Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan for Excelsior BS Liberal Arts
(04-07-2022, 12:05 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board!  We're missing a few pieces of info within your thread... You may want to provide us more details in regards to your budget, commitments, dedicated time you have to complete the degree, or when you would like to target a finish date.  Have you looked at the other Big 3, PUG, UMPI, WGU, or more?

Good luck, have fun, take your time to read through the forum/wiki pages. There's plenty of info... If you need further assistance... Please provide more details for your current situation by answering the info I just mentioned.  Further to that, you may want to inform us what subjects interest you, such as Psychology or more.

Last but not least, you may want to also search for your Top 3 Law schools in the state and out of state, so a total of 6 choices and list them here.  You also want to note each admissions requirement so you will know what the minimum requirements are for all of them, you can then try to plan your Bachelors around those requirements.  Create a spreadsheet and post that here along with your reply...

Why would he do all of this when he has EC as a good option, and UMPI as an alternative also good option?  And we know that he wants to go to an in-state law school because the prices are great there?

OP, I would just figure out what the requirements are of the law schools you want to go to and then go from there.  You might even want to call each one to see what they are looking for so that you can check those boxes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • carrythenothing, ss20ts
(04-07-2022, 12:05 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Last but not least, you may want to also search for your Top 3 Law schools in the state and out of state, so a total of 6 choices and list them here.  You also want to note each admissions requirement so you will know what the minimum requirements are for all of them, you can then try to plan your Bachelors around those requirements.  Create a spreadsheet and post that here along with your reply...

Out of state law schools? Why? That would require the OP to relocate. That's not an option for most people. Top 3 law schools in state? There's 1 law school in Montana. There are 237 nationwide so many states don't have multiple options for law school. 

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/lsat/top-la...ontana?v=2
ss20ts Wrote:Out of state law schools? Why? That would require the OP to relocate. That's not an option for most people. Top 3 law schools in state? There's 1 law school in Montana. There are 237 nationwide so many states don't have multiple options for law school. 

https://testmaxprep.com/blog/lsat/top-la...ontana?v=2

Thanks for letting us know Montana only has 1 law school, I don't think most members of the board including senior members like me would have guessed. That's more the reason to "ask" questions to the OP, original poster knows their own situation more than anyone, it's either apply to that 1 and go for a backup plan or continue to apply to out of state schools and see which ones may accept them. I don't think they should give up on Law even though entry isn't a given to that 1 school... for example, if there are 80 seats, and 360 applicants, you have 1/4th of a chance to get it.

dfrecore Wrote:Why would he do all of this when he has EC as a good option, and UMPI as an alternative also good option?  And we know that he wants to go to an in-state law school because the prices are great there?

OP, I would just figure out what the requirements are of the law schools you want to go to and then go from there.  You might even want to call each one to see what they are looking for so that you can check those boxes.

Basically - To answer your question, why? Simple, it's because people change their choices at different times (even during the day or week, months...). EC, UMPI, etc are great examples, but we don't know the OP's situation. Many posts just this last few days are in regards to getting new degrees and they've changed their mind because others have mentioned alternatives OR they've found out the next day, a different university is part of their tuition assistance program. Life changes, things change with their decisions every day due to circumstances in their life... who knows what they decide on, give more options is what I say.

Secondly, we both have been enlightened by ss20ts, Montana only has 1 law school it seems, if they don't apply to another elsewhere, are you wanting to tell the OP not to go for their dream degree? You second sentence is a summary of my third sentence, we advise the same thing. I don't see any issues with my recommendation as it's exactly what you summarized. To provide more details by getting more info is what I am trying to do. OP should answer these questions of yours... People come on board to ask questions when they are confused, I just get more details to steer them into the right path.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I was reading through the OP's updated post here where I linked to this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-SDC-Final-Exam
I just re-read this thread and apparently, I am not the only person mentioning other institutions are options other than EU, UMPI.
I had a question that didn't seem to be answered: Are we just asking the OP to apply to that 1 Montana institution and that's it?!

(11-17-2022, 04:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was reading through the OP's updated post here where I linked to this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-SDC-Final-Exam
I just re-read this thread and apparently, I am not the only person mentioning other institutions are options other than EU, UMPI.
I had a question that didn't seem to be answered: Are we just asking the OP to apply to that 1 Montana institution and that's it?!

If someone has a specific institution they want to go to, then we should help them accomplish that goal.  The in-state tuition for their state is $17k/yr - meaning $51k total.  That's a good price.  The average price is double that.

So yes, if the OP says they want to stay in-state and go to law school there, they should go for it.  Why try to talk them out of it?
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-17-2022, 04:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 04:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I was reading through the OP's updated post here where I linked to this post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-SDC-Final-Exam

If someone has a specific institution they want to go to, then we should help them accomplish that goal.  The in-state tuition for their state is $17k/yr - meaning $51k total.  That's a good price.  The average price is double that.

So yes, if the OP says they want to stay in-state and go to law school there, they should go for it.  Why try to talk them out of it?

Wait, who's trying to talk them out of anything, you're trying to put words into my posts that aren't even there? My suggestions were to apply to more than 1 school not just that one school. As we won't know for sure if they get in or no. So, my question is, are we only asking the OP to apply only to that school? It seems more like you're trying to talk OP out of applying to other schools. There's a 1/4th chance of making it to that school, maybe more or less...

I was curious why limit to one school and not see if the state has options for other schools that can work out of state if they pass X exams and X requirements. That's all I was asking about, not telling people to take just their chances on that particular institution and have a backup plan. By going your method of 1 school only, that closes many doors. Maybe I am confused what you're recommending there...

(04-07-2022, 12:05 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board!  We're missing a few pieces of info within your thread... You may want to provide us more details in regards to your budget, commitments, dedicated time you have to complete the degree, or when you would like to target a finish date.  Have you looked at the other Big 3, PUG, UMPI, WGU, or more?

Good luck, have fun, take your time to read through the forum/wiki pages. There's plenty of info... If you need further assistance... Please provide more details for your current situation by answering the info I just mentioned.  Further to that, you may want to inform us what subjects interest you, such as Psychology or more.

Last but not least, you may want to also search for your Top 3 Law schools in the state and out of state, so a total of 6 choices and list them here.  You also want to note each admissions requirement so you will know what the minimum requirements are for all of them, you can then try to plan your Bachelors around those requirements.  Create a spreadsheet and post that here along with your reply...

They have a 60% acceptance rate.  OP would be much better off getting highest possible grades, and studying the LSAT to get the highest possible score.  It would be worth a lot of money to do that rather than spend more on a different law school.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 217 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 525 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 355 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,071 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 212 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 484 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 534 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 258 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 455 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy