Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning to sign up for straighterline's macroecon. Should I buy the book?
I really don't want to buy the book. Straighterline's website "strongly recommends" that I do, but I'm uncertain how much it really matters. That's just more money I don't have and more time I have to wait to start. From my experience in high school, text books usually gather dust. My wife confirms this is often the case at UCCS as well.

Also, how long did it take you guys? It seems like getting the $400 class is usually a waste. I'm not always super speedy, I just wanted some input.

Finally, the econ classes are both ACE approved, right? I cannot find straighterline on the ACE website at all.

Thanks so much in advance!
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
Hi,

Yes, you need the book. Many of the questions refer to information taken directly from the book. You can get a cheap copy on amazon for $5 or so(they use 17ed ISBN 0073273082 - not the new one). If you are going through ACE you only need 70% to pass. If you set up a schedule you will finish fast. Your advisor submits the course to ACE for transcribing, different than ALEKS where we do it ourselves.

I am very happy I suffered through the SL coursework. I used the monthly rate, it took me 5wks for macro and 7wks for micro but I was also taking two courses at TESC and studying/taking DSSTs. I guess I avg'd about 4 chaps per week (plus I wanted A/B grades through FHSU). I'm going back in the next few months for the accounting courses. Not needed to graduate but want the foundation for business purposes and will have them transcribed to ACE so will only need 70% to pass. I prefer the online, open book exams over local community college; especially in subjects I find boring.Smile

Good luck!

rickyjo Wrote:I really don't want to buy the book. Straighterline's website "strongly recommends" that I do, but I'm uncertain how much it really matters. That's just more money I don't have and more time I have to wait to start. From my experience in high school, text books usually gather dust. My wife confirms this is often the case at UCCS as well.

Also, how long did it take you guys? It seems like getting the $400 class is usually a waste. I'm not always super speedy, I just wanted some input.

Finally, the econ classes are both ACE approved, right? I cannot find straighterline on the ACE website at all.

Thanks so much in advance!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Just take a look on Amazon and find them used. I paid under $10 a piece for mine. You really do need the books to finish the courses.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Do you think the edition will matter?
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
I bought the ones that was listed on Straighterline. Same ISBN #.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I found the 4th edition for 99 cents. thats why I ask.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
Quote:I found the 4th edition for 99 cents. thats why I ask

Buy the right edition 17E used for the additional $10. Don't think twice about it.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
I loathe and despise textbook companies. 17 editions? Is that one every semester?

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:I loathe and despise textbook companies. 17 editions? Is that one every semester?

You'll need the book or be very good with google. I didn't buy the book but used other obscure resources that I won't disclose. I've said this in other threads but just know that Straighterline didn't build their program from scratch and many other schools have used that same book and program for the same end results. Buy the book and use the website that Geezer has linked to in other threads and is probably listed in the book.
Geezer or JB, could you please post this link? I checked through Geezer's posts but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Penn Foster Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 811 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 607 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,053 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 864 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,615 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,294 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Planning to join in psychology field haohalberd 2 1,715 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Last Post: StoicJ
  free online (pdf) Discrete Math book bluebooger 7 5,554 01-23-2021, 02:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,267 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Good book for English componsition 1 / 2? SweetsugarNL 11 1,296 08-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7