Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please Review My Degree Plan
First and foremost, thank you so much to everybody for all of the invaluable information on here.  I have spent the last three days reading as much as possible, and formulating a degree plan to get my BSBA from scratch.  My plan is to utilize as many Sophia courses as possible (based off the transferable TESU classes as of a couple of days ago - you can see them all here http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...ophia.org/).  

Initially, I was planning for a Finance AOS, but am having a very difficult time finding a sixth course that I can take to complete the AOS section.  So I have gone ahead and made a General Management plan as well.  Really I just want to start busting out my GE requirements while I can still take advantage of Sophia's free courses.

Attached are my two degree plans.  Is there anything you guys think I should change?  Any cheaper / easier courses to take in place of anything?  Any recommendations for my sixth course to complete the AOS in Finance? This is all very new to me, and your guys' guidance has been incredibly helpful. Any additionally Sophia courses I should take in case some of the previously listed courses don't transfer? Any further tips, tweaks, or changes would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
.xlsx   Degree Plan (Finance).xlsx (Size: 13.84 KB / Downloads: 17)
.xlsx   Degree Plan (General Management).xlsx (Size: 14.08 KB / Downloads: 30)
The Institute ethics isn't accepted anymore. Maybe the Sophia intro to ethics would be a good replacement.

Have a look at study.com for your AOS.
The plan looks great for both of them, the AOS works as it has all the requirements and the General Education looks good too.
I don't see anything needs to be changed as the Ethics course, you have it listed twice (Institutes & Sophia).

In the Gen Eds, you just need 6 courses, you have 7 there, so... they'll move the ethics from Sophia, into the Institutes ethics area. All so good - WOW for a first timer, you must have looked at a lot of plans!

I answered your Finance question in this thread, it points to another: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...quirements
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
For the 6th finance course try a tecep. Google the list of teceps there are a couple of fianance ones and federal income taxation which also might work. Id go ahead and ask which tecep would work.

Edit: actually i believe they all duplicate study.com except federal income taxation.

Once approved I would go ahead and register for a tecep. This is good because once you register for a tecep it locks in your catalog. This important because they change catalogs in July and since you are starting from scratch it seems unlikey you would be ready to sign up for the capstone in just 3 months or less. If tesu makes major changes come July then would be especially important.

You have 3 months to take a tecep. It is a test that is remote procotored. The formats vary (multiple chocie, essay,etc.) but it is listed on the test description. All graded p/f.

If the federal income taxation tecep doesn't get approved then you could do the money and banking dsst. Obviously you cant do it now because the testing centers are closed but you have time to do it later.
(03-27-2020, 01:24 PM)natshar Wrote:
If the federal income taxation tecep doesn't get approved then you could do the money and banking dsst.

The Federal Income Taxation TECEP does not work in the Finance AOS, it's an accounting course.  bjcheung77 gave you some options in another thread.  And UL/LL versions of courses you're taking already will work (like if you take a LL Prin of Finance for the core, you can take an UL Prin of Finance for the AOS).

(03-27-2020, 11:25 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: The Institute ethics isn't accepted anymore. Maybe the Sophia intro to ethics would be a good replacement.

Can you show me where you saw this?  It's the first I've heard of it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-27-2020, 02:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
If the federal income taxation tecep doesn't get approved then you could do the money and banking dsst.

The Federal Income Taxation TECEP does not work in the Finance AOS, it's an accounting course.  bjcheung77 gave you some options in another thread.  And UL/LL versions of courses you're taking already will work (like if you take a LL Prin of Finance for the core, you can take an UL Prin of Finance for the AOS).

(03-27-2020, 11:25 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: The Institute ethics isn't accepted anymore. Maybe the Sophia intro to ethics would be a good replacement.

I see now it is accounting. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask though. unless you know for sure.

As far as the insurance ethics not being tsken it is in the long thread about sopia being free.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid305248
(03-27-2020, 02:20 PM)natshar Wrote:

I see now it is accounting. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask though. unless you know for sure.

I know for sure, as it has an ACC prefix from the school itself.  And I know from years of helping people on here.  But it certainly can't hurt to ask.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you all for reviewing my plan, and for all of the help! Just a few more questions and points for clarification.

(03-27-2020, 11:59 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The plan looks great for both of them, the AOS works as it has all the requirements and the General Education looks good too.
I don't see anything needs to be changed as the Ethics course, you have it listed twice (Institutes & Sophia).

In the Gen Eds, you just need 6 courses, you have 7 there, so... they'll move the ethics from Sophia, into the Institutes ethics area. All so good - WOW for a first timer, you must have looked at a lot of plans!

I answered your Finance question in this thread, it points to another: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...quirements

I appreciate that! Definitely have been putting a in a massive amount of reading here these past few days haha.

To get things straight, a poster on the free Sophia course thread had mentioned that Sophia's Intro to Religion and The Institute's Ethics class are no longer accepted by TESU. Do you know of anyway that I can verify this? And considering that I have both of those courses on my plan, should I scrap Intro to Religion and The Institute's Ethics, and use Sophia's Ethics course for my Civic and Global Learning section rather than my GE Elective (do you know if that course would work for that section? I thought I read somewhere that it wouldn't.). For the GE Electives course, do I only need 6 courses because the cornerstone counts for 1 credit? So would I be better off adding Sophia's Essentials of Managing Conflict for 1 credit and then trying to find one more course to fill my last GE Elective slot? Which would total out to be TESU's Cornerstone, 6x 3 credit courses, and then Sophia's 1 credit course? Is that correct? Do you have any suggestions for getting another free 3 credits to add to the electives, since I will have to get rid of Intro to Religion and The Institute's Ethics course?

Just to clarify for the Finance AOS, my best option now would be to take the sixth class online at a community college then?

(03-27-2020, 01:24 PM)natshar Wrote: Once approved I would go ahead and register for a tecep. This is good because once you register for a tecep it locks in your catalog. This important because they change catalogs in July and since you are starting from scratch it seems unlikey you would be ready to sign up for the capstone in just 3 months or less. If tesu makes major changes come July then would be especially important.

You have 3 months to take a tecep. It is a test that is remote procotored. The formats vary (multiple chocie, essay,etc.) but it is listed on the test description. All graded p/f.

If the federal income taxation tecep doesn't get approved then you could do the money and banking dsst. Obviously you cant do it now because the testing centers are closed but you have time to do it later.

Could you expand on what it means by locking in my catalog? I am really new to all of this and am not sure what you mean. Do you mean that if I apply to take a TECP and then provide them with my degree plan before July then those classes will be a sure thing for me until I get my degree? I am mostly concerned about them breaking off their partnership with Sophia, as it would save me a ton of money to be able to take those free classes. So is there a way for me to take all of the Sophia courses before July and make sure they all transfer for credit? Would applying now to TESU be the best way to do that?

Also, for the Money and Banking DSST, wouldn't that duplicate my Financial Institutions and Markets class from study.com? On their website for Finance AOS they say "Financial Institutions and Markets OR Money and Banking."

(03-27-2020, 02:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know for sure, as it has an ACC prefix from the school itself.  And I know from years of helping people on here.  But it certainly can't hurt to ask.

Could I just call the school and ask, or do I need access to an advisor to be able to get an answer?
(03-27-2020, 04:02 PM)jacobvanhelden Wrote: Thank you all for reviewing my plan, and for all of the help! Just a few more questions and points for clarification.

(03-27-2020, 02:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know for sure, as it has an ACC prefix from the school itself.  And I know from years of helping people on here.  But it certainly can't hurt to ask.

Could I just call the school and ask, or do I need access to an advisor to be able to get an answer?

That's a good one to call about, as you're asking a general question that you wouldn't need to be a student to get an answer.  Just ask if their ACC-421 course will work in the BSBA/Finance AOS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 236 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 236 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 606 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 44 4,755 02-06-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  BACS Plan Verification mrobel 4 348 01-18-2024, 12:49 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 495 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
Information Advice on BS CIS Degree plan SaberTronnN 17 1,262 01-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,533 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM