Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please help me choose my future!
Hi everybody. First I'd like to say that this is an amazing community - very helpful and encouraging. Smile

I was hoping if some of you could please shed some light on which one of the "Big Three" would be best for my situation and which path to take.

Basically, I'm a 20 year old with nothing but a GED... I pretty much have a clean slate except that I do professional video production as a hobby/side business.

My goal is to be able to transfer to a Master's program at my local university. I'm interested in the following: Anthropology, Business/Management/Administration... but honestly, at the end of the day, my main concern is to be able to finish quickly and efficiently... and then transfer to a Master's program. What do you all think is the best route?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give. Thanks a lot!
Quote:Basically, I'm a 20 year old with nothing but a GED... I pretty much have a clean slate except that I do professional video production as a hobby/side business.

First off congratulations on your GED. For the sake of argument lets drop the hobby label and say that you are a professional photographer. Do you shoot video? Do you do your own editing? AVID ? Final Cut Pro? Premiere? Are you well versed in other Adobe products in the CS3 CS4 collections....Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator, Dreamweaver...Did you design your own website? How do you market your services? Do you shoot mostly weddings or commercial work?

Are you familiar with Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more where for $25 per month you can learn just about any product out there. Have you ever considered Instructional Technology, which utilizes all of the above and challenges you to be extremely multi-dimensional in your approach to product creation. Are you familiar with Adobe Captivate 4, one of the best products available for creating online training programs and courses for private industry or education?

At 20, why do you want to blow through a Bachelors degree so quickly? Is it because you have a definite Masters in mind or is it because you feel the Masters is the golden ticket? Sometimes its the journey, not the destination.

Why not be more deliberate in your choice of a Bachelors. There are things you can learn along the way. Take photography....the proper techniques of composition. of color, of design, post production etc...

OK, enough blah, blah, blahhing....

All Bachelors require around 60 credits of general education. I would begin the journey by knocking off those. Instacert is remarkable for that. I would also try some onilne courses that may interest you. Clovis Community College has a Desktop Publishing course and a number of other similar courses that will set you back only about $125 bucks (for 6 credits), and will help get you acclimated to online learning. You may love it, you may hate it, but you won't know it until you try. Course Schedule My guess is that you might enjoy a multi dimensional approach to your goal of getting a Bachelors degree.

At 20, it shouldn't be about just getting a piece of paper. You can get a degree in an efficient economical manner, but take a little time and try a couple of different courses so that your education choice makes sense now and in the future.

Any of the Big Three could work for you. Good luck on your journey.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Quote:Sometimes its the journey, not the destination.
Thanks for all the wonderful advice! I really really appreciate it.

I actually got into video accidentally when my high school entered me into a national video competition... to make a long story short... I ended up getting first place!!! Smile Eventually, I went into making promotional videos and recording events for non-profit organizations. Through that route, I learned much of what it takes to make more and more professional looking videos.

Thanks for the link, I've actually used some of those tutorials in the past. And with that in mind, I always found myself to be more of a self learner and researcher when it came to technology and in this case, videography. That's why I'm not too interested in pursuing a degree in either of those areas...

Anyways, I'm sure you might have guessed it, but there is a slight need of urgency in terms my finishing of a degree. I'll send you an email to explain... and maybe get some more advice. Smile

Anyone else who can provide some more insight?
I really enjoyed the email you wrote explaining your background, and reasons for wanting to complete a Bachelors degree in a timely manner. I have a 22 year old son that I am currently guiding through his BSBA CIS from Thomas Edison State College (TESC). I have another son that I am guiding through a BA Computer Science from TESC. They both rolled their eyes when I decided to complete me degree 2 ½ years ago. Then they saw me complete a BS Business, then go on to both an MBA and another Masters program at the local University, in the time that they struggled to complete three or four more classes. Eventually they both came to me and said “Dad, show me how to do it!”

Here is what I will tell you…a business degree has a great deal of utility. I earned a business degree following the Instacert path, so I know firsthand that it is possible using the guidance from this forum. The Instacert material in the area of business is clear, concise and accurate. If you take the time to understand the flash card method then you will do well. Now what areyou actually learning? You are learning the language of each subject area, (just like video production) the concepts, the buzzwords, etc…Here is an analogy... You and I could take a complete novice and explain to them the 1/3rd rule in photography or how to frame your subject by breaking the canvas into thirds. That one concept is the most important of all, in terms of what your final product will look like. It will make or break a photographer. Instacert is the same with the business subject areas…you learn only the most critical concepts of each subject area. …but the key is, you do learn the language and overall concepts of each area. You will graduate having learned the language and concepts of business the same as if you spent 4 years in a chair in a classroom. This is what you explain to your parents. You learn only the KEY CONCEPTS of each area.

You may decide to spend another three or four months to earn a business degree as opposed to a Liberal Arts degree, but it may be worth the extra time now, as opposed to later. Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Statistics, Intro to Computers, Intro to Management, Intro to Marketing, Financial Accounting, Principles of Finance, Business Law, and Business Policy can all be passed using Instacert.

My advice to you is to go out and purchase the current Official CLEP guide (around $25 bucks) which has all of the CLEP subject area guides and test exams. You can peruse each subject area and get an idea of how prepared you are for each exam. I personally reviewed Humanities and Social Sciences & History in the Official CLEP guide, realized I knew the majority of the answers in both areas, took both exams and earned 12 credits in less than 4 hours without any study whatsoever. My son did the same with College Math and Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (12 credits in one day). If you can go take a couple of CLEP tests in areas you are familiar with, and walk out of the testing center with college credit, you will be hooked.

Can you do this from scratch in less than a year? If you follow the advice from this forum and stay motivated... yes. I would knock off the general studies areas first (which you need for any degree), then you can decide whether to get a BSBA from TESC or Excelsior or maybe a subject area specialization in Management from Charter Oak....or you knock off the majority of your credits this way (testing out), enroll in the City College of New York onilne business degree, and finish the remaining credits with them,Online B.S. in Business

Do the degrees from the Big Three carry enough weight to get you into graduate school? Most graduate schools require a Bachelors degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of 3.0, period. The Big Three all fit the bill. Will a degree from the Big Three qualify you for entrance into a Gradute program at an ABET accredited Engineering School? This would be more difficult, without years of experience. Please understand that most schools now offer online degrees. In Florida, 60% of students take online courses. The only thing you will be doing if you follow this route is completing your degree in a more timely and efficient manner. Same end result, an RA degree that gets you into Grad school.

Good luck whatever you choose! you have many options to choose from.
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
One more thing my friend....how about striking a deal with your parents. If you can get into a graduate degree at Harvard, and it will cost the same or less than a graduate degree from the state university, will they support you? If I was 20 with your background, I would go for the Graduate degree in Digital Media Arts and Sciences here Graduate Program in Information Technology: Harvard Extension School

BTW, your Big Three degree would be good enough to get you into this Harvard program.
Thanks a lot! You have single handedly motivated me to set up an appointment for a CLEP this coming Wednesday!
Geezer Wrote:They both rolled their eyes when I decided to complete me degree 2 ½ years ago. Then they saw me complete a BS Business, then go on to both an MBA and another Masters program at the local University, in the time that they struggled to complete three or four more classes. Eventually they both came to me and said “Dad, show me how to do it!”
This made me laugh! What's that saying about age & experience beating youth every time? Big Grin Even so, everyone here has been extremely helpful to me in finally completing my degree (or rather I will do so shortly). I'd just about given up before I discovered this forum and learned how I could do it. See? You can teach an old dog new tricks! Wink
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Quote:Thanks a lot! You have single handedly motivated me to set up an appointment for a CLEP this coming Wednesday!

We were all in the same boat at one time or another. Being resourceful is a very important life skill. Never underestimate the determination that you utilized to move forward and get your GED, to learn videography, and to now take on the challenge of earning your degree. You didn't give up, you kept pressing forward. No one can question your resourcefulness. In time, your parents, relatives and friends will come to understand and admire that quality in you.
Quote:This made me laugh! What's that saying about age & experience beating youth every time?

This whole thing started when I decided to take a couple of computer courses at the CC my sons were attending. My first epiphany came when I went to order books and found out, I could buy them used. So I asked my sons if they ever ordered used books, they looked at me like I was crazy. Then I asked my oldest if he at least saved his old books that he knew his younger brother would use the next year. He said no he traded them in at the book store for $20 each. So let me get this straight I said " You take general ed courses. I pay $150 a book for new books, at the end of the semester, you sell them back to the bookstore for $20, then the next semster your brother takes the same class and I spend another $150 bucks for the same book, that he sells back to the bookstore for $20. Did it ever occur to you to offer to sell me your used book for $40 bucks so I can save the $110 off the cost of the new book for your brother." It was then and there that I figured I better pay closer attention to their education.hilarious
I would suggest finding what you're good at and what you really like to do. There isn'ta any pressure to choose a degree right off- you've got about a year or more (if you go at a 2 1/2 year completion plan) to decide what you'll do. Start CLEPping away and gaining some credits, and fill your free elective quota (15-27 credits needed there) with courses that you like, or think you would like. Business is a great way to gain some of these; go for the management, finance, marketing, law etc. like someone posted already, and know your math. That will be a hugh help. Dont forget to check out DSST exams DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com They have a whole array of similar courses that you'd appreciate and are worth the same credits as CLEP. TESC like them both.
Good luck. Don't rush through, although you can, and enjoy what you're experiancing and learning along the way.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan warriortaupou 4 1,421 05-17-2018, 11:38 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
Thumbs Up Future TESU BSBA Marketing or GM degree? Baloomuka 36 6,549 04-11-2018, 07:01 AM
Last Post: allvia
  How did you choose from the Big 3? Tripletmom 27 4,974 03-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  advice for which degree and college to choose mikeid811 3 1,147 12-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Which of the Big 3 should I choose if CLEP will be paid for? ajunkyarddog 7 1,312 06-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fresh Start on BSBA Finance. How do I strategize for future? singhrr 5 855 03-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Communications vs Marketing? Which to choose. smrt 7 1,064 12-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  January 2016 TESC to TESU and my struggle to choose between TESC and COSC RobertBSBA 7 1,044 11-29-2015, 11:02 PM
Last Post: smrt
  Planning For The Future ctlw83 47 3,328 05-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Which School to Choose for a Dual Baccalaureate Degree, COSC or TESC? Chicagoinvictus 28 2,803 08-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Last Post: sanantone