Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierpont BOG AAS
(08-15-2018, 04:40 PM)Faceparade Wrote: At this point I’m not sure I’m totally sold on getting the ASNSM at TESU. For the purposes of getting certified I’d like to do this quick and cheap. I’m thinking an AS at COSC. They need 7-8 credits of science, including just one lab.

So my thoughts are it would be much simpler for me to just go for that. Try to CLEP For BIO and CHEM. Seems like those are both worth 6 credits each. And then do a bio lab through ed4credit. If they prove difficult as other have mentioned maybe I’ll try for some of the other schools mentioned.

The rest I’ll CLEP out, ALEKS for the math, and the FEMA plus TEEX and some of my CC to fill out the electives portion.

Am I totally off base here? I really appreciate all the direction you guys have given me. And I know that the ASNSM is the smarter choice for the future as far as transferability, but for now I’m ok with just meeting the requirements for my current position to take my exam.

You're not off base at all. The ASNSM in Bio is better on the resume than the general AA/AS long term at the associate degree level - both can be converted into a bachelor later down the road. But since you're in need of a shorter term solution (Associate degree w/those 12 credit requirements) I can completely understand taking the path of least resistance (and possibly lower cost/quicker).  COSC was my original first choice so I'm not against them at all - I just had a ridiculous amount of already earned credits and TESU allowed me to better utilize more of them.

If I were you at this point you might want to sign up with Modern States, get to take those two CLEPS for free - if you do pass them (I'm hopeful!) then you'll know for sure if that CLEP path is indeed a realistic option for you through COSC.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Awesome. Thanks for the help again.

Now to bring this whole thread around to the beginning. Pierpont seems to be trying to figure out a way to get transcripts out now. Who know how long that will take. Even if they don’t, I can take a 1cr course for $435 there and then they will produce a transcript. So to me, that sounds even cheaper than COSC.

I checked on bio and she said, submit the CLEP anyways , we’re more liberal and may take it. Otherwise I’ll go through study.com. They have a bio course with lab for a total of about $180.
(08-16-2018, 03:49 PM)Faceparade Wrote: Awesome. Thanks for the help again.

Now to bring this whole thread around to the beginning. Pierpont seems to be trying to figure out a way to get transcripts out now. Who know how long that will take. Even if they don’t, I can take a 1cr course for $435 there and then they will produce a transcript. So to me, that sounds even cheaper than COSC.

I checked on bio and she said, submit the CLEP anyways , we’re more liberal and may take it. Otherwise I’ll go through study.com. They have a bio course with lab for a total of about $180.

I can't disagree with you on the cheaper part - if it works to get you the credits you need with a complete transcript that you need - the $435 out of pocket for the 1 credit does make it very low cost for an associate degree.  They don't specifically say they don't take the CLEP Bio, they just don't show what its worth to them.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Hello Everyone,
Today I took the Fundamentals of Counseling DSST and got a 371. I studied for this test with a condensed study guide book from Pass Your Class. The study material from that book was not enough to get me a pass. They included 231 practice questions at the back of their book, I took them in two parts. I took each section twice scoring 65% and then 90% on the first half and then 77% and 92% on the second half. Adding both scores together it would give me a 71% on my first time through and then a 91% on my second time through. There were quite the amount of topics mentioned on my actual test that I hadn’t seen before.

Topics or things to know on the test:
·        Id is present at birth
·        E. G. Williamson
·        Stanford-Binet test
·        Assessment and appraisal techniques
·        Family therapy
·        Frank Parsons
·        Kohlberg’s stages (preconventional, conventional, postconventional)
·        Transference and counter-transference
·        How many counselors are needed to be considered a group?
·        Freud’s psychosexual stages
·        Tarasoff
·        Stereotyping
·        Humanistic therapy
·        Existential therapy
·        Behavioral therapy
·        Projection
·        Cognitive-Behavioral therapy
·        Aaron T. Beck and Cognitive therapy
·        Systems therapy
·        Robert Kegan
·        Treatment of HIV/AIDS patients
·        Ann Roe
·        John Holland
·        Donald Super
·        Carol Gilligan

Absolutely nothing about these topics on the test:
·        Erik Erikson
·        Karen Horney
·        B. F. Skinner
·        Dorothea Dix
·        Wilhelm Wundt
·        AA (alcoholics anonymous)
·        NBCC (National Board for Certified Counselors)
·        CACREP
·        Virginia Satir
·        REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy)
·        Classical conditioning
·        Logotherapy
·        Eclectic therapy
·        Feminist therapy
·        Substance abuse
·        Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs

This is the second time I have failed a college exam, the first time I did not care to write about because I knew that I didn’t study well enough for that one. From this experience I have learned that you can’t trust one single study resource. If you have access to other study resources then I’d advise studying from as many different ones as you can. By covering different study materials hopefully you will have had the opportunity to come across all the different topics that will be covered on your test so that you’re not slammed with a completely new and unfamiliar term on testing day.

As to how it feels to have failed a test. Well anytime you fail in life it’s not going to be fun. You just have to pick yourself up and keep right on going. God is still in control of everything and He has a plan and  reason for everything. So just keep going and don’t let it ruin your life. No one can expect to go through life without any problems/setbacks. Failing sometimes happens, I’m not going to let this experience discourage me from pursuing my college degree.

I will be taking Foundations of Education CLEP next. When I started working on my college back in 2016 I was going for a Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership. Since then I have switched to gettting a Bachelor’s in Child and Youth Development. I will be acquiring 87 credits from CLEP and DSST tests, then enroll in Charter Oak state college to complete my degree.

I have also taken:
Introduction to World Religions-DSST -479
Principles of Marketing-CLEP -63
Principles of Management-CLEP -56
Principles of Supervision-DSST -422
Introductory Psychology-CLEP -53
Introductory Sociology-CLEP -57
History of the United States 1 -57
Introduction to Business-DSST -435
Introduction to Educational Psychology –CLEP -57
Lifespan Developmental Psychology DSST -413

God bless and happy testing!
I received my diploma in the mail finally last week. It said I graduated in August, which was odd because in all of my communications and forms it was pretty clear that I was registered for a December graduation.

I worked late yesterday and I had a surprise waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home: a second BOG AAS diploma, this one saying I graduated in December! LOL

Two diplomas for the cost of some transcripts and an SDC course has to be the best deal ever. I guess it gives me some options for my resume. Anyone had anything like this happen before?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • Life_One
(02-15-2019, 11:35 AM)Tedium Wrote: I received my diploma in the mail finally last week. It said I graduated in August, which was odd because in all of my communications and forms it was pretty clear that I was registered for a December graduation.

I worked late yesterday and I had a surprise waiting for me on my doorstep when I got home: a second BOG AAS diploma, this one saying I graduated in December! LOL

Two diplomas for the cost of some transcripts and an SDC course has to be the best deal ever. I guess it gives me some options for my resume. Anyone had anything like this happen before?

Same.
My son's first one came last week, his corrected one this week. I'm pretty sure the one with the wrong date is void. We threw it away.
Now that they have the diploma date problem fixed, maybe they can focus on the no-transcript problem Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • cookderosa, Life_One, quigongene
(02-14-2019, 03:29 PM)jortholmes Wrote: Hello Everyone,
Today I took the Fundamentals of Counseling DSST and got a 371.

This post would get more replies if it was a separate post or in a different thread. I don't think it is relevant to this thread.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • quigongene
I too received my "Correct" diploma and my August one. I still would not recommend this program. It's a whole bunch of hurry up and wait. I have a rough draft written about my experience but I feel it is to negative to post and does not help anyone. Maybe I'll edit it and then post but now I'm working my butt off at WGU.
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(02-14-2019, 03:29 PM)jortholmes Wrote: Hello Everyone,
Today I took the Fundamentals of Counseling DSST and got a 371. I studied for this test with a condensed study guide book from Pass Your Class. The study material from that book was not enough to get me a pass. They included 231 practice questions at the back of their book, I took them in two parts. I took each section twice scoring 65% and then 90% on the first half and then 77% and 92% on the second half. Adding both scores together it would give me a 71% on my first time through and then a 91% on my second time through. There were quite the amount of topics mentioned on my actual test that I hadn’t seen before.

Topics or things to know on the test:
·        Id is present at birth
·        E. G. Williamson
·        Stanford-Binet test
·        Assessment and appraisal techniques
·        Family therapy
·        Frank Parsons
·        Kohlberg’s stages (preconventional, conventional, postconventional)
·        Transference and counter-transference
·        How many counselors are needed to be considered a group?
·        Freud’s psychosexual stages
·        Tarasoff
·        Stereotyping
·        Humanistic therapy
·        Existential therapy
·        Behavioral therapy
·        Projection
·        Cognitive-Behavioral therapy
·        Aaron T. Beck and Cognitive therapy
·        Systems therapy
·        Robert Kegan
·        Treatment of HIV/AIDS patients
·        Ann Roe
·        John Holland
·        Donald Super
·        Carol Gilligan

Absolutely nothing about these topics on the test:
·        Erik Erikson
·        Karen Horney
·        B. F. Skinner
·        Dorothea Dix
·        Wilhelm Wundt
·        AA (alcoholics anonymous)
·        NBCC (National Board for Certified Counselors)
·        CACREP
·        Virginia Satir
·        REBT (rational emotive behavior therapy)
·        Classical conditioning
·        Logotherapy
·        Eclectic therapy
·        Feminist therapy
·        Substance abuse
·        Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs

This is the second time I have failed a college exam, the first time I did not care to write about because I knew that I didn’t study well enough for that one. From this experience I have learned that you can’t trust one single study resource. If you have access to other study resources then I’d advise studying from as many different ones as you can. By covering different study materials hopefully you will have had the opportunity to come across all the different topics that will be covered on your test so that you’re not slammed with a completely new and unfamiliar term on testing day.

As to how it feels to have failed a test. Well anytime you fail in life it’s not going to be fun. You just have to pick yourself up and keep right on going. God is still in control of everything and He has a plan and  reason for everything. So just keep going and don’t let it ruin your life. No one can expect to go through life without any problems/setbacks. Failing sometimes happens, I’m not going to let this experience discourage me from pursuing my college degree.

I will be taking Foundations of Education CLEP next. When I started working on my college back in 2016 I was going for a Bachelor’s in Organizational Leadership. Since then I have switched to gettting a Bachelor’s in Child and Youth Development. I will be acquiring 87 credits from CLEP and DSST tests, then enroll in Charter Oak state college to complete my degree.

I have also taken:
Introduction to World Religions-DSST -479
Principles of Marketing-CLEP -63
Principles of Management-CLEP -56
Principles of Supervision-DSST -422
Introductory Psychology-CLEP -53
Introductory Sociology-CLEP -57
History of the United States 1 -57
Introduction to Business-DSST -435
Introduction to Educational Psychology –CLEP -57
Lifespan Developmental Psychology DSST -413

God bless and happy testing!

This post should be moved into one of the feedback folders. I know it's confusing at first, but you've posted your comments inside a discussion about earning an Associate degree through college Pierpont - people who can benefit from your feedback won't see it unless it's removed from here and given its own spot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 384 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 3 166 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 10 360 03-25-2024, 08:37 PM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 548 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 2 548 03-14-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: JohnJ2024
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 823 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,470 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Working on Pierpont AAS Ariadne 19 1,211 02-25-2024, 11:06 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions - Pierpont Apply Now? Chimera 8 882 02-22-2024, 01:49 AM
  Sophia to Pierpont The need 2 learn 17 2,229 02-20-2024, 02:25 PM