Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Places to get college credit WITHOUT enrolling in the school.
$66 per credit hour
$25 book rental fee
$6 postage fee per credit hour
$7 course material

For 3 credit hour course

$198 per course
$25 book rental fee
$18 postage fee
$7 course material

What is even better than the price is that there are UPPER LEVEL courses as well that can be taken, there is alot more info but here is the pdf regarding most of it Arkansas State University Center for Regional Programs

Oh Yeh!!!....I was just approved by Excelsior for their UPPER level psych courses...
i need one that does not require a Procter
Are there any colleges that have graduate courses?
SimonTam Wrote:Hi all,

I've seen a couple of people ask what to do if they have to take a college course that is not offered in a test or by the school in which they are enrolled. In most instances, you would probably have to go to a local school and enroll as a transient student. However, there are schools that offer web-based and correspondence courses for open enrollment for college credit. Some of these don't even require the student to go through the school's admission process. Just sign up for the class and pay tuition and books. Also, these correspondence courses are many times charged as IN-STATE tuition even if you don't live in the same state as the school. Many of these schools are the state-funded colleges and Universities. These aren't degree mills presenting watered-down classes. Anyway, I present this list to the board as general information for the members.

Adams State College
Idaho Electronic Campus
Indiana University
Mississippi State
Iowa Learns
Oklahoma State
Texas State
Texas Tech
University of Alaska
University of Arkansas
University of Florida
University of North Dakota
University of South Carolina
Louisiana State University
University of Nevada, Reno
Portland State University
University of Mississippi
University of Kentucky
University of Oklahoma
University of Tennessee

The following school is expensive but offers ONLINE degrees and you can enroll in classes without enrolling in the school.
Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)

A fantastic list. I'm going to add some additional schools that others may wish to consider. All of these offer reasonable tuition costs for college courses.

UCLA Extension - Lifelong Learning UCLA Extension offers courses on-site or online each quarter. With very few exceptions, proctored exams are generally not required for online courses. A broad range of subjects is available.

Ohio University Courses are offered by correspondence, via the internet, or by credit-by-exam. Most courses require one or more proctored exams, and of course credit-by-exam requires one proctored exam. A wide variety of subjects is available.

Western Washington University Courses are offered by correspondence and online. Many courses do not require proctored exams, but many do. Pretty much just arts and sciences courses are available.

University System of Georgia Independent and Distance Learning Courses are offered by correspondence. All or nearly all of the courses require proctored exams.

I'm hoping that others on the forum will add courses they've found which may be of interest; perhaps we can get a decent database. Testing out of credits is great, of course, but some of us need or want to take courses that may not be available through testing.
norema Wrote:Are there any colleges that have graduate courses?

Yes. Some schools do offer graduate-level courses for non-degree seeking students that are available through distance education. What particular field(s) of study are you seeking?
The course area I would really like is at least three graduate courses in psychology and one in management. I could take three other graduate classes in something else within the A&S area. I actually just need something in arts & sciences that could also fulfill a depth. I've taken general psych already and prefer to take three other graduate courses in it. I also need one more management area course for the depth and would like to take it in a graduate course.
very nice list
DSST Environment & Race to Save Humanity *  51/80 Clep CIS  63/80
College Math  66/80 * DSST Business Law II  -  No Pass
Principles of Mgmt  61/80 * A/I Lit  51/80 retest 61/80
Social Sciences and History -  66/80  -  A * Freshman Composition  -  60/80
Intro to Computers  426 -Current System - p/f = pass * Intro to Modern Middle East Studies -  61/80
Human Cultural Geography  -  61/80 * US History I  - A   -61/80
US History II - A  68/80 * Civil War  -  A   57/80
Intro to World Religions  - A  68/80 * Intro to Bus Law -  64/80    A
Public Speaking 55/80  A * MIS 429/500 * Statistics 459/500 * MacroEconomics  57/80
MicroEconomics   53/80 (ran out no money in meter) * Criminal Justice 418/500
English Comp with Essay 58/80 * Personal Finance 406/500 (Ran thru IC once & test once... 40 minutes/98 questions.. close call) 
Principle of Supervision -  436/500 * Clep American Government 67/80  
FEMA's Completed - 49 (sorry i'm addicted to them).

BA - Criminal Justice - Central State University
AAS - Computer Science - TESU
AAS - BOG - Info Tech - Pierpont
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member
norema Wrote:$66 per credit hour
$25 book rental fee
$6 postage fee per credit hour
$7 course material

For 3 credit hour course

$198 per course
$25 book rental fee
$18 postage fee
$7 course material

What is even better than the price is that there are UPPER LEVEL courses as well that can be taken, there is alot more info but here is the pdf regarding most of it Arkansas State University Center for Regional Programs

Oh Yeh!!!....I was just approved by Excelsior for their UPPER level psych courses...

Since this was relisted... I just thought I'd provide an updated link... http://www2.astate.edu/dotAsset/220907.pdf
This is a great resource! I found a few gems I am really looking forward to.
FYI - I added some of these to the DF Wiki. I left off those that are on quarter instead of semester hour systems.

Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 699 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,540 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,764 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,216 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,577 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,960 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 252 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 524 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 413 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 748 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM