Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Gen Ed suggestions - cheap
Hey guys!!!

Following the advice of one of the Master Moderators here and posting my plan online for review. I'm an RN-BSN student, so ya'll cant help me with my nursing courses, but this forum has been very helpful in my other course requirements. So many threads and so many choices. I suck at making decisions!!!

But, I think I have made most of my decisions for the remaining General Ed TESU requirements. Just where to study and how to get the credits was driving me nuts. The stats req has me spooked.

Here is my plan for what credit I have left:
Oral Communication - SDC - Comm 120 
Ethical Leadership - TEEX - Cyber Ethics (Hopefully, conflicting info about that)
Statistics req - SL Bus Stats 
Have to take take Critical Information Literacy from TESU Confused

Undecided courses needed 
Civic Engagement - To put it mildly, I HATE all things History. So any suggestions that are not 100% memorizing dates and names?

Gen electives. Need 9 more. Was going with TEEX again. FREE credits!!!!! 

bjcheung77 indicated Death Investigation was fun for $75. Will look at the other freebies. Open for suggestions here as well

I do also need a quick TECEP as my enrollment year is coming up the end of this month and I need a quick class so I don't have to re-enroll. Any suggestions there?

Thanks everyone!!!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
With TESU you should be able to take the Institutes FREE course for the Ethics requirement  - https://www.theinstitutes.org/guide/onli...urses-free

What about OD? - doesn't get much cheaper than those offerings ($9 exam fee)- https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-courses/

I'd recommend SDC  Political Science 102: American Government.  You'll learn something relevant and gain new insight about things going on now (even though the basis is historical), and you're already doing one course with them for Oral Communication.

I took SL Business Statistics, so I'd say that is a good option you have listed.  SDC's statistics option(s) has been well reviewed as well. I believe CSMLearn works in meeting the TESU statistics requirement (and it's cheap, $39 I think) and very highly reviewed/recommended by many on this forum (especially those math averse) - This was not available when I needed statistics, but it is the route I'd likely take if I had to take it today.

EDIT: and If you haven't already taken it the Medical Terminology TECEP is only one credit, making it the lowest cost TECEP option.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-06-2020, 04:06 PM)allvia Wrote: With TESU you should be able to take the Institutes FREE course for the Ethics requirement  - https://www.theinstitutes.org/guide/onli...urses-free

What about OD? - doesn't get much cheaper than those offerings ($9 exam fee)- https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-courses/

I'd recommend SDC  Political Science 102: American Government.  You'll learn something relevant and gain new insight about things going on now (even though the basis is historical), and you're already doing one course with them for Oral Communication.

I took SL Business Statistics, so I'd say that is a good option you have listed.  SDC's statistics option(s) has been well reviewed as well. I believe CSMLearn works in meeting the TESU statistics requirement (and it's cheap, $39 I think) and very highly reviewed/recommended by many on this forum (especially those math averse) - This was not available when I needed statistics, but it is the route I'd likely take if I had to take it today.

EDIT: and If you haven't already taken it the Medical Terminology TECEP is only one credit, making it the lowest cost TECEP option.

Thanks for the advice! 

I took the Cyber Ethics course before, but took too long to complete it so have to retake it for credit. If is free and familiar so if it will count towards my Ethics req, should be a no brainer. Insurance seemed long and boring to me. lol

The OD courses and those videos were KILLING me. Takes sooooo long. I tried to do the Body sculpting course but quit cuz of all the forced videos and the questions were so vague.

Good idea for the American Government req. I hope the final is Open Book!!!

TESU said the CSM Learn would go towards the Math requirement which I also needed. i heard it could go either way. I haven't sent in the ACE transcript yet. So either I would have to take Math or Statistics.

I would ace the Med Terminology test with no studying so that is a sure thing. I guess I didn't want to pay for it, but to keep from reapplying, I can surely rock that test out!!

Thanks again for your reply!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
SL - Personal Finance 
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
AAS Nursing
(03-06-2020, 05:03 PM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 04:06 PM)allvia Wrote: With TESU you should be able to take the Institutes FREE course for the Ethics requirement  - https://www.theinstitutes.org/guide/onli...urses-free

Thanks for the advice! 

I took the Cyber Ethics course before, but took too long to complete it so have to retake it for credit. If is free and familiar so if it will count towards my Ethics req, should be a no brainer. Insurance seemed long and boring to me. lol

The OD courses and those videos were KILLING me. Takes sooooo long. I tried to do the Body sculpting course but quit cuz of all the forced videos and the questions were so vague.

Good idea for the American Government req. I hope the final is Open Book!!!

TESU said the CSM Learn would go towards the Math requirement which I also needed. i heard it could go either way. I haven't sent in the ACE transcript yet. So either I would have to take Math or Statistics.

I would ace the Med Terminology test with no studying so that is a sure thing. I guess I didn't want to pay for it, but to keep from reapplying, I can surely rock that test out!!

Thanks again for your reply!

The Med Terminology TECEP is only $50.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
"Good idea for the American Government req. I hope the final is Open Book!!!"

Study courses are not open book just so you know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

Hey, just wondering, this should be the list of courses that you need, but because you have completed an AAS Nursing, most of the Lower Level requirements should be complete already.  

Do the CSM Learn course for your Stats Requirement and do a Liberal Arts Math TECEP for enrollment purposes.  You should also use ModernStates.org to do a CLEP Mathematics just for credit and for practice.  

I usually recommend skipping the courses from providers that require memberships until last (SL/Study.com) - I actually would recommend doing the Onlinedegree.com courses for your free electives you need, it can be the Cooking 101 course or whatever, it's just free electives, can be anything.

I will update your thread with suggestions anyways, just indicate what course you need in your reply, or if you prefer, go down each one and type ** beside it to note you need a suggestion with this course.  

A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15
Written Communication  (6) - CLEP English Composition
Oral Communication (3) - Study.com Presentation Skills
Quantitative Literacy (3) - CLEP Mathematics (6)
Information Literacy (3) - Required at TESU - SOS 110

B. Civic and Global Learning 9
Diversity (3) - CLEP Intro to Sociology
Ethics (3) - FREE Ethics course on the Wiki
Civic Engagement (3) - CLEP American Government

C. Knowledge of Human Cultures 9
CLEP all 3 Psychology options for 9 credits
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World 9
CLEP any of the sciences and Information Systems
E. Mathematics/Statistics 3 - CSM Learn
F. General Education Electives 3  - CLEP Mathematics (6)

II. Professional Nursing Requirements 48
A. Lower Division 20
Your AAS Nursing should have gone into this area, most likely all 20 of the required credits.

B. Upper Division 28
NUR-342: Advancing Nursing Practice (3)
NUR-418: Research in Nursing (3)
NUR-428: Leadership and Management in Nursing (3)
NUR-443: Public Health Nursing (4)
NUR-445: Validating Nursing Competence (3)
NUR-516: Advanced Health Assessment* (3)
NUR-529: Health Policy* (3)
NUR-531: Nursing Informatics: Concepts and Issues* (3)
NUR-582: Financial Management in Nursing Practice* (3)

III. Electives 24

Complete all the free electives/general education courses you are interested in from Onlinedegree.com or ModernStates.org/CLEP, the reason is because the format is very very similar to Study.com/StraighterLine, it'll take you some time to get them completed as well.  If you really want, you can go TEEX/SL/Study.com for the easier ones, but doing the CLEP/MS or Onlinedegree.com saves cash for about the same energy/time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cwendy111
(03-12-2020, 08:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, just wondering, this should be the list of courses that you need, but because you have completed an AAS Nursing, most of the Lower Level requirements should be complete already.  

Do the CSM Learn course for your Stats Requirement and do a Liberal Arts Math TECEP for enrollment purposes.  You should also use ModernStates.org to do a CLEP Mathematics just for credit and for practice.  

I usually recommend skipping the courses from providers that require memberships until last (SL/Study.com) - I actually would recommend doing the Onlinedegree.com courses for your free electives you need, it can be the Cooking 101 course or whatever, it's just free electives, can be anything.

I will update your thread with suggestions anyways, just indicate what course you need in your reply, or if you prefer, go down each one and type ** beside it to note you need a suggestion with this course.  

A. Intellectual and Practical Skills 15
Written Communication  (6) - CLEP English Composition - Satisfied with AAS
Oral Communication (3) - Study.com Presentation Skills ** Heart Will do
Quantitative Literacy (3) - CLEP Mathematics (6) - ** Heart Going for SL Business statistics as I need to really learn Statistics and there is a stats requirement
Information Literacy (3) - Required at TESU - SOS 110  Angry

B. Civic and Global Learning 9
Diversity (3) - CLEP Intro to Sociology - Completed with AAS
Ethics (3) - FREE Ethics course on the Wiki   Passed The Institutes correct course today!
Civic Engagement (3) - CLEP American Government ** Heart Noted, will take on Modern States

C. Knowledge of Human Cultures 9 - Satisfied with AAS, DSST Drugs in Society
CLEP all 3 Psychology options for 9 credits - Satisfied with AAS
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World 9 Satisfied with AAS, DSST Intro to Computers
CLEP any of the sciences and Information Systems
E. Mathematics/Statistics 3 - CSM Learn - Completed CSM Learn will go to Math
F. General Education Electives 3  - CLEP Mathematics (6) Satisfied with AAS

II. Professional Nursing Requirements 48
A. Lower Division 20
Your AAS Nursing should have gone into this area, most likely all 20 of the required credits.

B. Upper Division 28 - ALL TESU online courses 
NUR-342: Advancing Nursing Practice (3)
NUR-418: Research in Nursing (3)
NUR-428: Leadership and Management in Nursing (3)
NUR-443: Public Health Nursing (4)
NUR-445: Validating Nursing Competence (3)
NUR-516: Advanced Health Assessment* (3)
NUR-529: Health Policy* (3)
NUR-531: Nursing Informatics: Concepts and Issues* (3)
NUR-582: Financial Management in Nursing Practice* (3)

III. Electives 24

Complete all the free electives/general education courses you are interested in from Onlinedegree.com or ModernStates.org/CLEP, the reason is because the format is very very similar to Study.com/StraighterLine, it'll take you some time to get them completed as well.  If you really want, you can go TEEX/SL/Study.com for the easier ones, but doing the CLEP/MS or Onlinedegree.com saves cash for about the same energy/time.

SH Earned: 10 - AAS transfer cr, DSST Here's to your Health, Medical Terminology TECEP (registered) 

Required: 22
Remaining: 12 - 6 on ACE, not transferred in yet. Waiting for 2 pending courses (TEEX, Institutes, counted above in Ethics req)

ACE credits for transfer:
Sophia (both free courses) 2cr
TEEX - Cyber Law and White Collar Crime 2cr
TEEX - Cyber Ethics 2cr (taking a long time for TEEX to approve this one. Finished 3/8/20

So, that leaves only 6 more credits of whatever I want!!!

Modern States CLEP Math sounds good as I can brush up the old math skills. Onlinedegree.com if free, but man those courses are grueling with those mandatory videos. AARGH!!!
Been looking for a Spanish for Health Professionals that isn't a semester format course online for 3 cr. May be a good time to take a TEEX Emergency management class. I like their format and when it isn't free, it's still way cheap!

Thanks as always for your input! You guys rock!!!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
(03-12-2020, 09:38 PM)cwendy111 Wrote: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Looking back on all the advice I was given vs what ended up actually happening.  Big Grin

I ended up taking the The Institutes Ethics course and was given credit for Ethics req. Whew!

CSM course did go to Math req. and am currently taking Sophia Stats for free, cuz FREE!!!

Took the TECEP Med Terminology as my enrollment course

Passed SL Personal Finance Sunday morning. (Elective. Active subscription from trying American Government and Statistics there, figured I needed to take something)

Currently taking 
ICC American Government, cuz FREE and I didn't know it all this time. Didn't like the SL option this or
 Stats. The SL course content was useless, so you are just reading the dang textbook. Not my style.

Sophia Intro to IT (FREE elective), Intro to Stats (FREE req)

All I need now is Oral Communications! I know bjcheung77 highly recommends SDC Presentation Skills. But with an active SL subscription AND free Sophia, do I still go that route? I have no more courses needed now except Nursing CORE and TESU Info to Literacy Cornerstone

****Did I mention, I'm thinking of going for the BALS CIS instead? All my nursing courses are accepted and I can always come back for the BSN or MSN (I think. Unconfirmed with TESU). I just want to finish a degree at this point and the BSN seems sooooo FAR away and hella expensive!!!!!! 

I have Healthcare IT experience and would still have a career pathway with any Bachelor's degree. The BSIT was appealing at first, but I would lose a lot of credits and not really wanting to take the higher level math courses. Obviously going for the BALS or BSIT changes things as far as what courses I need, but I haven't officially pulled the plug yet on the BSN. I think I think too much!!!!

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 522 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,294 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 232 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27