Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning Bachelor Degree (through 1 of the Big 3)
(11-11-2019, 12:37 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:26 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:10 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: The challenge. I don't know how many people will have 90 graded credits. That's a lot of graded credits when most people on this message board will have alternative credits from (SDC, SL, Sophia, Teex, etc). Even if someone has a graduate credit (graded), what's the conversion ratio, 1/1 or 2/1 or 3/1 into undergrad credit?
What do you mean "conversion ratio"?

Does the school award more credits when its graduate credits compared to undergrad credits?
Example. 3 graduate credits are accepted at the University as 5 undergrad credits?
Basically, I am trying to understand how someone can transfer in 90 graded credits.
I'm not aware of any schools that count graduate credits as being worth more than undergraduate credits
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-11-2019, 07:38 AM)SkaroFamily Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For those not aware of Athabasca University in Canada, they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS credits.  All the courses an applicant takes must be from an accredited community college, 4 year college, or university.  

The only or main "utility" for this is to allow someone to "teach" in Alberta or abroad.  The majority of people going for this degree will NOT be continuing onto graduate school as it's not a 4 year degree, it's a 3 year 90 credit degree in "General Studies".

Further to this, the only program that does NOT require residency is the BGS mentioned above, it's a 3 year Bachelors of General Studies (no major, two concentrations/designations to choose from - Applied Studies or Arts & Sciences).  

Another alternative in Canada, with 15 residency credits, TRU's distance/open learning options.  All of their online distance 4 year Bachelors Degree require just that 15 credit residency requirement - there is no option for waivers and they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS.
I have roughly 130 credits all from 2 year tech schools. I just want a Bachelor degree as fast & easy as I can get it. (I have a few job options that require just a Bachelors degree, doesn’t matter in what) What are my options? 
Thanks!

Since it sounds like you're looking for a check box bachelor degree - then you can try Athabasca University (overall the investment cost of applying/transcript evaluation is small) - personally, this is what I would do for speed. Even if it didn't work out the $ loss would be small- and if you were still just short a few UL courses, there are low cost traditional courses available that could still keep your total cost under the Big3 minimums. 

Your other option is one of the Big3 - since it is unlikely that your 2 year courses will come in as UL (but is possible some may) I would suggest TESU first (as they require less UL, but cost more), and then COSC - both for Liberal Studies degrees.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(11-11-2019, 07:38 AM)SkaroFamily Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For those not aware of Athabasca University in Canada, they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS credits.  All the courses an applicant takes must be from an accredited community college, 4 year college, or university.  

The only or main "utility" for this is to allow someone to "teach" in Alberta or abroad.  The majority of people going for this degree will NOT be continuing onto graduate school as it's not a 4 year degree, it's a 3 year 90 credit degree in "General Studies".

Further to this, the only program that does NOT require residency is the BGS mentioned above, it's a 3 year Bachelors of General Studies (no major, two concentrations/designations to choose from - Applied Studies or Arts & Sciences).  

Another alternative in Canada, with 15 residency credits, TRU's distance/open learning options.  All of their online distance 4 year Bachelors Degree require just that 15 credit residency requirement - there is no option for waivers and they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS.
I have roughly 130 credits all from 2 year tech schools. I just want a Bachelor degree as fast & easy as I can get it. (I have a few job options that require just a Bachelors degree, doesn’t matter in what) What are my options? 
Thanks!

I would recommend you to do get the Athabasca University degree if there are no additional costs for courses, in other words, just a set of graduation/application/evaluation fees. This would be your first step to show you have a Bachelors of General Studies from Canada (even though you're in the US).

Then, if you have tuition assistance from work, I would recommend you to actually take two courses (cornerstone/capstone) at COSC to finish your degree of choice. Be it a BSBA (more utility as it's a Business Admin degree), or an actual 4 year degree, like a BA Sociology, Psychology or whatever may fit your future position better or may require.

If COSC is not your first choice & you do get tuition assistance and want to go into Business, IT, Nursing, Teaching and have about 6-12 months of free time, then choose WGU for their competency based degree as you can transfer up to 90 credits into their program.

Basically you should get the degree that will get you the promotion first. On your resume, you can indicate you're going for another degree - in progress if you wanted. I would do that if I was in your shoes...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-11-2019, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend you to do get the Athabasca University degree if there are no additional costs for courses, in other words, just a set of graduation/application/evaluation fees.   This would be your first step to show you have a Bachelors of General Studies from Canada (even though you're in the US).  

@SkaroFamily Just to be clear the Bachelors of General Studies from Athabasca University is a valid degree from a Canadian based US RA school. The only drawback on it (other than being General Studies - similar to Liberal Arts) is that it is possible that you could have issues with some US master degree programs later on (with it not being a 3 yr vs 4yr degree); however - that may be mitigated as a result of you having more than 120 traditional undergraduate credits. I know your current objective is to get a legitimate bachelor degree as quickly as you can right now, but you should be aware of the potential issues should pursuing a master degree be part of your long term plans.
Amberton University

(11-11-2019, 02:48 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend you to do get the Athabasca University degree if there are no additional costs for courses, in other words, just a set of graduation/application/evaluation fees.   This would be your first step to show you have a Bachelors of General Studies from Canada (even though you're in the US).  

@SkaroFamily Just to be clear the Bachelors of General Studies from Athabasca University is a valid degree from a Canadian based US RA school. The only drawback on it (other than being General Studies - similar to Liberal Arts) is that it is possible that you could have issues with some US master degree programs later on (with it not being a 3 yr vs 4yr degree); however - that may be mitigated as a result of you having more than 120 traditional undergraduate credits. I know your current objective is to get a legitimate bachelor degree as quickly as you can right now, but you should be aware of the potential issues should pursuing a master degree be part of your long term plans.
Thank you! At this point I have no plans for a Masters. The position I would like to take in the far future would require a Bachelors as of right now. I do qualify for Financial Aid. So going to the local University is an option but they only accepted 81 credits (This would be a Bachelor of Elective Studies) I'm really just a small town girl that would like to get my Bachelors & might not ever have a position that requires it. 

I'm homeschooling my kiddos and they are taking the Study.com, CLEP, DSST, and then PSEO (11th & 12th grade) 

I talked to Thomas Edison and they will only take 80 of my Credits.

I'm waiting to hear back from COSC but I'm sure it will be close to that 80 like Thomas Edison

I will see what Athabasca says about needing any extra classes and if they will graduate me Smile

I'm thankful for all the comments!  If you think of anything else please send my way......

I will let everyone know when I hear back from Athabasca.
The option with AU is very interesting for me. I have 160 graded credits from a German University. It has been evaluated by a credential evaluation agency. Could I get the 3 year bachelor degree in general studies from AU. Then transfer that degree to TESU as source 1 and transfer some other credits from my 160 credits as source 2 and then just get a 4 year bachelor with just doing the capstone?
(11-11-2019, 06:49 PM)Bekai88 Wrote: The option with AU is very interesting for me. I have 160 graded credits from a German University. It has been evaluated by a credential evaluation agency. Could I get the 3 year bachelor degree in general studies from AU. Then transfer that degree to TESU as source 1 and transfer some other credits from my 160 credits as source 2 and then just get a 4 year bachelor with just doing the capstone?

It doesn't work that way (for any of the Big3); what you're talking about is called credit laundering.  TESU doesn't take a degree as a block transfer, they take credits individually and from their original source only.
Amberton University

(11-12-2019, 09:56 AM)allvia Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:49 PM)Bekai88 Wrote: The option with AU is very interesting for me. I have 160 graded credits from a German University. It has been evaluated by a credential evaluation agency. Could I get the 3 year bachelor degree in general studies from AU. Then transfer that degree to TESU as source 1 and transfer some other credits from my 160 credits as source 2 and then just get a 4 year bachelor with just doing the capstone?

It doesn't work that way (for any of the Big3); what you're talking about is called credit laundering.  TESU doesn't take a degree as a block transfer, they take credits individually and from their original source only.
Thank you for clarifying. I thought so. Still good to know that I can get the bachelor degree now from AU without any additional work!
(11-12-2019, 10:16 AM)Bekai88 Wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. I thought so. Still good to know that I can get the bachelor degree now from AU without any additional work!

Only if they evaluate your existing credits as meeting their requirements.  It is not as simple as having 90 traditionally graded credits (it's not an automatic degree based on # of credits earned); which is why you would need to apply and have your transcripts evaluated by them.
Amberton University

(11-12-2019, 12:17 PM)allvia Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 10:16 AM)Bekai88 Wrote:

Only if they evaluate your existing credits as meeting their requirements.  It is not as simple as having 90 traditionally graded credits (it's not an automatic degree based on # of credits earned); which is why you would need to apply and have your transcripts evaluated by them.
I have 160 credits. Mostly Upper Level and Graduate Level. Of course I would have to see what they accept but are they very picky with that? All my credits are from an accredited university in Germany. 

AU let’s me transfer credits and doesn’t have a residency requirement for the 3 year program. From what I have read, I need to fulfill the requirement of upper level classes, correct?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,455 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 771 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,179 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,701 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 376 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader