-26-2022, 06:19 PM)Tulips95 Wrote: I talked to Nancy and she said I'm free to share her response with the forum.

Thank you for the excellent update!

(08-26-2022, 08:45 PM)ashkir Wrote: Nancy Parks is awesome.

My thought exactly. Amazing person running an amazing program!
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
I have submitted my application for December Graduation. I wasn't charged anything. I think I messed up though, because I didn't realize my Creadly transcript they had was from before my Google cert. So my AOE is buisness (not Info systems as I intended), but I'm still working through my BSBA HR at TESU. I'm worried this is going to mess something up because they used some of the same credits.
[-] The following 2 users Like Midnightsky7's post:
  • origamishuttle, ss20ts
(08-26-2022, 09:45 PM)Midnightsky7 Wrote: I have submitted my application for December Graduation. I wasn't charged anything. I think I messed up though, because I didn't realize my Creadly transcript they had was from before my Google cert. So my AOE is buisness (not Info systems as I intended), but I'm still working through my BSBA HR at TESU. I'm worried this is going to mess something up because they used some of the same credits.

Using the same credits only matters for same-level degrees (two Associates, two Bachelors), not two degrees of the same level (Associate + Bachelors). Having the Business AOE might not be what you wanted, but you didn't mess anything up. Reusing credits is perfectly fine, required even.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I'm glad people found the update useful, I love how dedicated Nancy is, I think she's helped a lot of people. I sent her the link to this page to see if she liked the post, and she asked if I could just add this part:

Thanks very much. The degree specifications can be confusing if you’re new to the program. 

Please add this:  

Students—Do not use the DegreeWorks tool on the website. There are now 15 general Ed required categories and 45 open electives that make up the BOG degree—too many possibilities for DegreeWorks to account for. The tool is great for students in traditional Pierpont programs with prescribed curricula, but this is not the case for BOG.

The program provides personalized advising for many reasons, this being one. Contact the program coordinator and advisor,  Nancy Parks, coordinator, with questions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tulips95's post:
  • christinadq, jch, origamishuttle
(07-10-2022, 07:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looks like it's now $300 for an evaluation: https://www.pierpont.edu/cost-aid/cost/tuition/

Honestly, it's a fair price, but I'm bummed as my kid turns 20 in 2 days and I was going to have her get this.

(07-15-2022, 07:51 AM)christinadq Wrote: Yesterday someone on a different group that I am in asked Ms Parks if the degree is still free and she said it is, but she did acknowledge that several of the gened course requirements are now 3 credits instead of 6.

Wait, so if I read this thread correctly, @dfrecore is going going to find out very soon if there's a $300 fee. I'll hopefully will be applying by end of year.

@christinadq @Tulips95 I read Nancy's communications on this thread, and I didn't specifically see anything regarding the cost or the possible cost increase.

Let me know if I missed something.
In Progress RA Deg./Cert.: AAS Business with Marketing concentration, and Certificate, 2024
In Progress Cert.: Google PM and IT Support | CAPM
Completed: Certificate and ALS - Community College (RA), 2022, 2023

CLEP: 5 courses | Sophia.org: 1 course | and many non-credits...
(08-27-2022, 06:01 PM)vintage_jacket Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 07:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Looks like it's now $300 for an evaluation: https://www.pierpont.edu/cost-aid/cost/tuition/

Honestly, it's a fair price, but I'm bummed as my kid turns 20 in 2 days and I was going to have her get this.

(07-15-2022, 07:51 AM)christinadq Wrote: Yesterday someone on a different group that I am in asked Ms Parks if the degree is still free and she said it is, but she did acknowledge that several of the gened course requirements are now 3 credits instead of 6.

Wait, so if I read this thread correctly, @dfrecore is going going to find out very soon if there's a $300 fee. I'll hopefully will be applying by end of year.

@christinadq @Tulips95 I read Nancy's communications on this thread, and I didn't specifically see anything regarding the cost or the possible cost increase.

Let me know if I missed something.

There is no $300 fee.  My husband applied this month and there was no fee.  He applied for graduation in December.  
She confirmed to him no fee.

She confirmed to Tulips95 above that there is no fee for a normal credit transfer.  That is for PLA.  My husband says she is incredibly kind and helpful.

Multiple sources, including other groups, have gotten the same response that Pierpont continues to be free as an AAS completion source for adult students with outside credits being accepted, including ACE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes christinadq's post:
  • origamishuttle
@vintage_jacket, the mentioned fee is for PLA assessment. You might want to relax a bit on that, but even if they did apply a fee for the next year, it's still the cheapest AAS anywhere (unless you're getting one free on route to the Bachelors). Having said that, we don't know what the future holds, they may change in 2023 or later. It's best to get everything done quickly since they still allow this...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 5 276 04-20-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Question Pierpont BOG AAS - AoE Graphics Technology Aikuroa 2 147 04-19-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 528 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 920 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 733 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 795 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 789 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 688 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,089 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,762 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares