Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please don't judge me!
Have you considered the partnership options available with EC? It does tie students into taking at least 12 credits with EC. It also brings enrollment down to $135 and classes to $800 each (3 credits).

Since I was always going to take the Capstone course with EC, this route opened up another reasonable source of upper level and/or interest courses.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Oh yes..definitely understandable! But it would at least cover the yearly enrollment (which, for TESC, I believe is somewhere just under 3k) if I am correct...right? :-p

Only if your actually taking classes there. Minimal half time for a half award (6 semester hours). 12 semester hours for a full time full grant award. You can also perhaps work out a consortium plan. I started to try and explain this to you in one of your other threads but you skipped over it. As far as I know there is no way around the requirement to be actually enrolled in and actively taking classes to get hold of the federal money.

A wise old Fire Chief once berated me in front of a roomfull of people. He put his finger on my chest and his nose was almost touching mine, he said "God gave you two ears and one mouth, so you could listen twice as much as you talked"....... Had a lot to teach that old guy.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Only if your actually taking classes there. Minimal half time for a half award (6 semester hours). 12 semester hours for a full time full grant award. You can also perhaps work out a consortium plan. I started to try and explain this to you in one of your other threads but you skipped over it. As far as I know there is no way around the requirement to be actually enrolled in and actively taking classes to get hold of the federal money.

A wise old Fire Chief once berated me in front of a roomfull of people. He put his finger on my chest and his nose was almost touching mine, he said "God gave you two ears and one mouth, so you could listen twice as much as you talked"....... Had a lot to teach that old guy.

I'm sorry, but sometimes I receive so many replies to my threads, I must have accidentally looked over yours. I'm thinking I may just have to go full-time one semester to get that full grant. Still need to research it. I hope it wasn't a total waste to apply for it. I'll be happy if it just covers my enrollment. I'm looking to knock out most of my stuff via ALEKS, FEMA, SL and CLEPS..in that order. I'll probably have around 45ish credits to earn my Bachelors, so that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 actual courses. Wish me luck Smile
irnbru Wrote:Have you considered the partnership options available with EC? It does tie students into taking at least 12 credits with EC. It also brings enrollment down to $135 and classes to $800 each (3 credits).

Since I was always going to take the Capstone course with EC, this route opened up another reasonable source of upper level and/or interest courses.

Thanks I, but isn't that still aheck of a lot more than clepping out for $109 per class? Thanks again!
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:I'm sorry, but sometimes I receive so many replies to my threads, I must have accidentally looked over yours. I'm thinking I may just have to go full-time one semester to get that full grant. Still need to research it. I hope it wasn't a total waste to apply for it. I'll be happy if it just covers my enrollment. I'm looking to knock out most of my stuff via ALEKS, FEMA, SL and CLEPS..in that order. I'll probably have around 45ish credits to earn my Bachelors, so that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 actual courses. Wish me luck Smile

You should confirm this with TESC, but I think you'd have to go full time (12 credits) for two semesters to get the full Pell. That would be a total of 24 credits for the year. You might be better off going with the comprehensive tuition option in order to take advantage of the full Pell. You may need to get loans to supplement it either way.

You need to do 6 credits in a semester to recieve your financial aid.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
alleycat Wrote:You need to do 6 credits in a semester to recieve your financial aid.

Yes, you can do that too, but you will not get the full $5500 if you do that. You'll probably get half that amount. And that's for the entire year, you don't get that much per semester.

Mian Wrote:Yes, you can do that too, but you will not get the full $5500 if you do that. You'll probably get half that amount. And that's for the entire year, you don't get that much per semester.

Yes that is true. I have had friends use their whole Pell up in two semester. In this case the thing to do is to get as much done as possible before enrolling. She will probably also have access to Stafford Loans.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
As long as my total out-of-pocket amount doesn't exceed $2,000 in the next 4 months then I can pay for it. I reallllly want to avoid loans in any amount. I'm super anti-loan:ack: . If anything, I can put it on a credit card. I have one that can provide cushion. It has a $2,000 limit.
You have been a member of this forum for two months now, you have over 300 post in that short time. How much time a day do you spend on this forum??

You said you finished one Aleks course, which course was that? Did you send it to ACE? Do you plan on doing more Aleks courses? WHEN?

You have asked a lot of questions and gotten A LOT of answers. Have you done anything else to further your persuit of a degree?

Have you even thought about which general ed exams you will do? Have you studied for any?

Maybe because it is Mother's day and I have children and grandchildren of college age, but the Mother in me is coming out?

Are you going to actually do something or are you just going to keep talking about it?? The longer you wait and waste time the less likely it is that you will graduate this year.

As a good friend of mine used to say you talk to much talk, but you don't do any walking of the walk.

If you want us to give you a break and/or take you seriously you need to $hit or get off the pot.:coolgleam:
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12