Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pity Party- You're Invited
Today I took my CLEP English Comp. exam. I'm a basket case. Did I pass? I don't even have a clue. For all of you posters asking about "which is the easiest test?" and not liking the "it depends" response, accept the answer. While I'm pretty good at grammar, I HATE writing. You probably haven't noticed it from my postings, but I can be a tad verbose. And disorganized. Also, I do a poor job of editing my own work.

Writing is agony for me to begin with, and having to do it within certain time constraints was murder. It wasn't even as if the two topics were hard, and heaven knows the opinion essay shouldn't have been hard as I have an opinion on everything. I was so anxious anticipating the exam that I don't think that I did as well on the multiple choice part as I could have. I tried telling myself that it didn't matter if I failed because there were other options, but it didn't really help.

My only advice is to try writing time essays before the day of the test. Write on anything. By the second (opinion) essay, I tried using the scrap paper to write down ideas. I probably would have done better to do an outline. Finally, KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. My problem was probably that I tried to make it too involved. Well, time will tell.

Okay, party's over. I'll pass or I won't. It's not the end of the world, and I still have about 60 credits to test out of. (See? I ended that sentence with a preposition. I sooooooo flunked.)
I know how it feels to feel like you are treading water during an exam. I have had that feeling a few times and I still passed. You may have passed and just can't tell because of the stress of the exam and your "like" of writing. I'm with you there...I hate writing! I can't wait to be done with school so I can quit writing papers! Your attitude of it doesn't matter is good, but I doubt you believe that, by your post. Don't fret about it until you have a reason to fret, a failure notice. Just remember that you have time to find something else to replace the credit and really the exam only measures beginning college level writing, not a grad student level. Chin up, I'm sure you did better than you think! Fingers crossed for you!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
You probably passed, but if you didn't there are many options. I failed by one point and took english 1 by straighterline and my local cc let me take an exam to test out of english 2 (which I passed). Just take it a day at a time and wait for the results. It only took me three weeks to pass english 1 with straighterline. It may be a good option if things didn't go well today.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
Latebloomer, I took the English Comp CLEP last month. I was a wreck! I hated not knowing my score. As far as I know, it's the only test where you don't know your score immediately. I kept thinking I could have done "this" different or did I do "this"? One day, I went into the testing center for a CLEP form and ran into the woman who inputs the testing scores on student's transcripts. We had a short conversation before she told me to come to her office. Once there, she told me that my score had not yet arrived and picked up a folder of transcripts and one fell out. Wouldn't you know it, but that transcript was mine and I passed! I know how you feel and you'll be fine! It's not easy to wait so just go on and study another subject. Good luck and best wishes!!!!!!!!
I was stressed about the essay part too, because I never really had to write many essays in high school English. (yes, I'm serious)

I studied the 5x5 formats and forced myself to write essays beforehand. I probably wrote 5-6 essays like that. I also posted one online on an essay feedback forum. It wasn't very helpful, but it did help a little.

The biggest help I had was reading this: SAT: Improve SAT Score with SparkNotes: Beat the Essay

It discusses the "Fast Food Essay", i.e. it's only 5 paragraphs, so you can't go into detail, and you can't quibble. Pick a side, pick 2-3 points, and beat the reader over the head with it. Manipulate their emotions shamelessly and be a total demagogue about it.

Learning to discipline myself to write like that quickly made a huge difference in my confidence walking in.

I'm only saying all this in case it helps someone else. Hope you do well. I was nervous as all heck waiting for my scores too. I thought I'd barely passed at best. Got a 69. Rolleyes
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Marianne202: Thanks. Treading water -and going under once or twice - was exactly how I felt. I've never had to look at the clock, and this time it was my enemy. You're right, worrying in advance is wasted effort. I'll take a deep breath, relax, and try to quash my ruminating instincts. (Moo!)

Frankiebleys: I only hope I will be able to get through Straighterline as quickly as you've done. If I need to do it, my dislike (understatement of the year) of writing could easily cause me to procrastinate like crazy.

Humenber: I was "shoulden" ALL over myself as soon as the anxiety level declined enough to let my brain go in gear. That was hours after the test. Really good ideas came to mind. Oh, I wish I was testing at the school I intend to attend. It would be lovely to learn in such a random way that I had passed. As it is, I'm probably going to stare at the envelope from CLEP for weeks before I have the nerve to open it. Zanax anyone? (Is that the don't-worry-be-happy drug?)

Dcan: YES, that is exactly what I should have done. Do you hear that future Eng. Comp. CLEPpers? If you're afraid of writing, follow dcan's advice. It has to be just like any other skill or muscle. Use it and it will grow. (I'm sure that there is a BIG double-entendr there, but I'm not meaning it that way. Get your mind out of the gutter you forum readers.)

To everyone who responds or simply reads this. Thank you. It's comforting to communicate with others about this situation, and to know that they understand. Even if it's a "don't worry" message, it means more than the same thing said by family and friends because I know that you all have gone through this, too. I'm a ruminator, so I'll chew on this for a while, but not as frequently or for as long because of your help. Well, I'm on to studying Marketing, Personal Finance, and Business Math. Not sure if COSC will even credit me with the last two, but I don't care. I want a test or two that I think I can nail without a sweat! Confusedeeya:
LaterBloomer Wrote:Today I took my CLEP English Comp. exam. I'm a basket case. Did I pass? I don't even have a clue.
Well, if you're sure you've passed the Q&A part, as long as you write decently and stick to the 5x5 format you'll usually pass. If for some reason it comes back with a fail on the essay and you're sure you didn't mess up the format, you can pay $40 more to have it re-assessed. In every case I've heard they pass the second time. Either way I doubt you'll have an issue.

I'm still debating whether to take the CLEP or take Straighterline English Comp I & II. I picked up the book, but their grading is so hit & miss, part of me thinks I'd be better off just testing through it (since I'm pretty sure I'd pass.) My larger quandry is that its been 25 years since I had to write an essay, and while I remember the major points, I plan to be doing a lot of essay writing in the near future as I complete my degree and move on to post-grad, so I want to be sure I really master my writing. Smile

Anyway, congrats on finishing the test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your PASS result!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The waiting is just plain painful. I'm sure you will do well.

From one overly verbose writer to another. hilarious
You know how folks say bad things come in threes? We had an earthquake the other day, and a hurricane hits us tomorrow. What came in today's mail? My exam results, of course. Unlike wine, bad news does not get better with age, so I opened it. I'll have to prepare for locusts or some other catastophe 'cause I PASSED!!!! They really must take in to account that you're given a limited time to write because I got a 60. That shocked the heck out of me because I didn't think my essays were very good. I'm so very glad that that's behind me. Okay folks, finish your drinks, get your coats, and drive carefully. The pity party's over - until the next hard exam, of course. Wink Thanks for all of your patience with my juvenile angst.
LaterBloomer Wrote:You know how folks say bad things come in threes? We had an earthquake the other day, and a hurricane hits us tomorrow. What came in today's mail? My exam results, of course. Unlike wine, bad news does not get better with age, so I opened it. I'll have to prepare for locusts or some other catastophe 'cause I PASSED!!!! They really must take in to account that you're given a limited time to write because I got a 60. That shocked the heck out of me because I didn't think my essays were very good. I'm so very glad that that's behind me. Okay folks, finish your drinks, get your coats, and drive carefully. The pity party's over - until the next hard exam, of course. Wink Thanks for all of your patience with my juvenile angst.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You are too hard on yourself! I've seen you post and don't think you're verbose or unorganized at all... evidently neither does CLEP Wink

Great Job!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduation Party... grauwulf 7 1,502 02-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Last Post: grauwulf