Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please don't judge me!
Lindagerr Wrote:You have been a member of this forum for two months now, you have over 300 post in that short time. How much time a day do you spend on this forum??

You said you finished one Aleks course, which course was that? Did you send it to ACE? Do you plan on doing more Aleks courses? WHEN?

You have asked a lot of questions and gotten A LOT of answers. Have you done anything else to further your persuit of a degree?

Have you even thought about which general ed exams you will do? Have you studied for any?

Maybe because it is Mother's day and I have children and grandchildren of college age, but the Mother in me is coming out?

Are you going to actually do something or are you just going to keep talking about it?? The longer you wait and waste time the less likely it is that you will graduate this year.

As a good friend of mine used to say you talk to much talk, but you don't do any walking of the walk.

If you want us to give you a break and/or take you seriously you need to $hit or get off the pot.:coolgleam:

Is all the attitude really necessary?
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:I reallllly want to avoid loans in any amount. I'm super anti-loan:ack: . If anything, I can put it on a credit card. I have one that can provide cushion. It has a $2,000 limit.

Just what exactly do you think a credit card is???

Credit cards have much higher interest rates than student loans, especially the subsidized direct-from-the-government loans.

Maybe you should start with some kind of personal finance class.

Lindagerr Wrote:If you want us to give you a break and/or take you seriously you need to $hit or get off the pot.:coolgleam:

:iagree: :willynilly:

Mian Wrote:Just what exactly do you think a credit card is???

Credit cards have much higher interest rates than student loans, especially the subsidized direct-from-the-government loans.

Maybe you should start with some kind of personal finance class.

Here's a credit card with 0% interest and no annual fee.

It also does not have the origination fees associated with a student loan. To me this seems a better solution for a relatively small, short-term debt.

Maybe you should try to post something that is actually informative and not condescending.

To everyone who is complaining about CS7's progress, take a moment to reflect on your own record, Speedy Gonzales.
The list I gave probably doesn't completely apply to COSC or EC because TESC considers a lot of courses as UL that other schools don't and their UL requirements are much lower.

Everyone's situation is different, but EC only accepted twenty-something of my credits while COSC and TESC accepted over 50. TESC was the only one to award me upper level credits. As an out-of-state student taking 6 credits at TESC, everything will cost me about $4338 to graduate. With 6 credits, you're probably only going to get a fourth of the $5550 grant. If you get around $1387.5 in grant money, you would have to come up with $2950.5.

If you only want to take 6 credits at Excelsior just to get some financial aid, it should be about $3965 to graduate in comparison to TESC's $4338. Charter Oak should be about $2708. I opted for TESC because my community college courses with books cost about as much as an ECE without study materials. TESC is the only school I know of that will take a LL course and give UL credit for it if it matches one of their UL courses. I could be incorrect in my assumption, but COSC and EC didn't do this with me.

By the way, I just found out that Charter Oak only awards 3 UL credits out of the 18 for the Psychology GRE.
wb.john Wrote:Here's a credit card with 0% interest and no annual fee.

It also does not have the origination fees associated with a student loan. To me this seems a better solution for a relatively small, short-term debt.

Maybe you should try to post something that is actually informative and not condescending.

To everyone who is complaining about CS7's progress, take a moment to reflect on your own record, Speedy Gonzales.

Wow, thank you! I really appreciate your maturity. I'm actually undergoing some evasive procedures as I am an ovarian cancer risk and I'm glad to see how some people on here feel better blowing up on others. I find it really disappointing and don't expect grown adults to act this way. I realize that I am all over the place, but I am struggling with medications and not "all there", I admit. I don't at all feel like myself and it's extremely frustrating, then to top off Linda, and other ladies (mainly) who come on here to "beat up" on me, per se, is not helping. Can I ask why you don't just block me? If asking my questions really harms you that much, then just press the ignore button.
I have expressed my gratitude in previous threads and even made it a point to say that it is not my intention to upset anyone.

Lastly, my credit card offers an awesome rewards system and yes I realize it's a "loan", but if I am going to have to use any money, I may as well be rewarded and earn some points right?

In conclusion, I hope you feel better about yourselves and like a better person for some of the nasty things that you have posted on here. While I am completely scramble-brained, right now, one thing I'm not is nasty and cruel.
sanantone Wrote:The list I gave probably doesn't completely apply to COSC or EC because TESC considers a lot of courses as UL that other schools don't and their UL requirements are much lower.

Everyone's situation is different, but EC only accepted twenty-something of my credits while COSC and TESC accepted over 50. TESC was the only one to award me upper level credits. As an out-of-state student taking 6 credits at TESC, everything will cost me about $4338 to graduate. With 6 credits, you're probably only going to get a fourth of the $5550 grant. If you get around $1387.5 in grant money, you would have to come up with $2950.5.

If you only want to take 6 credits at Excelsior just to get some financial aid, it should be about $3965 to graduate in comparison to TESC's $4338. Charter Oak should be about $2708. I opted for TESC because my community college courses with books cost about as much as an ECE without study materials. TESC is the only school I know of that will take a LL course and give UL credit for it if it matches one of their UL courses. I could be incorrect in my assumption, but COSC and EC didn't do this with me.

By the way, I just found out that Charter Oak only awards 3 UL credits out of the 18 for the Psychology GRE.

Hey san. I am looking to go full-time, even if it means me having to stop working. It just makes more sense from what I have seen. I can sacrifice a couple of months and have a Bachelors and open the doors to more interviews/jobs rather than drag it out.

Out of curiousity, how many credits did you try to get TESC to transfer and which ones did they not accept? Thanks for your information.
wb.john Wrote:Here's a credit card with 0% interest and no annual fee.

Both the subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans are basically a same-as-cash deal. If you return the money within a certain time period (I believe 6 months) you are not charged any interest, fees or anything.

I used this to my advantage when I was attending B&M schools. I took the maximum student loan amounts (stafford subsidized and unsubsidized) and I kept the money in a savings account to earn interest then repaid it before the time was up. This had not only the effect of earning me a little extra in interest (which, btw, more than made up for the origination fee*), but also it raised my credit score and my auto and home insurance went down. You can't really do that with a $2,000 limit credit card.

Note that you don't have to make any payments on the student loan during that "free" period, where even with a 0% "introductory" credit card, you will have to start making payments within a short time (probably maximum 60 days) and if you're late or miss a payment, you will incur a fee and a rate hike.

In addition, if you do have to enter a repayment plan on the student loan (and I'd suspect someone poor enough to receive a full Pell has a very high chance of that), your interest is tax deductible later when you do start working. Not so with credit card interest. You also start running into very high fees if you're late or miss payments with credit cards. I suppose on the downside of student loans if you ever declare bankruptcy they are pretty much impossible to discharge.

Also, origination fees on Stafford loans are ridiculously low, like 1%. You'd more than make up for that on the high credit card interest rate in the event you had to enter a repayment plan. I also thought these fees were phased out last year, though I'm not sure on that, I'm not using loans at this point so haven't looked into all the recent changes to them.

However, none of this is really the point. For someone who in one breath claims to be so anti-loan and in the next breath wants to finance her education with credit cards ... do I even need to explain how ridiculous that sounds?

I don't know why I bothered to get involved in this at all, it was a mistake on my part. It won't happen again. If she wants to finance her education with credit cards when she has better options, or change schools because she can't have her heart's desire printed on the diploma, or whatever else it will be tomorrow...well, good luck with that.

*Adding that even if you don't return the full amount, your origination fee will be reduced by the amount you return. The amount earned in the savings account during the semester will probably have earned you enough to cover the entire remaining origination fee. So it's a moot point anyway.

Mian Wrote:Both the subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans are basically a same-as-cash deal. If you return the money within a certain time period (I believe 6 months) you are not charged any interest, fees or anything.

I used this to my advantage when I was attending B&M schools. I took the maximum student loan amounts (stafford subsidized and unsubsidized) and I kept the money in a savings account to earn interest then repaid it before the time was up. This had not only the effect of earning me a little extra in interest (which, btw, more than made up for the origination fee*), but also it raised my credit score and my auto and home insurance went down. You can't really do that with a $2,000 limit credit card.

Note that you don't have to make any payments on the student loan during that "free" period, where even with a 0% "introductory" credit card, you will have to start making payments within a short time (probably maximum 60 days) and if you're late or miss a payment, you will incur a fee and a rate hike.

In addition, if you do have to enter a repayment plan on the student loan (and I'd suspect someone poor enough to receive a full Pell has a very high chance of that), your interest is tax deductible later when you do start working. Not so with credit card interest. You also start running into very high fees if you're late or miss payments with credit cards. I suppose on the downside of student loans if you ever declare bankruptcy they are pretty much impossible to discharge.

Also, origination fees on Stafford loans are ridiculously low, like 1%. You'd more than make up for that on the high credit card interest rate in the event you had to enter a repayment plan. I also thought these fees were phased out last year, though I'm not sure on that, I'm not using loans at this point so haven't looked into all the recent changes to them.

This is a small, short-term debt. I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of getting a student loan when it offers no advantage.

Mian Wrote:I don't know why I bothered to get involved in this at all, it was a mistake on my part. It won't happen again. If she wants to finance her education with credit cards when she has better options, or change schools because she can't have her heart's desire printed on the diploma, or whatever else it will be tomorrow...well, good luck with that.

I think CS7's primary concern is the legitimacy of the degree, not what is printed on the diploma.

I don't understand why a forum that is usually supportive has turned so sour towards CS7.
wb.john Wrote:I think CS7's primary concern is the legitimacy of the degree, not what is printed on the diploma.

I don't understand why a forum that is usually supportive has turned so sour towards CS7.

Hello wb.john.

If I may, you are incorrect. I am not going to get into a back and forth with you but I would ask that you do some reading up on her posts. Start at number one and see all those who instantly jumped onboard and began answering questions and helping out as always. Then watch how the mind keeps changing all the way through even throwing out ideas of purchasing a mill degree. Oh, I'm sorry, that was a joke. Even now all is being blamed on the threat of cancer (which I take very seriously btw) and medications. Don't get caught up in the drama. You and by nature of the discussion, Linda, have now completed the drama triangle. BTW, the reason Linda chimed in the way she did was that she was one of the persons who tried to help CS7 from the beginning because one of the many degrees she asked about Linda actually holds.

Please let it go. You are attacking the wrong people. You are an obvious white knight which is commendable but this is no damsel in distress. Hope this helps you to understand where everyone's coming from.

bb

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!