Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Places to park electronics + computer PLA credits (BOG AAS + TESU AAS)
(09-28-2022, 05:58 PM)xicovu Wrote: I've been eyeing the Pierpoint AAS for a very, very long time  Smile people on here seem to dissuade me from that one for some reason.   

I dunno why but it seems like RA credit aside it's a pretty straight forward place to stick credit and they seem to be easy going on the PLA credit.

What do you mean about "sticking credit"? The only transcript that matters for transfer purposes is the one from the school that GRANTS the PLA credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Isn't most (all?) PLA credit non-transferable? I.E., you'd have to go through the PLA process for each undergrad school you want a degree from. I would suspect that PLA credit will (usually) be transcripted under the "non-transferable credit" section.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(09-29-2022, 03:14 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Isn't most (all?) PLA credit non-transferable? I.E., you'd have to go through the PLA process for each undergrad school you want a degree from. I would suspect that PLA credit will (usually) be transcripted under the "non-transferable credit" section.

There's no "non-transferable credit" section on my TESU transcript. That's not to say some schools out there might refuse to take PLA, just as some refuse to take TECEPs or challenge exams. Heck, plenty of schools virtually refuse to accept any transfer credit*, that's one of the things that makes the schools we tout most often unique.

*.You send them your old CC transcipt with 60 credits on it and "somehow" only 10 of them count towards your degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-29-2022, 03:06 AM)davewill Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 05:58 PM)xicovu Wrote: I've been eyeing the Pierpoint AAS for a very, very long time  Smile people on here seem to dissuade me from that one for some reason.   

I dunno why but it seems like RA credit aside it's a pretty straight forward place to stick credit and they seem to be easy going on the PLA credit.

What do you mean about "sticking credit"? The only transcript that matters for transfer purposes is the one from the school that GRANTS the PLA credit.

The original thought process of this post was to get two AAS degree with a total of 60-80 credits that would approximate an Electronics Engineering Technology BS. If enough transfer credits for UL and LL Electronics/Computer Engineering credits can transfer over to a TESU EET degree then that would be the end goal, but failing that stick them somewhere where they could potentially be used for credit. Some like Purdue, UNT, UHPI (I might be screwing those up) don't have an electronics electives, but my understanding of at least Purdue Global is they'll take credits from anywhere. Transfer 60-90 of the EE/CE electives in because they don't offer those courses, then take some general ed courses to meet the residency requirements.

My (sounds like incorrect) is the only way I could dump all those credits into something like a BS Professional Studies, Technical Studies, or General studies somwhere like Purdue Global or UHPI would be to stick them in an associates degree to lock them in. Neither of those schools has electronics electives so that'd be the only way to bring them in.

Any degree I get would either BE an electronics/computer engineering degree or if that ends in too much of a headache approximate one through a BS PS or TS.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
2 associate degrees don't equal a bachelor's degree.
@xicovu, basically, you may want to keep your options open with the Coursera and EDX offerings...
I think you're referring to this Coursera offering for $20K: https://www.coursera.org/degrees/msee-boulder/academics

You don't need a specific Bachelors degree to get into the Masters offering, I would go the BOG AAS> Bachelors> Masters
In addition to my ECPI recommendation, Here's the options for EDX, there are two: https://www.edx.org/masters/engineering

Because you have tuition assistance of $10K/year, you can get ANY bachelors, get the AAS quickly and go for ANY degree that fits your Bachelors options, it really won't matter, it's just used for checking the box that isn't even required.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • xicovu
(09-29-2022, 02:10 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @xicovu, basically, you may want to keep your options open with the Coursera and EDX offerings...
I think you're referring to this Coursera offering for $20K: https://www.coursera.org/degrees/msee-boulder/academics

You don't need a specific Bachelors degree to get into the Masters offering, I would go the BOG AAS> Bachelors> Masters
In addition to my ECPI recommendation, Here's the options for EDX, there are two: https://www.edx.org/masters/engineering

Because you have tuition assistance of $10K/year, you can get ANY bachelors, get the AAS quickly and go for ANY degree that fits your Bachelors options, it really won't matter, it's just used for checking the box that isn't even required.

ECPI is another one of my top lists, I just don't think they are transfer friendly as the U of Arkansas Grantham is.

Master's would be an open ended question, but yes Colorado's MSEE is probably the most likely.

I think you are right, it's going to be a matter of keeping the options open. 

Whatever B.S. degree it is, it will approximate an EET or CEET in credits transfered.

Thanks BJ! Every time I've popped in here you've been very helpful.
(09-29-2022, 01:24 PM)ss20ts Wrote: 2 associate degrees don't equal a bachelor's degree.

I'm sure you've made a lot of degree plans and know what transfers where like the back of your hand, but outside of maybe BJ, ya'll are the ants from Bug's life. Zero ability for exception handling.

1. First, let's start with the Master's. There is one requirement and one requirement only. No GRE, no grades, no prior academic work. All you must do is succesfully complete one of the Engineering specialization on Coursera with 80% and you will be allowed into the program. If you have an Electronics Engineering degree's worth of knowledge they do not care where it came from.

2.  The work that will be used for the attempts at PLA is not optional. Whether I get 10 credits or 50 is also not relevant other than the let down. The certifcation and coursework I must do are pretty close to what an AS Electronics Engineering degree is.

Say I anticipate 40 PLA credits in Electronics/Electrical but only get 20.

BOG AAS is 12 RA credits + mix of ACE/NCCRS/Sophia or whatever the hell they take. 20 GE + 20 Electronics credit + Saylor Python, C++, Software Engineering, Networking rounds that out. +10 from TEEX.

AAS BOG is met. The ACE and some OD will go to TESU.

Having to submit PLA twice is actually the point. 

Same thing, I've got a stack of PLA portofilios from BOG. TESU gives me 20 as well, but it is a different 20 and includes 8 UL credit.

ACE/OD.com/Sophia etc cover all or most the AAS. Electronics and ACE electives pad out as much as possible. Then, the electives are Calculus 1,2 Physics, Chemistry.

Now I've got an AAS Applied Electronics worth of credit.

Say I'm sitting on 100 credit hours worth of credits between the two because of the overlap. Whether or not I put them some where ("park") doesn't change change that I have them, only that I've managed to take a huge pool of credits and find enough places to put ACE + NCCRS + PLA + RA

With the lot say I can only find somewhere to park 90 at most, guess what? That's how much I have to do residency anyways.

Grantham will take 90 credits transfer, 30 of which can be PLA. 

Stick the PLA where the PLA will go, add the Computer Tech credit (which is more or less life experience credit at this point.

30 credit requirement is all met with UL engineering credit.

Say it isn't worthwhile because I don't get enough credit, or it is looking like I'll be very very short. Purdue University global is very generous with their BS Professional Studies program, or Coursera's University of Norther Texas.

No matter how many PLA credit's I get, it's what I'm doing anyways. I need somewhere to park credit to get an inventory of what I can get. Two associate's gives 80 electives to take inventory unless of what I can PLA for I am misunderstanding that you can use UL in an associates degree.

Engineering degree look like it's going to be a bust? Dump as much of it into a Bachelor's degree as possible and cash out on as much credit as I can get. 

Or, I can not do PLA and start from zero in two years? 

This is an edge case, not your average cookie cutter. My goal is to maximize subject matter not speed of getting the degree. if all of this work net's me a AAS only, that is more worthwhile than one of these cookie degrees that forced me to get business electives or non-Computer Science/Engineering electives.

I feel like this shouldn't be that complicated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 930 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 197 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,082 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 838 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,460 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,161 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,827 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 892 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 978 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 670 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77