Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Help With Plan/Path
Hello all,

I happened upon this forum somehow and I'm immensely grateful. The information provided here can help me tremendously with finally fulfilling my dream of becoming a college graduate. Now is the perfect time for me to get started on my journey as I have a job that's very lax and affords me sufficient down time to be able to go to college.

At the expense of coming off a bit uninformed, some of the info and terminology within this forum is foreign to me. I'm hoping that someone here would be willing to help break down some info and answer some questions to help me get started. 

I'm interested in the BA in Communications at TESU. I would like to transfer as many credits in as I can and I want to get started today! I'm familiar with Straighterline and have been reading up on the ACE credit and CLEP testing, however I'm not as knowledgeable as to how that works. 

Should I apply at TESU first? How do I find out which courses to take that will transfer in? Should I do Sophia.org courses? (I've read it's free right now) or Straighterline? Or CLEP? I looked at the Communications degree program on tesu.edu and it appears that the actual course names are not listed. Should I contact them to get the list? 

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. TIA
Look at your degree plan, see what you have left to complete. Fill in as many of those classes as you can using Sophia. Sophia is free right now.
Good idea also to start with end goals in mind. You interested in graduate school? Career change, etc.
(04-15-2020, 08:58 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: Look at your degree plan, see what you have left to complete. Fill in as many of those classes as you can using Sophia. Sophia is free right now.
Good idea also to start with end goals in mind. You interested in graduate school? Career change, etc.

Hello and thanks for your reply. I'm looking at tesu.edu and this is the information provided for the BA in Communications (see below). How can I determine which classes to take at Sophia based on this information? 

BA in Communications Credit Distribution
I. General Education Requirements 60

A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15
  • Written Communication (6)
  • Oral Communication (3)
  • Quantitative Literacy (3)
  • Information Literacy
    SOS-110: Critical Information Literacy (3)
[size=undefined]B. Civic and Global Learning 9[/size]
  • Diversity (3)
  • Ethics (3)
  • Civic Engagement (3)
[size=undefined]C. Knowledge of Human Cultures 12
[/size]

[size=undefined]D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World 4-7
[/size]

[size=undefined]E. General Education Electives 17-20
[/size]

[size=undefined]II. Area of Study: Communications 33
A. Required Courses 9[/size]
  • Communication Theory (3)
  • Mass Communications I (3)
  • Mass Communications II (3)
[size=undefined]B. Capstone 3[/size]
  • LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone (3)
[size=undefined]C. Communications Electives* 21[/size]
  • Broadcast and Cable Promotion
  • Broadcasting in America
  • Cinema Theory
  • Communications in the Digital Age
  • Communication Law
  • Communication Research
  • Debate
  • Film Styles and Genre
  • Interviewing
  • Journalism* *
  • Managerial Communications and Leadership Communications
  • Media in Communication
  • Motion Picture Productions
  • Non-Verbal Communications
  • Oral Interpretation of Literature
  • Public Relations
  • Public Speaking
  • Radio News
  • Radio Production
  • Radio-Television Policies, Laws and Regulations
  • Small Group Communication
  • Survey of Cable Communications
  • Technical Writing
  • Telecommunication Processes and Policy
  • Television News
  • Television Production
  • Theories of Persuasion
  • Video Communication Theory
  • Voice and Diction
  • Voice Production
[size=undefined]
D. Requirements
 [/size]

Courses transferred to Thomas Edison State University are equated to the following levels: 100, 200, 300 or 400. A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.
  • College Level Math is required.
[size=undefined]

III. Electives 27
[/size]

[size=undefined]Total Credits 120[/size]
(04-15-2020, 08:50 AM)crisakoma Wrote: Hello all,

I happened upon this forum somehow and I'm immensely grateful. The information provided here can help me tremendously with finally fulfilling my dream of becoming a college graduate. Now is the perfect time for me to get started on my journey as I have a job that's very lax and affords me sufficient down time to be able to go to college.

At the expense of coming off a bit uninformed, some of the info and terminology within this forum is foreign to me. I'm hoping that someone here would be willing to help break down some info and answer some questions to help me get started. 

I'm interested in the BA in Communications at TESU. I would like to transfer as many credits in as I can and I want to get started today! I'm familiar with Straighterline and have been reading up on the ACE credit and CLEP testing, however I'm not as knowledgeable as to how that works. 

Should I apply at TESU first? How do I find out which courses to take that will transfer in? Should I do Sophia.org courses? (I've read it's free right now) or Straighterline? Or CLEP? I looked at the Communications degree program on tesu.edu and it appears that the actual course names are not listed. Should I contact them to get the list? 

Do you have any college credits already?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-15-2020, 10:25 AM)allvia Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 08:50 AM)crisakoma Wrote: Hello all,

Do you have any college credits already?

Hi allvia thanks for responding. I have only 3 college credits.
Just an FYI - this degree is not able to be tested out of. You have to find the 3 required courses in the major, and they aren't easy to find.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I would just get all you can with Sophia.org right now, take everything if you're going to Excelsior, if not then skip the Foundations of courses. You need to decide on the degree and school you want to attend after you're done with the Sophia.org courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BACS Plan Verification mrobel 4 349 01-18-2024, 12:49 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,263 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA Religion plan now on wiki rachel83az 6 531 10-26-2023, 11:12 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Possible Degree Plan - BA English aperantosbias 10 674 09-16-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Bachelor to Masters Program Plan Cheap and Fast? Sargoththemino 9 868 09-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jch
Question my CS degree study plan: need help Felisa 33 2,329 09-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Question My current degree plan for BACS, any suggestions elcastor21 7 691 08-28-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  16 Credit Term Plan what do you think? mt_1994 6 721 03-20-2023, 01:51 PM
  Another degree plan gams007 3 510 03-18-2023, 09:57 PM