Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me plan | Dual major BA: CS and BA: Comm. | CC to TESU
Heart 
Good evening, everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

I would be grateful if someone could assist me in planning the credits I require.
So, I'm currently enrolled in my local NJ community college as well as TESU (3+1 program)
I'm nearing the end of my community college education. My summer semester ends on August 18th, and I will begin my fall semester once it begins. That will be my final semester of community college.

I'd like to know which Sophia or Study.com credits I can take while finishing community college, as well as some general advice.
Please keep in mind that I must take 16 credits at TESU in order to avoid the residency waiver.

TESU Major: BA in Computer Science and BA in Communications (yet to add)

Here are the Sophia and Study.com courses that I have added to my TESU transcript.
Quote:(TESU Transfered)
MAN-331 Human Resources Management CR 3.00 
ENG-306 Inter. Tech. Wrtg. & Prof. Wt. CR 3.00
BUS-101 Introduction to Business CR 3.00
COM-299 Special Topics Communications CR 3.00
CIS-107 Computer Concepts and Appl CR 3.00
PHI-226 Ancient Greek Philosophy CR 3.00
FIN-200 Principles of Finance CR 3.00
ACC-101 Prin. of Finl Acctg CR 3.00
ECO-112 Microeconomics CR 3.00
HIS-114 American History II CR 3.00
HIS-113 American History I CR 3.00

Here is my community college transcript after I finish all my courses

Quote:(Community college)
CSS-100 College Student Success 1CR
ENG-101 College Comp I 3CR
ENG-102 College Comp II 3CR
MAT-110 Precalculus 4CR
MAT-111 Calculus I 4CR
MAT-112 Calculus II 4CR
PHY-113 Physics I 4CR
ECO-201 Principles of Macroeconomics 3CR
PSC-102 American Government 3CR
HUM-101 Cultures and Values 3CR
ENG-112 Speech 3CR
CSC-117 Java Programming 3CR
CSC-226 Database Design and Concepts 3CR
CHP-111 College Chemistry I 4CR
CSC-231 Info Systems Analysis & Design 3CR
CSC-113 Computer Logic & Discrete Math 3CR
CSC-227 Intro to Operating Systems 3CR
CSC-115 Programming in C++ for Comp Sc 3CR
CSC-240 Intro to Networks & Networking 3CR
MAT-100 College Algebra 3CR

Thanks guys
As far as I'm aware, Communications is a degree that you can NOT complete entirely, or even mostly, using alternate credit. SDC only has ONE course that counts as UL Communication credit: Business 313 comes in as COM-391.

Comp Sci is easy: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan Do all the UL credits at SDC as outlined on the wiki page + pick up Software Engineering from TESU and you've got your UL credits done. I'm not 100% sure where TESU will slot most of your CSC courses without seeing an actual evaluation from them but it looks like you've got almost everything completed except Discrete Math.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Lightorb333
For CompSci, I show the following:
1) if HUM-101 Cultures and Values comes in as your diversity requirement, then you need Ethics; if it comes in as Ethics, then you need Diversity; if it comes in as neither, then you need both, and that course is not needed at all
2) Remaining GE is done
3) If 1 of your 2 programming courses (C++ or Java) come in as your Intro to Programming requirement, then great; if not, then you'll need that
4) you need Data Structures
5) You need Computer Architecture, either from TESU or Study.com
6) You need the 3 UL courses from Study.com as your electives:
- BUS 303: Management Info Systems
- COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design (yes, you took this, but as LL and you need UL)
- COMPSCI 303: Database Management (yes, you took this, but as LL and you need UL)
7) you need 1 more UL course, some take the Network Technology TECEP

That's it, you are good. So, if you want to take your 16cr from TESU, you may still want to take all of your UL from Study.com even though you will want to replace some with TESU courses; TESU won't let you take your Capstone until you have most/all of your UL completed, so if you have those already done, then you can do the 16cr in a single term deal, and take whichever UL courses are easiest for you (or even take some easy LL ones, including:
- Computer Concepts and Applications (CIS-107) course or e-Pack
- Principles of Statistics (STA-201) course or e-Pack
- Introduction to Sociology (SOC-101) course or e-Pack (and this will count for diversity)
- Marriage and the Family (SOC-210) course or e-Pack (and this will count for diversity)
- Any Mathematics course
- anything else easy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You won't get a Comm degree from TESU for cheap, so not sure if it's worth it.

But, if you wanted to consider getting those courses with your 16cr instead of easy CompSci, you could give it a shot.
1) Communication Theory - possibility of getting this from CC? Otherwise TESU
2) Mass Comm I - same
3) Mass Comm II - same
4) Study.com courses
- BUS 305: Leadership Communication (UL)
- BUS 313: Organizational Communication (UL)
- BUS 324: Managerial Communication (UL)
- BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management (UL)
- BUS 113: Business Communication
- COM 102: Interpersonal Communication
- COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Work Place
- COM 301: Diversity & Intercultural Communications

Sophia courses (LL) can replace any of the LL Study.com courses:
- Communication at Work
- Conflict Resolution
- Visual Communications

Coopersmith courses (not sure what they com in as, you'd need to know that in advance):
COM-102: Principles of Group Communication (UL)
COM-103: Principles of Intercultural Communication
COM-201: Nonverbal Communication
ETH-330: Ethics of Speech I
ETH-335: Ethics of Speech II (UL)

The main issue is going to be making sure you have Mass Comm I taken prior to Mass Comm II, which makes it impossible to get your 16cr in a single term done if you don't.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Lightorb333
Thank you for your assistance, rachel83az and dfrecore. It has genuinely aided me in the right direction.
I'm still debating whether or not I should pursue a dual major.
I wanted to do it because I expect to receive financial aid, and because I've already transferred a significant amount of credit, there will be less financial aid available unless I dual major to take more TESU classes.

Would you guys recommended doing a dual major it in this circumstance? and what minor?
It depends on the kind of financial aid. If you mean a Pell Grant, bjcheung77 seems to have that all figured out. How many credits are you wanting to take at TESU? A few options:
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
If you have financial aid, that still doesn't make up for time lost - yes, you'll get more courses paid for, but that doesn't mean it's worth doing another major.

So, in my opinion, you need to decide how you want to handle the financial aid, before deciding whether or not you want to get the dual degree. You can always use it for a single degree. You can use it for a single 16-credit term. You can use it all kinds of ways.

What I wouldn't do though, is drag out the degree process, and make it take much longer just to use up financial aid. That really doesn't make much sense.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 277 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 410 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 215 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Interim & Future Plan - Machine Learning mweichert 6 341 03-18-2024, 03:45 AM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 783 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 853 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  Feedback Request on Degree Plan: UMPI BA in Project Management FM1 23 1,577 03-14-2024, 10:48 AM
Last Post: skite
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 628 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts